Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CBJ] David Clarkson, '17 1st (#24) & '19 2nd to select William Karlsson

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
...2007 called; they want their misapprehensions about the Jackets back.

Seriously. The "not a cap team" thing went away when Doug MacLean was fired. It took a little longer for Howson to start to actually take advantage of that (mostly because of the utter pile of **** he was left), but he was never handcuffed for money.

No. He was only handicapped in talent evalutation ability:laugh: Filatov (6OA bust) Murray (2OA bust).

What's Scotty doing now? Went from GM to #5 in Edmonton and was shown the door there. That was two years ago. A richly earned career trajectory. :laugh:

Last edited:

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Karlsson is pretty meh. Looks to be one of the youngest Golden Knights, depending on how trades shake out.

He was used a "defensive" center (55% Dzone starts) but he's horrible at shot suppression and is not a good faceoff guy. I think his ceiling is maybe 30 points offensively.

Not that anyone could’ve predicted William Karlsson tearing up the league, but a lot of posts in this thread are hilarious. Vegas got a 1st, 2nd and a shitty contract to pick their best player.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It's one thing to flourish under a different system but man, he is going to score 40 goals.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
CBJ was going to lose a good player regardless of what they did.

Their focus was to not lose a key part of the team's core. Based on his play to that point and projected upside, Karlsson wasn't part of that core.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Karlsson is going to be really good. Already a strong 3rd liner and now that he's not playing for Torts who used him primarily in a defensive role he might start to tap into some of his offensive potential.
Not bad... I'm playing Powerball later, you got any reccomendations for numbers?

Reactions: PensandCaps

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Karlsson is pretty meh. Looks to be one of the youngest Golden Knights, depending on how trades shake out.

He was used a "defensive" center (55% Dzone starts) but he's horrible at shot suppression and is not a good faceoff guy. I think his ceiling is maybe 30 points offensively.
Tough one. Get back on the horse brother, we've all fallen off.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It seems as though talks between the two GMs started with CBJ saying "we need to protect our young players, and we'll give you a draft pick for selecting ______. Maybe Karlsson wasn't even that person, but the suggestion of taking Clarkson's contract amped things up.

This seems like a hindsight conversation, but 50% of the fans didn't like this trade.

I know that CBJ absolutely cannot afford Clarkson, but I can say (with certainty) that they deserve credit for setting up Vegas to flourish.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Not that anyone could’ve predicted William Karlsson tearing up the league, but a lot of posts in this thread are hilarious. Vegas got a 1st, 2nd and a ****ty contract to pick their best player.

At the position the team they were picking from was weakest...

I remember how everyone thought Vegas really dropped the ball with the expansion draft. I was one of those people. And that's why we aren't GM's.

Reactions: Giskard

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
At the position the team they were picking from was weakest...

I remember how everyone thought Vegas really dropped the ball with the expansion draft. I was one of those people. And that's why we aren't GM's.

I can't imagine McPhee expected to be a top-5 team or get a 40 goal season out of Karlsson. Gallant was a godsend for that team.

It's like if someone traded a solid top-6 forward for a 7th, got laughed at, and ended up picking the next Gretzky with that 7th by chance.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
If you look at his day of the week splits he is more than a point per game player on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Thought it was quite interesting to see. Great player.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Didn't understand this for CBJ at the time as I liked Karlsson as much as Josh Anderson who was one of the big priority guys to keep. Obviously if anyone tells you they were expecting 39 goals and counting they're kidding themselves but this was probably the deal I liked the best for Vegas at the time and that includes the stupid trade Florida did.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think anyone expecting Karlsson to be more than a 3C was being a bit disingenuous. He was in Columbus for years and never showed anything close to this type of offensive flair.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
After the playoffs last year I was really upset to lose Karlsson, as he did show some flashes, but it was a loss every CBJ fan was prepared for and expected. Now, when I say flashes, I mean flashes of maybe being a 15 goal, 20 assist, and great defensively kind of player. It sucked the Jackets had to lose a player of that caliber when other teams didn't, but nobody could have predicted this, and I shake my head any time someone says "They should have protected him instead of Wennberg/anyone else!!!1!1".

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I was one of the people advocating keeping Karlsson over Anderson. But that was due to positionality. Also, if Vegas had taken Josh Anderson, I can't imagine how well he'd be doing but I think it'd be a similar outburst.

The Jackets had a lot of really valuable young pieces they needed to protect.

Also yeah, suggesting the Jackets protect Karlsson over Wennberg is pretty crazy.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Is Karlsson putting up 40 goals if he’s still in Columbus? I kind of doubt it. It’s a case of opportunity, the right system and the right coach. I don’t think that should be held against Columbus’ management.

Reactions: domaug

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Imagine Columbus with Karlsson-Dubois-Wenneberg down the middle. They'd be up there with Tampa as far as cup threats this year

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Is Karlsson putting up 40 goals if he’s still in Columbus? I kind of doubt it. It’s a case of opportunity, the right system and the right coach. I don’t think that should be held against Columbus’ management.
Point of order: This is HFboards. People here are still griping about the 2003 draft. Your type of logic should be left at the door when you enter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad