Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Golden Knights sign Nikita Gusev to 1 year ELC

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Excited to see him in the nhl, finally! I think the skill will compensate for the weak skating, but his success will be based on if he can win puck battles.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Could be a huge boon for Vegas. He was very good in the KHL this season. I watched a number of his games. Even though he dominated the league and I expect good things from him, I will say this. The KHL's talent level has dropped significantly over the last 2 seasons and while I do think Gusev is skilled, I wonder about how that skill translates and I also wonder about how him and how Gallant will get along. I don't think this is a slam dunk, and I'm really looking to see him get into some games. This is a big moment for KHL hockey in my opinion. It'll either show the league is still legit with its top scorer translating well, or it'll take a huge hit because truthfully, even some of the top prospects over the past couple of seasons who've come over, haven't looked exceptional either.

Reactions: derriko

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
How is this guy eligible to play this season? He's a 2012 draftee of the Lightning that never signed until now. Unless, the expansion draft starts another clock?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Should receive 10% of ELC as signing bonus + performance bonus + playoff extra pay.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Understood, but it's way past 4 years which means he must be signed or has to be dropped from the reserve roster. A 2012 draftee is way beyond that at this point in time.

Am I missing something?

ETA: Yes I was, down at the bottom of that FAQ, KHL players don't expire but can be kept on the reserve roster indefinitely.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Should receive 10% of ELC as signing bonus + performance bonus + playoff extra pay.

Nearly all the performance bonuses are impossible to achieve because the regular season is over. Off the top of my head Conn Smythe might be the only one he could get.

Wonder if they’ll give him a games played bonus in lieu of some salary. That might be achievable.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Understood, but it's way past 4 years which means he must be signed or has to be dropped from the reserve roster. A 2012 draftee is way beyond that at this point in time.

Am I missing something?

Players drafted from counties/leagues without an NHL transfer agreement do not have their draft rights expire.

There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and Russian Hockey Federation/KHL so Vegas held Gusev’s draft rights indefinitely.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Nearly all the performance bonuses are impossible to achieve because the regular season is over. Off the top of my head Conn Smythe might be the only one he could get.

Wonder if they’ll give him a games played bonus in lieu of some salary. That might be achievable.

Yeah Conn Smythe is the only one.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He wanted to be on the Stanley Cup winner...... Vegas looked good last night.... I do not see him playing game 4.

He might weigh in after Vegas s next loss in the 2nd round.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
As much as it pains me to admit it as a Caps fan, McPhee has done a nice job creating a really strong top 9.

Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
Perron - Haula - Neal
Lindberg - Eakin - Tuch

to

Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
Pacioretty - Stastny - Stone
Gusev - Haula - Tuch

when healthy is a pretty impressive upgrade in roughly a years time.

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
Do you think it's possible that he is just going to play in the playoffs and then go back to the KHL after the playoffs are done?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad