Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Shea Theodore extension with Vegas (7 years, $5.2M AAV)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
No leverage at all and he gets over $5M per year. Am I the only one who thinks that Vegas overpaid? That money is in the same tier as Lindholm/Rielly/Jones etc. Admittedly it bought more UFA years but Theodore isn’t half the Dman those guys are.
He definitely is pretty close to the tier they were in when they signed their contract.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What a gamble!

Suprorises so many don’t like it after the majority said Nylander for Theodore wasn’t fair for Vegas.

I think this deal will be decent in a couple years but I don’t expect it to ever be great. Same risk Toronto took with Rielly and Dallas with Kling

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
No leverage at all and he gets over $5M per year. Am I the only one who thinks that Vegas overpaid? That money is in the same tier as Lindholm/Rielly/Jones etc. Admittedly it bought more UFA years but Theodore isn’t half the Dman those guys are.
You’re not alone. Stunned to see all the props for it. Too much for too long for a guy that hasn’t proven much yet. Great agent though.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Both sides coming off as smart here. If Theodore really is as good as he looked last year (I'm a believer,) this is cheap. Theodore probably could have got a lot more by taking a bridge and showing he's a legit 1st pair guy. Theo gets security and the Knights get a deal. Win-win. I hate it!

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Its a good deal. Not sure what people are expecting. Its a risk sure but even if he becomes a decent top 4 dman it will be good contract.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

Rielly signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.002% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Jones signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.563% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Lindholm signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.289% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Rielly had 29 pts the year he signed his to Theodore's 29 pts.

Jones had 27 points to Theodore's 29 pts.

Lindholm had 34 pts to Theodore's 29 pts

They are not the same contracts as Theodores is for less % of the cap as well as taking more UFA years. Saying he is half the defender they are is insanely ignorant. Saying they are better is fact but the gap isn't that big. This is a really solid deal for Vegas as Theodore is playing top 2 minutes for them and has been a stud. I believe your views on the cap and how it relates to players is extremely out dated and flawed.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Theodore also signed 7 years. Rielly/Lindholm signed for 6. Presumably 7 years would have cost an extra ~250-500k/season for those two guys.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Rielly signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.002% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Rielly had 29 pts the year he signed his to Theodore's 29 pts.

Rielly also had 3 seasons of NHL experience ranging from 27 to 36 points at a younger age.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Inb4 Theodore slows down his sophomore year, everyone hates him, then he explodes for 60 points the year after that

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
aw damn no more Miller & Theodore for Nylander & Josh the immortal Leivo proposals :(

Guess they'll have to play him on the top pairing with Schmidt after roidy mcgoo comes back from suspension. :(

This was necessary with Schmidt's contract negotiations on hold (and the possibility of him leaving as a UFA) plus the promising play of Brannstrom & Hague. They really needed a Dman locked up 5+ years.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Wonder who settled. Don’t think this is all the Theodore was holding out for and I don’t think this is as high as Vegas wanted to go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->