Rumor: VGK interested in Chicago Gustafsson

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Gus has a 1.2M cap hit. Cap space is of no concern in a trade for him.

He would also be a pure rental as we would not be able to re-sign him. I wouldn't give more than a 3rd and a prospect in Schuldt who doesn't have a future on the team probably.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If the Knights are going to spend more assets on players, i would rather it be for a much better backup goalie.

But that is most likely an offseason move.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Barrie rumors were a day old and already wearing on me. What would a Gustafsson re-sign look? He had the 60 point season but that is clearly an outlier and he is very much a defenseman you have to shelter.

4M, 4 years?

If they don't re-sign him right away he could be looking at 5m+. If they give him 4m it might be a mistake.

Maybe he should just be a rental until they decide he's worth it.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If they don't re-sign him right away he could be looking at 5m+. If they give him 4m it might be a mistake.

Maybe he should just be a rental until they decide he's worth it.

You trust the same management that gave Colin Miller almost $4m per and then shipped him off for almost nothing right after?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
You trust the same management that gave Colin Miller almost $4m per and then shipped him off for almost nothing right after?
We got a 2nd + 5th for him. I'd argue we got more than he's worth. And that's with Buffalo knowing about our cap situation.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
We got a 2nd + 5th for him. I'd argue we got more than he's worth. And that's with Buffalo knowing about our cap situation.

You're right, my recall was getting the 5th, forgot about the 2nd. Still it was a crazy deal to sign.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So we would require no additional moves to make this trade? We have enough cap space and still have Glass/Roy and Whitecloud/Hague when needed?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
So we would require no additional moves to make this trade? We have enough cap space and still have Glass/Roy and Whitecloud/Hague when needed?
Well we can do this without clearing cap, but would need to clear cap when Tuch goes off LTIR. Clearing cap could mean sending down Whitecloud but I don't want that so send down or trade Merrill, or do something with Holden.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Well we can do this without clearing cap, but would need to clear cap when Tuch goes off LTIR. Clearing cap could mean sending down Whitecloud but I don't want that so send down or trade Merrill, or do something with Holden.
I wouldn't mind putting Merrill in a space capsule and sending him into orbit.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Eakin's cap isn't there anymore

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Eakin's cap isn't there anymore
It's not counted for. Right now we can't activate Tuch because we're 15k over the cap, 700k under with Quinney back in the A, and a 22-man roster(which includes Whitecloud, Merrill, & Holden). If we just got Gus we'd have a 23-man roster which includes 9D, and we'd be 500k over the cap with Quinney back in the A.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I think we can get something for Merrill, and something more for Holden and that could help offset what we trade to get Gustafsson.

McNabb-Schmidt
Holden-Theodore
Gustafsson-Martinez
Whitecloud, Engelland

No way they trust Gustafsson higher than third pair, and no way they trust Holden or Whitecloud to watch over him. And no way they stick Theodore on a third pair or trust Whitecloud to be Theodore's top 4.

I think these would be the defense.

Merrill for a 4th, Gustafsson for 2 4ths and Schuldt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad