Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Rob Blake has quietly done an excellent job as GM of the Kings...

He's done excellently with trades and drafting (even if that one's not all on him). It's just too bad that he's been so awful at picking coaches, which can really undermine the gains from the others.

member 300185

Leafs easily could have beaten that deal....so why didn't they?

Dog turd >>>>>> Dubas

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Not one of the credible sources or insiders believed anyone other that Kreider would fetch a 1st this year.

Blake now has acquired (3) 2nd rounders this year as well as (3) third rounders. Last year alone we got Kaliyev and Fagemo in the 2nd round.

we may also have (3) 2nd rounders in 2021 if TO qualifies for the playoffs and Campbell wins 6 or worse case (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds.

in the last 5 drafts our 2nd round picks

Kaliyev - 33
Fagemo - 50
Thomas - 51
JAD -41
Claugue - 51
Cernak - 43

3rd rounders are also of interest

Parik - 87
Shafigullin - 82
Villalta - 72
Dergachyov

taken after the 3rd

Nousiainen - 119
Dudas - 113
Hrenak - 144
Anderson - 103
Hults - 134
Wagner - 99
Roy - 194

don’t underestimate what our scouts have done with the picks they have been given.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He's done excellently with trades and drafting (even if that one's not all on him). It's just too bad that he's been so awful at picking coaches, which can really undermine the gains from the others.

I think McLellan has done about as well as one could expect with what he has to work with.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
i think that is part of why this deal underwhelms me. I was hoping LA would maximize the return by retaining on Martniez. If they were doing this it would be more than 2 2nds.
Without retention this is perfectly fair.

They're already retaining on Kyle Clifford so they have two more they can do this season so I'd hazard to guess that Rob Blake might have plans to use them in other potential deals to move someone like Trevor Lewis or Jeff Carter, for example. So that in the end the returns for retaining on those two guys might be elevated and as a whole make up for the drop in the value of the 2nd round pick from this Martinez deal.

That's just random speculation on my part, of course.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
They're already retaining on Kyle Clifford so they have two more they can do this season so I'd hazard to guess that Rob Blake might have plans to use them in other potential deals to move someone like Trevor Lewis or Jeff Carter, for example. So that in the end the returns for retaining on those two guys might be elevated and as a whole make up for the drop in the value of the 2nd round pick from this Martinez deal.

highresrollsafe.jpg

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I know the 3 player cap. I would be shocked if Lewis required retention, and I doubt Carter happens. We will see though. If retaining on Martniez could would have increased the return I would have done it. I am guessing all this was debated by Blake and Vegas,

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think McLellan has done about as well as one could expect with what he has to work with.

I don't agree. He didn't know how to use Kovalchuk. He didn't utilize Grundstrom's momentum from last season (5 goals in 15 NHL games) and set him back. He didn't utilize Frk (who has 5 points in 7 games) earlier in the season. On the other hand, he has leaned heavily on Kempe, giving him big minutes and responsibility, and the results have been underwhelming (only 25 points and, obviously, where they are in the standings). It's true that McLellan hasn't had a lot to work with, but he hasn't gotten as much out of what he's had than he might've, IMO.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't agree. He didn't know how to use Kovalchuk. He didn't utilize Grundstrom's momentum from last season (5 goals in 15 NHL games) and set him back. He didn't utilize Frk (who has 5 points in 7 games) earlier in the season. On the other hand, he has leaned heavily on Kempe, giving him big minutes and responsibility, and the results have been underwhelming (only 25 points and, obviously, where they are in the standings). It's true that McLellan hasn't had a lot to work with, but he hasn't gotten as much out of what he's had than he might've, IMO.

Well when you only measure a players value in points scored, you are gonna get that impression a lot.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well when you only measure a players value in points scored, you are gonna get that impression a lot.

Speaking of measuring players' values, how'd you do when it came to Toffoli?
Can't help you there, you keep on this late 2nd and B prospect......I'm mostly positive that it's going to be a late 1st plus.....that might be the difference, you have no idea what it takes to score in the NHL.....I do.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Hopefully now that Vatanen is the only really good defenseman available via UFA that this raises his value with the remaining teams that could use a defenseman.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Ducks getting owned as usual. Kings doing great on rebuild. And San Jose doing good in rebuild. It goes to show Anaheim is completely clueless the last 2 years of mediocrity. GRATS Kings you beat us to the punch.

Murray needs to be fired

Reactions: AzKing

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Retaining on martinez would mean retaining for the life of the contract. So over next season too.

Maybe there is a plan to act as an intermediary team this summer to retain on a player and then flip him to his intended destination. This is what vegas did in the brassard trade from the sens to pittsburgh a couple years ago.

An internal limit on the amount of contract retention/dead space could be why the kings didn't retain on marty. The kings already have a lot (not a cap issue because of the kings rebuilding) and may have thought the return on retention would be better as an intermediary over the summer.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Speaking of measuring players' values, how'd you do when it came to Toffoli?

Pretty dead on if you look at it, a late 1st plus, instead, we get a top 50 prospect and a mid 2nd........without retention. With retention, probably a late 1st plus...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->