Confirmed with Link: VGK gets Tatar for a lot of picks.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I don't like this trade at all... Way too much to give up for Tatar. The forwards are already scoring enough. Upgrade the defense if anything.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
it's acceptable since the years are staggered. 3 years remaining after this one too. 20-25 goal scorer; possible replacement should Perron leave.

Wow.

Reactions: VanIslander

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
At least this makes it harder to acquire Karlsson but holy hell I don't like three futures for a guy with not that much scoring.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
At least this makes it harder to acquire Karlsson but holy hell I don't like three futures for a guy with not that much scoring.
We get a guy for Tuch to play with and we've got him for a few years.

1st round won't matter much, IMO. Hopefully even less if they make it far, which is what I'd give up for a rental. The extra two picks get me the term, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, we had 3 (perhaps 4 if you count Hague as a 1st roundish prospect) picks last draft.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

How so? Because of the 5 million cap hit? We would've given that or more to Perron or Neal anyway, wouldn't we?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Because we gave up a lot of picks and I can’t see Ottawa waiting a couple of years just to be able to use those picks

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Overpayment, but not a total fleecing. I wanted Grabner who is better and would have been cheaper.
Stastny or Brassard would also have made this team better than acquiring Tatar as Eakin is by far the weakest link on the team.

I also wouldn't have minded an upgrade at D, but I felt that management wouldn't have made a trade for D as it would be far too costly as everyone else is looking for defensemen help.

I thought Hyka did well and could have taken over winger duties opposite of Tuch on the 3rd line, but I guess GMGM wanted a sure thing in Tatar. If Suzuki and Glass are NHL ready next year there will be trades as there are already too many forwards on the team.

While I think this trade helps the team it seems unnecessary as forward depth is the deepest position group on the team imho.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Would have liked to give up just a 1st and 3rd, but I can see why they did this. We have about as easy a path to the Conference Finals as you can get. May as well roll the dice.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
NHL Network feels that Vegas overpaid for a player that has been declining when other forwards that were better went for cheaper. I do feel that part of his decline is due to detroit in general has not had the talent they used to have for decades for the past few years. I hope the scouting department did their homework as the hockey media is calling this the biggest overpayment trade of the day.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This. Ottawa likely wanted that first from this year.

If they think there's a good chance we might regress a 2019 1st might not be that much less appealing than a late 20's 2018 1st.

Regardless of that, this is a puzzling move because we haven't really had trouble scoring goals at any point this season. Couldn't we have gotten Brassard or Tanev that addressed another need if we were giving up this many picks?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's probably good friends with Nosek. Both played for the Griffins before joining the Red Wings and won 2 Calder Cups.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, that's a lot of picks!

Yeah it is. I wonder if the knights could have gotten Kane for the same amount they have up for Tartar. Well Kane might not fit in as well as Tartar will with the playstyle that Gallant employs. They probably could have gotten a really good dman or 3C for the same price which was a bigger need.

Count me out on the GMGM is a genius club. He overpaid for a player that wasn't needed. There were greater needs and they weren't filled. Stevie Y is the definition of a genius. He filled a huge need at a great price and the sharks got one of the best forwards on the market for a bargain. I see Perron or Neal not returning next year because of this deal.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
NHL Network feels that Vegas overpaid for a player that has been declining when other forwards that were better went for cheaper. I do feel that part of his decline is due to detroit in general has not had the talent they used to have for decades for the past few years. I hope the scouting department did their homework as the hockey media is calling this the biggest overpayment trade of the day.
The hockey media thought the Knights would finish in the bottom 5 teams in the league as well.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Kane was never going to come to Las Vegas.

I'm guessing they're not as worried about ego/personality as they were with the expansion draft, but I don't see them making that 180 degree turn for an Evander Kane, not at this point in the first season.

GMGM isn't a genius at all, but he, McCrimmon, and all the scouts have performed (and perhaps outperformed) as well as anyone else could have expected. I've got the benefit of never really caring all that much about any of this executive stuff prior to a few years ago, so I can evaluate GMGM on what he's done, and he's done fine by me so far. I'm not even really all that worried about Tatar overpayment.

I'll admit I'm glad the EK thing didn't happen though, that seemed like a way to decimate a franchise if he's not actually EK anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad