Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why do they send scouts? We know who these players are, you can see them as well on video, why bother in this day and age?

Are they starting negotiations or putting feelers by doing this? They could call. It seems an archaic system for players you know by now.

Even with widescreen HD, you might miss a few things if the camera angle switches.

And I just have to laugh that I started a debate amongst Pens fans over Schultz.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Even with widescreen HD, you might miss a few things if the camera angle switches.

And I just have to laugh that I started a debate amongst Pens fans over Schultz.

It's far better than having to listen to Habs fans demand half a prospect pool for Jeff freaking Petry as if he were a prime 1D.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Why do they send scouts? We know who these players are, you can see them as well on video, why bother in this day and age?

Are they starting negotiations or putting feelers by doing this? They could call. It seems an archaic system for players you know by now.

There are things you can see better in person. You can specifically focus on that player, focus closer on things like skating. Scouts still very much serve a purpose.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think McPhee and McCrimmon with pressure from ownership will continue to be short-sighted and will overpay to add at the expense of the future. McPhee loves to overpay if he loves the target.

Reactions: CupInSIX

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think McPhee and McCrimmon with pressure from ownership will continue to be short-sighted and will overpay to add at the expense of the future. McPhee loves to overpay if he loves the target.

Wish they would shop at the Goodwill store, not pay full asking price for our good young players on good contracts. Build a long-term powerhouse, not "go for it" which probably isn't happening this year anyway.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Foley seems to be not as great an owner as he seemed at the beginning.

Of course he is going to charge over the top for everything, raise ticket prices and be a ruthless businessman, he has probably made his money back already and is just making money hand over fist. That's standard billionaire things.

But he seems to only care about getting a Cup as fast as possible because he, himself, is old and wants it for himself. Not building a team that will be competitive for long periods of time for their community and be run the correct way for long term success. That inaugural run, or Foley's reaction to it, could be bad for the franchise.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Foley seems to be not as great an owner as he seemed at the beginning.

Of course he is going to charge over the top for everything, raise ticket prices and be a ruthless businessman, he has probably made his money back already and is just making money hand over fist. That's standard billionaire things.

But he seems to only care about getting a Cup as fast as possible because he, himself, is old and wants it for himself. Not building a team that will be competitive for long periods of time for their community and be run the correct way for long term success. That inaugural run, or Foley's reaction to it, could be bad for the franchise.

doubt it’s age related. Would be more an overreaction to year one thinking the team is close and wanting to win, future be damned.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

There are things you can see better in person. You can specifically focus on that player, focus closer on things like skating. Scouts still very much serve a purpose.

Exactly.

For prospects, scouts sometimes share their observations. You can also begin conversations with coaches, billets, to help understand player's character.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
3ncbwx.jpg

Reactions: Vegan Knight

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Even with widescreen HD, you might miss a few things if the camera angle switches..
Seriously- I think that question was rhetorical. It's called due diligence. If you're making a decision that has multi-million dollar implications, would you just "watch the video"?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

You should do a meme about Canadiens fans ask for Jeff Petry. It's almost comical at this point.

A top pick. Your best prospect. Your third best current defenseman.....Another pick. A goal scoring winger under 25 years old.....The blood of a first born son.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There was an Athletic article where I think Custance took fan proposals and gave them to an actual exec to gauge his reaction and there was a Vegas trade.

Someone suggested Tuch, 1st and 2nd for Werenski. Exec didn't shoot it down totally, said Columbus would say no but would have to talk about it.

Also, the exec loves Dumba personally but still wouldn't move Boeser for him and knows Vancouver would not. Custance said he doesn't believe it will be as easy to move him as Minnesota fans are thinking because of his cap hit.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There was an Athletic article where I think Custance took fan proposals and gave them to an actual exec to gauge his reaction and there was a Vegas trade.

Someone suggested Tuch, 1st and 2nd for Werenski. Exec didn't shoot it down totally, said Columbus would say no but would have to talk about it.

Also, the exec loves Dumba personally but still wouldn't move Boeser for him and knows Vancouver would not. Custance said he doesn't believe it will be as easy to move him as Minnesota fans are thinking because of his cap hit.

No doubt they've seen a lot of Morozov playing with Marchenko...

Although they'd be dumb to move Werenski.
Minnesota might want Morozov...

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
No doubt they've seen a lot of Morozov playing with Marchenko...

Although they'd be dumb to move Werenski.
Minnesota might want Morozov...

If Custance is right that the Dumba value could be lower now than fans think and if they would like Morozov we could possibly get him without it being too painful.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You should do a meme about Canadiens fans ask for Jeff Petry. It's almost comical at this point.

A top pick. Your best prospect. Your third best current defenseman.....Another pick. A goal scoring winger under 25 years old.....The blood of a first born son.

Someone proposed Petry for Cernak, Gourde, a 1st and the blood of 2 first borns. :scared:

Best of luck, Lighting bros.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Someone proposed Petry for Cernak, Gourde, a 1st and the blood of 2 first borns. :scared:

Best of luck, Lighting bros.

I do not want Petry. I know plus minus isn't the best stat but he's 32 and has had one season of plus 1 during the lockout shortened season and one season of plus 3 in a full season...in his entire career. Defensive partners and schemes come and go but he keeps putting up minuses.

That can't be a 1D or even a good 2D, I don't care if plus minus isn't the best indicator, 1 and good 2D don't go their entire careers with that.

He's a 45 point offensively minded defenseman who is middle pairing defensively and RH. And he's 32 and has a 5.75M cap hit and signed for a whopping one extra season.

I don't want to give up a 1st round piece for that. At all.

Especially considering the other defensemen available for cheaper and the fact we have good pieces on defense for now and promising defensemen for the future. And there's some in UFA we could look at.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
According to Granger, the pieces you would think would be off limits he seems to believe are.

He mentioned Stastny, Tuch, Elvenes, Dugan, Whitecloud, Coghlan, Schuldt and the 2021 1st as the most likely moved if Vegas makes a big trade.

The big salaries playing on bottom lines are the obvious choices to move salary.

I think as long as they don't make a mistake giving up too much for Petry (ugh) or Dumba then I'm not sure what would even cost those assets rather than our 2nds. Good thing Montreal are playing well and probably wouldn't want to trade Petry.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
According to Granger, the pieces you would think would be off limits he seems to believe are.

He mentioned Stastny, Tuch, Elvenes, Dugan, Whitecloud, Coghlan, Schuldt and the 2021 1st as the most likely moved if Vegas makes a big trade.

The big salaries playing on bottom lines are the obvious choices to move salary.

I think as long as they don't make a mistake giving up too much for Petry (ugh) or Dumba then I'm not sure what would even cost those assets rather than our 2nds. Good thing Montreal are playing well and probably wouldn't want to trade Petry.

wish he wouldn't. I knew McCrimmon wouldn't pass up an opportunity to draft Schneider (or Greig).

Stastny is the most interesting name though. A playoff team would definitely want him, and although he clicks real well with Patches and Stone he slows them down too much. He's on pace to hit similar numbers from his St Louis days.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
wish he wouldn't. I knew McCrimmon wouldn't pass up an opportunity to draft Schneider (or Greig).

Stastny is the most interesting name though. A playoff team would definitely want him, and although he clicks real well with Patches and Stone he slows them down too much. He's on pace to hit similar numbers from his St Louis days.

He said Stastny is on pace for his most goals in a while but his playmaking ability has been almost non-existent and that's what they wanted him for, and that Stephenson has looked great with Pacioretty and Stone so it would make a trade more reasonable.

I would add that next season they should be able to do with Stastny traded and find centers to fill that spot.

Though I don't think I'm as high on Stephenson as some seem to be, he has shown some good ability that he could be a solid enough 3C but he definitely isn't skilled enough to play with Pacioretty and Stastny. I have noticed him not in the position they want him to be, fumbling passes and generally what Caps fans said, flattering to deceive.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Trading Stastny makes no sense. He is currently the 2nd best center we have and the teams that would want him would be contenders. Those teams would be offering picks/prospects to bolster their rosters not hockey trades.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Trading Stastny makes no sense. He is currently the 2nd best center we have and the teams that would want him would be contenders. Those teams would be offering picks/prospects to bolster their rosters not hockey trades.

The Pens could use a forward like Stastny and Schultz would probably be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad