Speculation: VGK looking for a D? Granger has some ideas

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'd rather they stay put if those are the options. We already have 7 of our 8 defensemen LHD and Vatanen will cost too many assets and won't be a good re-sign, and Green...well, that would be cheap and we wouldn't be tied to a contract beyond this season so if we did one of these that might be the option I would be least opposed to trying for the team.

Also, I wonder why Granger thinks a defenseman who has played terribly this year and is getting scratched while making big money for three more seasons is going to cost a top seven forward, or why we would ever consider that if it were the price?

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am willing to predict that a couple of those guys will be traded for a 1st round pick in they are traded and i absolutely do not want the Knights to trade the 1st round pick this year.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Well guess if you have to write about something this is it. Not too clear to me the team is that much better with those guys. Easy to make the mistake of thinking doing anything is preferable to accepting the limits of improvement. I like what KM said, the team as it has to be healthy and play more consistently, that's all they can do for this year. Significantly upgrading the D is an off season project.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Don't have a lot of franchise history, much less McCrimmon as GM, but could trade for someone with 1+ years left on deal.

Never too early for other teams to look at their expansion draft exposure.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
A defenseman with two extra seasons on their contract would fit well with our cap structure but I don't want to give up more futures to make a big splash so would prefer they don't go for that expensive.

We could always get an expiring defenseman and sign them for a season or two if it is a good team fit but we could always let them walk and sign a veteran to a deal we could afford to over pay a little to get it at two seasons only, because then Glass, Hague and Elvenes would be up for RFA.

We also have Schmidt, Theodore, Hague, McNabb, Bischoff and Schuldt as LHD and Coghlan, Whitecloud and possibly Engelland for one more season as RHD. We only need one RHD who can solidify a middle pairing and I'm sure there will be a veteran looking for a good team we could sign to fill that role.

Then, there is Deliberatore, Bouchard, Korczak, Ahac, Demin, Pachal who could fight over making the jump in two seasons when we would have to see our vet RHD and McNabb go.

Or we could trade Stastny in the offseason for a similarly aged defensive help for two seasons.

Long story short, we don't need to spend big assets to get a middle pair defenseman now or commit to a long term signing this offseason.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Do you really think Engo has another year in him?

Engelland has been fine this season. He's even been impressive for a few games after he's got a bit of a rest.

I think he would be a 7D who plays 30-35 games on the third pairing depending on injuries for a league minimum contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00