Confirmed with Link: [VGK/DAL] - Marc Methot for 2020 2nd and Dylan Ferguson

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Wild fan here...

You guys should have party of the century right about now. That Methot deal was a brutal steal and exactly what the Stars needed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think this is a great deal for Dallas, should be a different looking team next year.

Methot also provides a great bridge for Heiskanen.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This seems to be geo-blocked, but I'd love to know what LeBrun said. The title suggests that GM GM cut off his nose to spite his face, "Stars get Methot for mush less than Sens would've had to pay."

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting story from Cullen. He points out that less than 10% of 7th rounders make it to the NHL, and only 1 in 3 second rounders become NHLers.

Verdict: Methot is not a saviour for the Stars, but he can help a team that needs major help on defence, and the price is entirely reasonable, at least from Dallas’ perspective. Vegas made a good move by taking excess NHL-calibre defencemen in the expansion draft, but they don’t appear to be making the most of their opportunities to extract value for those assets.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn't call it venom, but you can tell Methot was not pleased with how Vegas handled this situation. He pointed out he wasn't pleased to be selected knowing full well they had not desire to keep him, only seeing him as a tool to acquire more assets.

He's saying the right things about Dallas, and doesn't hold any ill feelings for Ottawa for the Stars. That said, he's a pro, so it's not like he's going to say on record anything negative about his new team. Still it's nice to see that he feels like this is good fit.

I really appreciate his honesty about his disdain for the expansion process. One thing I think most of us forgot, at least I don't recall this being mentioned, buy Methot played for Hitchcock with the Blue Jackets.

“If I’m to go anywhere that would have been one my prime destinations. Not that I had a choice but it worked out well. They have a great team there. They’ve got (Ben Bishop) in net now and they’ve got a good a (defensive) core, some great forwards an some veterans. It’s a great situation for me personall.â€Â

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I enjoyed that article too. Was nice to see some honesty.

I'm curious as to how much previous relationships played into GMGM's picks. Some seem like he did a favor for the team, and others it seems like he just wanted to spite them. Examples of both are pretty obvious.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah a good read. I can imagine the stress for his soon to be wife. Not sure where you are moving to, and just wanting to get a home set up for your kid on the way

Im pumped for adding him to our team. Would be even better if Johns & Lindell can learn lots from him

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
This seems to be geo-blocked, but I'd love to know what LeBrun said. The title suggests that GM GM cut off his nose to spite his face, "Stars get Methot for mush less than Sens would've had to pay."

I would also like to know. There was some talk about McPhee being stubborn and smug and not letting Washington wiggle out of Schmidt because he was mad about getting fired. It wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa didn't pay the ransom so to show he was a credible GM he felt he had to stick to that price point for them after expansion.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa didn't pay the ransom so to show he was a credible GM he felt he had to stick to that price point for them after expansion.

This seems like the most reasonable of all the unreasonable reasons to willfully take a smaller return. If that is accurate though, GM GM's ego just shot himself in the foot.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Maybe GMGM really wanted Eakin and there were "future considerations" made for leaving him unprotected. Who knows what his deal is, but thrilled it worked out for Dallas.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX

He says...

It's believed the asking price from Ottawa to protect Methot in the ED was a 1st round pick in 2018...

Dallas paid less than what McPhee originally asked from Dallas...

Believed Dallas would have targeted Alzner has this trade not come through.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
He says...

It's believed the asking price from Ottawa to protect Methot in the ED was a 1st round pick in 2018...

Dallas paid less than what McPhee originally asked from Dallas...

Believed Dallas would have targeted Alzner has this trade not come through.

All of these are wins in my book

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If you think the nucleus of our D is Hammuis and Methot then I'm led to believe you're basing a roster quality on number of names you recognize. Wait until you meet Honka and Klingberg.
Lmao easy, I mentioned Klingberg.
Stars will be a legit cup contender, provided the team isn't depleted with injuries. They just need to add a couple wingers, hopefully Justin Williams is one of those. Adding players who are strong playoff players should be the goal.
So that's the target for free agency or can we expect more trades?
Ritchie and Shore in their 1st seasons get 16 and 13 goals. Janmark got 15 goals as a rookie and if he is healthy he's solid. Faksa is a beast, 12 goals in his first full season. 2 UFA RWs with our cap space plus Roussel and that's 10 good forwards.

Assuming we don't go 30th on PK and don't lose 90% of games that go past 60 minutes again we have the pieces to be fine. It's early yet, but where's the team in our division that improved?

I should have known Ritchie, used to watch him from afar since Ryan Strome and him were linemates in the O.

Thanks for the input, other then when Benn stole the Art from JT in the last game of the year a few years ago I like to root for the Stars.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Marc Methot just was on NHL Tonight. When asked about how his finger is doing, he said, "It looks like a finger."

:laugh:

You know it was an ugly injury when that report is good news.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
NHL Network put up a graphic saying Methot will save $700K in taxes by moving from Ottawa to Dallas.

That seems too high. I think that figure has to be off. Does Ottawa really pay 14% to 15% more in taxes?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was just reminded that one year ago, Roman Polak was traded for two 2nd round picks for a handful of months at the TDL.

Dallas got Methot for 2 years for a 2nd ... :help:

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Goligoski - Klingberg
Russell - Demers
Oduya - Johns
Benn

That was actually pretty solid at the time :laugh:

Until the St. Louis series. I wrote a recap of their performance in that series, and they were frikkin hammered.

Amb. of Fun raises a good point about the Methot trade. Nill was high on Eakin despite his crap season. I wouldn't be surprised of it was some unspoken favor for Vegas taking Eakin. Outlandish, but it makes more sense than what McPhee gave up. Not that McPhee is incapable of making bad trades, but still.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Until the St. Louis series. I wrote a recap of their performance in that series, and they were frikkin hammered.

Amb. of Fun raises a good point about the Methot trade. Nill was high on Eakin despite his crap season. I wouldn't be surprised of it was some unspoken favor for Vegas taking Eakin. Outlandish, but it makes more sense than what McPhee gave up. Not that McPhee is incapable of making bad trades, but still.

So do we assume that McPhee was so over the moon that Emilin was there he sent Bergevin Schlemko for almost nothing? It doesn't add up and there is scuttlebutt that they went back to Ottawa between the entry draft and the trade.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Goligoski - Klingberg
Russell - Demers
Oduya - Johns
Benn

That was actually pretty solid at the time :laugh:
Goligoski was a whipping boy, but he played a large part in the success of the Stars that season. He wasn't a rock defensively, and his offense was overshadowed by Klingberg, Benn, Spez, and Seguin but he played a huge role in pushing the puck up the ice and making the initial move in the offensive zone.

While it makes logical sense to pair a defensive guy (Methot) with an offensive threat like Klingberg, sometimes it doesn't always work out. Think back to the days when we had Zubov w/ Sydor and Hatch with Matvichuk. They weren't paired the way you would expect. JK seemed to be at his best with Goose there to drive some of the transition, so i'm a little curious to see how this all pans out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->