VGK only NHL team to rule state (other sports rule in others)

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It will likely change once the Raiders are in town for real and the when the newness of the Knights fades.

Not meaning to take anything away from their success. The franchise is off to a great start but being #1 out of 1 is a low bar to clear.

Reactions: abo9 and Fairview

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It will likely change once the Raiders are in town for real and the when the newness of the Knights fades.

Not meaning to take anything away from their success. The franchise is off to a great start but being #1 out of 1 is a low bar to clear.

They can slash prices and sell out forever, that street it packed every night with people looking for a show. Ticket vendors can’t even get tickets they are set up well

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Can confirm the Panthers are the most popular team in North Carolina, although their support is kind of sporadic once you leave the greater Charlotte area, it's only been the last 5-6 years that the franchise finally started gaining more of a following in the Raleigh area. The other Southern states are accurate as well from what I can tell (SC, GA, TN, AL, LA, WV, VA)

Interesting to see the Yankees are the most popular team in Connecticut, would have thought the Patriots to be honest.

Reactions: DaveG

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Can confirm the Panthers are the most popular team in North Carolina, although their support is kind of sporadic once you leave the greater Charlotte area, it's only been the last 5-6 years that the franchise finally started gaining more of a following in the Raleigh area. The other Southern states are accurate as well from what I can tell (SC, GA, TN, AL, LA, WV, VA)

Interesting to see the Yankees are the most popular team in Connecticut, would have thought the Patriots to be honest.
I think college basketball is more popular than NFL there, no?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Because they aren't physically there yet.

It will be different when they are in town, playing football.

Most people here see them as a tenant rather than a “Vegas” team. The Knights have really been embraced here.

So many locals root for many different NFL teams. Seattle. Denver. Arizona. I think many locals will try to go to a game when their fav team is in town, not just any game. Guessing many LA and Oakland folks (some who might even buy a condo or house for their rooting needs) will be in town for Raider home games.

A much smaller number of locals were NHL fans before there was VGK. VGK was embraced as the hometown team, leading through tragedy. (And coming together as the Golden Misfits. As seen in new documentary Valiant, officially released today after premiere last month before home VGK game.)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Because they aren't physically there yet.

It will be different when they are in town, playing football.
I'm sure there will be hype but many people in town are either indifferent about them or outright pissed that room tax is being used to fund the stadium rather than to help Nevada's near bottom education performance. T-Mobile Arena was entirely funded through private investment.

And beyond that, as macabre as it is to invoke such a connection, the Mandalay Bay shooting and the way the VGK performed on the ice and engaged with the community in the aftermath has really given them a special connection to the people in this city. Merely being an NFL team will only take the Raiders so far. Sure they'll likely have a packed house through out of market Raiders fans flocking to Vegas and a very light season compared to the NHL, but I think at best they'll be on equal footing until the Raiders can start being a dominant force worth being excited about.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

A fair amount of NY's elite/rich/famous live in Connecticut. Much like parts of New Jersey, some of its a suburb for NYC.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@HanSolo like the new sideline reporter, eh? :D

I'd expect a number of opposition NFL fans to take in the newness and travel to Vegas for a game. Guessing that up to 3/4s of attendees will be non local Raider fans (LA, Oakland) and opposition fans.

Reactions: HanSolo

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Nice to see the state breakdowns but I would be keen to see how all the sports teams (pro and college) ranked in each market against each other.

Could give an idea of whether any NHL teams are ranking as no. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc., and how big the drop offs are from one position to the next.

For example, state-wide Florida has the Gators on top but is that true in Tampa, or Orlando, Miami, Jackasonville, etc.?

Also would be cool to compare year on year to see popularity trending.

Imagine there must be some US multi-sport markets that would have NHL clubs at no. 2 or 3.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think college basketball is more popular than NFL there, no?
Until Calhoun retired there's no doubt in my mind UConn would be #1 there. The program has fallen off a cliff since then though.

If you're talking NC yeah college hoops is more popular but it's pretty widely divided. UNC, NC State, to a lesser extent Wake and Duke. A metric ton of local options as well, some that have strong history of their own (App State, Davidson, UNC Wilmington, UNC Charlotte). And there's a large contingent of out of staters like myself that have our own teams, but still go by ABC (anyone but Carolina) for local rooting interest. Panthers are the local NFL team and aside from people that were Atlanta fans there's pretty minimal animosity toward the team from people that follow other teams (Pittsburgh in my case) to the point that they're probably the "second team" for almost everyone in the state that's not already a Panthers fan.

Not sure their methodology is the most accurate but only a few I can really disagree with (Chiefs over KU hoops in Kansas, OKC over OU football in Oklahoma).I

I'd probably guess that the Caps are still #1 in DC even with the Nats world series win

Last edited:
Reactions: NCRanger

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Nice to see the state breakdowns but I would be keen to see how all the sports teams (pro and college) ranked in each market against each other.

Could give an idea of whether any NHL teams are ranking as no. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc., and how big the drop offs are from one position to the next.

For example, state-wide Florida has the Gators on top but is that true in Tampa, or Orlando, Miami, Jackasonville, etc.?

Also would be cool to compare year on year to see popularity trending.

Imagine there must be some US multi-sport markets that would have NHL clubs at no. 2 or 3.
It would be nice to see the methodology and what question was asked. In PA the Steelers rule west of Harrisburg, but the east side of the state belongs to the Eagles. Philly is 5 times the size of Pittsburgh and 8 of the top ten cities in PA are in the east, so with the population advantage I'd be surprised if Steelers fans actually outnumber Eagles fans statewide. However, among Eagles fans there might be more who would say their "favorite" team is the Phillies, Sixers or Flyers (or even Yankees, Penn State, etc) .
Could the Google search number be skewed if the data was collected in the week following the on field fight between the Steelers and Browns, since lots of non-Steelers fans could have been googling them to see the fight?
(I'm a transplanted Giants fan, so I don't have a bias -just a local observer)

Reactions: DaveG and NCRanger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->