Confirmed with Link: VGK claim Ryan Carpenter from Sharks

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Whooohooo I like Carpenter

Really good on the boards, plays fast and heavy. Doesn't have good hands but he's creative. Excited to see how he'll play here because I think the Sharks system and personnel hold him back.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I've been Googling the NHL waiver protocol, and it's slightly convoluted (to me, anyway). I'm curious as to which teams passed on Subban and Carpenter before we claimed them.

After November 1, teams on the waiver priority list are in order of points earned percentage (lowest first), then once a player is claimed off waivers the claiming team drops to the bottom of the list?

If that's accurate, it seems like quite a few teams passed on both Subban and especially Carpenter before we claimed them.

Now, I haven't been keeping tabs on other players that have been waived and claimed by other teams so maybe we've moved back up the list quite a bit for Carpenter.

Just curious, especially regards Subban, on which teams passed.

Last edited:

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I don't think many teams passed on Subban, if I recall we probably would have been 3rdish on the waiver wire, based on our "placing" last season as seen through the draft. I could be wrong but thats my understanding.

Hopefully though Carpenter is a nice steal from the Waivers and helps us forever more.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've been Googling the NHL waiver protocol, and it's slightly convoluted (to me, anyway). I'm curious as to which teams passed on Subban and Carpenter before we claimed them.

After November 1, teams on the waiver priority list are in order of points earned percentage (lowest first), then once a player is claimed off waivers the claiming team drops to the bottom of the list?

If that's accurate, it seems like quite a few teams passed on both Subban and especially Carpenter before we claimed them.

Now, I haven't been keeping tabs on other players that have been waived and claimed by other teams so maybe we've moved back up the list quite a bit for Carpenter.

Just curious, especially regards Subban, on which teams passed.

If you remember what day Subban was waived, you can go back and check him too. IIRC it was prior to November 1, so I believe VGK were third last in the waiver order (same as the draft lottery position).

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Free asset I guess, but never seems to be more than a 4th liner. He's been the future 3C of the Sharks for a long time, but they finally gave up on him. Note how GMGM hoards every asset like its his life savings while other GMs say guy has reached his ceiling and is worth little and they move on.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Free asset I guess, but never seems to be more than a 4th liner. He's been the future 3C of the Sharks for a long time, but they finally gave up on him. Note how GMGM hoards every asset like its his life savings while other GMs say guy has reached his ceiling and is worth little and they move on.

At no point did the Sharks see him as anything more than a 4th liner.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
At no point did the Sharks see him as anything more than a 4th liner.

Absolutely this. Folks need to keep in mind he is 26, so he has probably developed into the player he is going to be.

He plays a responsible defensive game and has shown some good passing vision/creativity - and by most accounts a really quality individual - but he likely won't ever be more than a 4th liner.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Not entirely surprised they claimed a scrub over bringing up Pulkinnen. It’s for a 10-12 minute a night 4th line spot. Pulkinnen wouldn’t do well there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->