Confirmed with Link: VGK gets Tatar for a lot of picks.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The hockey media thought the Knights would finish in the bottom 5 teams in the league as well.

Look at the other wingers that got traded today and including Grabner and see what they were traded for. Of all of the trades this was easily the biggest overpayment. I think he'll fit in well, but I rather have had Grabner who cost a lot less than Tatar. And there was a clear need at 3C and defense was a bigger need than adding another winger. This was an unnecessary trade. And for fans of Perron and Neal, this almost guaranteed one or both will not be back next season unless they are willing to sign a hometown sweetheart deal. GMGM is showing his true colors as a gm that fails to address his team's needs at the trade deadline.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Look at the other wingers that got traded today and including Grabner and see what they were traded for. Of all of the trades this was easily the biggest overpayment. I think he'll fit in well, but I rather have had Grabner who cost a lot less than Tatar. And there was a clear need at 3C and defense was a bigger need than adding another winger. This was an unnecessary trade. And for fans of Perron and Neal, this almost guaranteed one or both will not be back next season unless they are willing to sign a hometown sweetheart deal. GMGM is showing his true colors as a gm that fails to address his team's needs at the trade deadline.

GMGM is a guy who builds a good playoff team, but sucks at building a cup contender.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas

He has 3 years of term left on his contract. Kane was a UFA this off season. As is Stastny. As is Grabner. Hartman is a RFA but he isn't in the same class of player as those above. San Jose and Winnipeg payed for rentals. The Knights did not.

If they traded for Grabner, now they have to replace him at the end of the year.

My guess is that the number Neal wants is more than GMGM is willing to pay, whether it is term or rate. Now he as already signed Neal's replacement and gets them both for a playoff run.

He addressed the teams long term needs while improving the playoff run.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
GMGM is a guy who builds a good playoff team, but sucks at building a cup contender.

I've said this to a lot here but people give him a pass. I run a nats website and talk to other nats fans about the caps so I know how bad he is. I'm waiting for him to do a Forsberg for Erat deal here in the upcoming years. I know he is still capable of doing another trade like that again. Many vgk fans are new to hockey and don't know better or just give him a pass because he hasn't screwed the pooch yet.

He addressed none of the teams needs and could have gotten a similar player for less. In the short term this still helps the team, but he could have made trades that really would have upgraded the teams chances in the playoffs. I really don't know what he was thinking today. He probably wasted his whole day trying to get EK65 and when that didn't happen he just wanted to make any trade to show he was trying to help the team. Brassard or Stastny would have really made Vegas a contender and so would have been a top 2 dman. Instead he overpays for a 3rd line winger. I bet everyone in DC is saying "same old George".

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He has 3 years of term left on his contract. Kane was a UFA this off season. As is Stastny. As is Grabner. Hartman is a RFA but he isn't in the same class of player as those above. San Jose and Winnipeg payed for rentals. The Knights did not.

If they traded for Grabner, now they have to replace him at the end of the year.

My guess is that the number Neal wants is more than GMGM is willing to pay, whether it is term or rate. Now he as already signed Neal's replacement and gets them both for a playoff run.

But Erat!

Reactions: sabresfan65

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

Truth be told Tatar would be an awful Neal replacement... but having no one would be worse.

It’s a bit off an overpayment but I don’t think it’s as bad as it’s made out to be. Haven’t really watched Tatar so I don’t know what we’re getting but in NHL18 in be a pro he got traded to Vegas and he was awesome lol

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

The knights are better off with a lower cost rental. Glass and Suzuki could be ready next year. And Tatar is not going to put up Neal numbers. He's got the wheels but nowhere close to the sweet mitts that Neal has. The team has too many wingers as is right now. If Perron or Neal walk at the end of the season they can make a trade at that point in time. Upgrading a 3rd line winger was the last thing the knights needed. They need a 3C desperately and a top 2 dman would have been really nice.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
The hockey media thought the Knights would finish in the bottom 5 teams in the league as well.
That's why I hold off on making quick judgments about trades and such. Sure, seems like quite a lot for Tatar. But likely a very late first round draft pick and then the other picks. Who would we have gotten? Who knows? How would they have developed? Who knows? All speculative.

Also, what is going on behind the scenes with the VGKs set to become free agents? Who is GMGM expecting to be here or not to be here next season? We're not privy to that info.

I know it's fun to analyze trades, but I always think that if I'm so smart as to know a trade is a success or a bust before players ever even lace up for a team, then I should be the GM.

Or a soothsayer. :laugh:

That's why I like to say let's see how all this pans out, and if the circumstances turn tragic let GMGM have it! :nod:

I do worry a bit about team chemistry, though. SinBin addresses that in a good piece here:

May Not Agree With The Moves, But Have To Trust The Golden Knights - SinBin.vegas

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I've said this to a lot here but people give him a pass. I run a nats website and talk to other nats fans about the caps so I know how bad he is. I'm waiting for him to do a Forsberg for Erat deal here in the upcoming years. I know he is still capable of doing another trade like that again. Many vgk fans are new to hockey and don't know better or just give him a pass because he hasn't screwed the pooch yet.

He addressed none of the teams needs and could have gotten a similar player for less. In the short term this still helps the team, but he could have made trades that really would have upgraded the teams chances in the playoffs. I really don't know what he was thinking today. He probably wasted his whole day trying to get EK65 and when that didn't happen he just wanted to make any trade to show he was trying to help the team. Brassard or Stastny would have really made Vegas a contender and so would have been a top 2 dman. Instead he overpays for a 3rd line winger. I bet everyone in DC is saying "same old George".

Yep. George is still the same. Don't let McPhee fool you guys. I understand the feeling. This right now is the Honeymoon period. You guys are winning and it feels great. But down the road he does moves like these and you question it. McPhee is a good enough GM to establish you guys as an NHL Franchise and get you into some Playoff series, but when its time to build a cup contender, can him.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yep. George is still the same. Except for us it was defense he failed to address instead of offense. Don't let McPhee fool you guys. I understand the feeling. This right now is the Honeymoon period. You guys are winning and it feels great. But down the road he does moves like these and you question it. McPhee is a good enough GM to establish you guys as an NHL Franchise and get you into some Playoff series, but when its time to build a cup contender, can him.
I suppose that's a bridge we'll have to cross once we get there.

Until then, him proving everyone wrong by not completely screwing up the draft while not drafting the "best players," or drafting guys that are "too small," or not picking Mrazek, will have to suffice. This isn't the first time we've heard the "McPhee sucks" warnings around these parts, and everything's gone pretty fine for us with him thus far.

Perhaps he left most of his crap in DC and Brooklyn. I'm hoping for that.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I suppose that's a bridge we'll have to cross once we get there.

Until then, him proving everyone wrong by not completely screwing up the draft while not drafting the "best players," or drafting guys that are "too small," or not picking Mrazek, will have to suffice. This isn't the first time we've heard the "McPhee sucks" warnings around these parts, and everything's pretty fine thus far.

Perhaps he left most of his crap in DC and Brooklyn. I'm hoping for that.

Doubt it

gmgm.gif

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
VGK made a run at EK, and then added Tatar. Probably overpaid but he should do well here. Didn't give up any of our core players or prospects.

What GMGM did in the past is in the past. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

This is why I give the scouting staff the credit and not McPhee. I've watched too many years of hockey to know that he can build a good regular season team, but does nothing at the trade deadline. As evidenced today, he didn't upgrade the 3rd line center or add a top 2 dman. The knights didn't need Reaves or Tartar but he added them anyway. Other teams filled holes while GMGM failed to do address the teams two biggest needs. No matter what happens this season it will be considered to be a success so GMGM will get a pass from everyone. But years later, fans will wonder why he didn't go for it by shoring up the two biggest needs on the team.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
My first reaction to this trade is that Neal will not be resigned by Vegas and head to UFA. Meaning that my team has a (small) chance to get a true goalscorer next to McDavid.

Perron will look for money this offseason (deservedly) but I do think he will resign with Vegas for next season at a fair rate.

Dont hate on GMGM too much, be happy he isnt Chia bad.

Reactions: VanIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->