Confirmed with Link: [VGK/DAL] - Marc Methot for 2020 2nd and Dylan Ferguson

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
We need to see how Methot is on the drop pass....oh wait, that was a Ruff thing.

From memory, what % of the time did Zubov carry the puck up the ice over Sydor? Seems like there might be some value to keep them guessing with two capable puck carriers, but I bet it was 85/15% in favor of Zubie, with Syd carrying just enough to keep them guessing.

At some future point, Heiskanen/Klingberg will have dual puck carrying ability which should work out great. Probably Lindell/Honka as second pair will be good, too.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I seem to remember Lindell and Johns being a pretty solid pair for Texas in 2015-16. I honestly might be pretty fun to see Bayreuther and Heiskanen play with Klingberg and Honka. Mix and match the LD and RD as you like based on performance, but that would be a pretty damn fun Top 4. You could have a more defensively stout pair of Lindell and Johns with two pairs that are just going to hold onto the puck the majority of the time and drive possession.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I think Bayreuther and Honka played together a bit in Texas for the few games they were both there. May have just been on the power play though.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to congratulate you guys on the trade. I think it is a good fit and a good spot for Methot. I like that he found a team that isn't rebuilding and a role where he will likely show his strengths.

In fact, I suggested Dallas as a good spot for him before expansion. I just figured that Dallas would never offer anything to make it worthwhile for the Sens. Turns out I was right!

Scouting Report: (For those that don't watch the east often)

1. He's a good skater both directions, but he stands out skating backwards and turning his himself with the play. Really smooth transitions back and forth. He only really lacks speed or "jump", but rarely gets burned by it because he doesn't let the play get behind him.

2. He rarely steps-up into the offensive zone. When he has the puck at the line, he'll be thinking pass and won't shoot it. Extremely conservative in that regard. He's smart though, and he'll step up on transitions, etc.. when there is a forward switching onto the ice or he has some backup.

3. No breakout skills, which is why he has no points, but he's extremely efficient with the puck. He doesn't even look for a pass to a forward a lot of times, he simply looks to draw a fore-checker and then turn it over to Karlsson/whoever to make a play. Not greedy in that regard. This is why Kingberg will be a good partner. If he got pressured too much or Karlsson was tied up, he would usually do something conservative like flip it forward and take a change or tie it up along the boards rather than risk a bad turnover in the defensive zone. He doesn't have any puck skills like a forward, but he does have defensive puck skills where he can chip, flip, bounce, and fire the puck around the boards as well as anyone.

4. He's got good size/strength and he's a good defender 1 vs 1. He's got some fire to his game too and he'll defend teammates in scrums.

5. He does have an injury history, but I wouldn't be worried. He'll miss games when his back goes wonky but it doesn't seem to have a negative long-term impact when he gets back. It sucks when he's gone, but when he comes back it never seems to linger and he doesn't seem to be slowing down with age. If he was still a Sen at 34, there was room on the team, and his contract demands were reasonable, I would have had no problem extending him if that makes sense? Basically, injuries age seem like a non-issue at this point.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll like him as much as the Sens did! Also, keep in mind, if Hitchcock puts him with another defensive guy instead of Klingberg, Methot will manage just fine. Ottawa did the same thing sometimes when Karlsson was out and he does fine.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Thanks for the info.

Around here, I am sure we will be trashing him by game six or so, no matter how well he plays. Its what we do! And, we have been longing for a true Keith type, that is what we measure him by, nothing we could reasonably expect.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to congratulate you guys on the trade. I think it is a good fit and a good spot for Methot. I like that he found a team that isn't rebuilding and a role where he will likely show his strengths.

In fact, I suggested Dallas as a good spot for him before expansion. I just figured that Dallas would never offer anything to make it worthwhile for the Sens. Turns out I was right!

Scouting Report: (For those that don't watch the east often)

1. He's a good skater both directions, but he stands out skating backwards and turning his himself with the play. Really smooth transitions back and forth. He only really lacks speed or "jump", but rarely gets burned by it because he doesn't let the play get behind him.

2. He rarely steps-up into the offensive zone. When he has the puck at the line, he'll be thinking pass and won't shoot it. Extremely conservative in that regard. He's smart though, and he'll step up on transitions, etc.. when there is a forward switching onto the ice or he has some backup.

3. No breakout skills, which is why he has no points, but he's extremely efficient with the puck. He doesn't even look for a pass to a forward a lot of times, he simply looks to draw a fore-checker and then turn it over to Karlsson/whoever to make a play. Not greedy in that regard. This is why Kingberg will be a good partner. If he got pressured too much or Karlsson was tied up, he would usually do something conservative like flip it forward and take a change or tie it up along the boards rather than risk a bad turnover in the defensive zone. He doesn't have any puck skills like a forward, but he does have defensive puck skills where he can chip, flip, bounce, and fire the puck around the boards as well as anyone.

4. He's got good size/strength and he's a good defender 1 vs 1. He's got some fire to his game too and he'll defend teammates in scrums.

5. He does have an injury history, but I wouldn't be worried. He'll miss games when his back goes wonky but it doesn't seem to have a negative long-term impact when he gets back. It sucks when he's gone, but when he comes back it never seems to linger and he doesn't seem to be slowing down with age. If he was still a Sen at 34, there was room on the team, and his contract demands were reasonable, I would have had no problem extending him if that makes sense? Basically, injuries age seem like a non-issue at this point.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll like him as much as the Sens did! Also, keep in mind, if Hitchcock puts him with another defensive guy instead of Klingberg, Methot will manage just fine. Ottawa did the same thing sometimes when Karlsson was out and he does fine.

That is some nice inside.

Haven't followed individual Stars players but the team has been known of their all in offense. Methot +/- stats throughout his career are brutal good. If you have such high consistency in your stats, you HAVE to be doing something very good in the D.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I think Bayreuther and Honka played together a bit in Texas for the few games they were both there. May have just been on the power play though.

They played together for a brief, but quality strength where they were the defacto #1 pair. Needless to say, it looked like they never botched a zone exit. I don't know if it's a pair going into the future, but they're obviously good offensively, and both are underrated positionally in the defensive zone.

possesthepuck

Nov 23, 2013
Kenora Ontario
great trade, great deal. Trust me, Methot is a bonafide #2 defenseman. You all will be very impressed. He will be your best shut down defense by a long shot. Watched him for the last 4 years or so.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Methots puck skills are being seriously underrated here. He can skate the puck up the ice or make a good outlet pass as well as any first pairing D in the league. Main thing with him, is that he focused more on the defensive side of the game while paired with Erik. When he has the chance, he virtually always makes a good decision with the puck. Very smart player, and can adapt well to his partner (allowing the partner to play to his strengths).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Methot is awesome. You guys are lucky and got him for next to nothing. Good luck. If he plays with klingberg shouldn't need any luck. Nice fit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad