Confirmed with Link: [VGK/CAR] Erik Haula for Nicolas Roy + Conditional 5th Round Pick

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Trading Staal “ now “ wasn’t the discussion though. I mistook it myself last night in my discussion with bleed). Most of us 100 % agree that they are not trading him now, and nobody said that.

Yet you calling people silly and saying isn’t there anything better to talk about is just asking for it.

Regardless, your “I know more about hockey than you because I’m from Canada “ isn’t going over well and frankly, makes you look bad.

Out of all the boards on this forum you would think y’all would be able to take a joke for cheese and crackers.

Regardless of if its now, in a year or in three years... Staal has a NMC. He’s not getting traded unless something sours like month old milk. Hypothesize about it all you want but it’s a waste of time at this point. In a year? Maybe but highly doubt it. Two years? Three years? Maybe. Lots can change by then. Maybe Staal takes the captaincy and turns it up to become a 30-30 type player.

I’m not saying never. Eric got traded. Skinner got traded but it was a vastly different regime and the team was in a vastly different situation. It takes two to tango and if the Canes are competitive and winning in a couple years and Staal is still the same old Staal while being captain, he ain’t getting asked to leave.

I get it. It’s a ‘what if’ on a ‘maybe it could happen’ scenario but let’s also look at some of the actual facts and be somewhat realistic about it.

I agree if we can trade Staal to effectively make space for Nylander or someone like that and take advantage of the leafs or another cap strapped team in all for it but there would be a ton of moving parts and dominos that would need to fall the right way to facilitate that and I just don’t think it makes sense to re jig the team to put ourselves in the position for something like that to potentially happen.

The Marleau for a 1st trade was great and I’d do it 100/100 but it was also great because it fell into our lap and the timing was right. You can’t forecast that a year or two in advance hoping that another situation like that will present itself. If it comes up and you’re in the position to do something about it then great. Go do it, but in the meantime just try to put the best roster together you can.

Our cap situation is fine going forward. We can re-sign Haula, Svechnikov, and Dougie without making major moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAcaniac

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Out of all the boards on this forum you would think y’all would be able to take a joke for cheese and .
I’m confused on what the joke is? Are you saying that your comment about being from Toronto and that somehow justifies your comments is a joke?

If so, you should recognize that on this forum, it’s a joke that won’t go over very well.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’m confused on what the joke is? Are you saying that your comment about being from Toronto and that somehow justifies your comments is a joke?

If so, you should recognize that on this forum, it’s a joke that won’t go over very well.

I can’t even understand your first sentence but lighten up Francis.

Don’t pretend like we don’t give as good as we get on Canes stuff. I’m not around all the time but I’ve been here since the beginning.

Trade the captain in 2021 for Jeremy Bracco and Zachary Hyman is you want. Didn’t know you were part of Dundon’s front office think tank. Sorry for having an opinion

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I can’t even understand your first sentence but lighten up Francis.

Don’t pretend like we don’t give as good as we get on Canes stuff. I’m not around all the time but I’ve been here since the beginning.

Trade the captain in 2021 for Jeremy Bracco and Zachary Hyman is you want. Didn’t know you were part of Dundon’s front office think tank. Sorry for having an opinion
Lol. Nice try. You came with your “I’m from Toronto “ high horse and are now playing it off as a joke. It’s fine to have a different opinion. You being A Canadian from Toronto doesn’t give your opinion any more weight and it was dumb for you to post that. If you can’t see that, well, too bad.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Lol. Nice try. You came with your “I’m from Toronto “ high horse and are now playing it off as a joke. It’s fine to have a different opinion. You being A Canadian from Toronto doesn’t give your opinion any more weight and it was dumb for you to post that. If you can’t see that, well, too bad.

Jesus f*** it was a joke man.

Also like how you completely disregard everything else in my ‘essay of logic’ but just want to hang your hat on that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Jesus **** it was a joke man.

Ok, if you say so. but don’t you agree that in this market, it’s a joke that would go over like a lead balloon? Context is key. Get over it.

Also like how you completely disregard everything else in my ‘essay of logic’ but just want to hang your hat on that.

That is because I thought it was nonsense, you made up stuff I didn’t say and you continue to refuse to acknowledge the point many are making.

1. Nobody thinks we should trade Staal and make the team worse. Heck, I’m on record saying we should not trade him short term.

2. If the borg thinks Jordan is the best value for $6m, they’ll keep him. If not, they will try to move him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ok, if you say so. but don’t you agree that in this market, it’s a joke that would go over like a lead balloon? Context is key. Get over it.

That is because I thought it was nonsense, you made up stuff I didn’t say and you continue to refuse to acknowledge the point many are making.

1. Nobody thinks we should trade Staal and make the team worse. Heck, I’m on record saying we should not trade him short term.

2. If the borg thinks Jordan is the best value for $6m, they’ll keep him. If not, they will try to move him.

1. It’s not my job for you to like a joke or not, regardless of context. It’s a joke, you can either take it or leave it. You obviously have a problem with it. That’s fine. I don’t care. Most of my jokes piss people off. I’m ok with that.

2. Literally all this bickering is about ‘should the Canes trade Staal?’. Maybe that’s in the off-season. Maybe in two years. Maybe all just EA sports hypothetical. Whatever, I’m just trying to be a realist here.

3. Yes. Agreed. I’ve said it many times that the borg knows what it’s doing. If the situation comes up where it makes sense to trying to move Jordan Staal then I’m sure they will look into it. That time is clearly not now and not likely to be anytime soon since he was just named captain and is playing well. Maybe in a year. Two years. Three years. No one knows. Maybe Jeff Hamilton will come out of retirement and replace Dougie as the trigger man on our pp. I prefer not to speculate on ‘anything’ that could possibly happen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
1. It’s not my job for you to like a joke or not, context or not. It’s a joke, you can either take it or leave it. You obviously have a problem with it. That’s fine. I don’t care. Most of my jokes piss people off. I’m ok with that.

I understand now. I thought “jokes” were intended to be funny, but didn’t realize that you were just aiming to piss people off. Carry on then.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
How did the Haula trade discussion thread turn into a *****-fest about whether or not we should trade the guy who was named Captain about 10 days ago
It didn’t. Someone read one post and thought people were trying to trade Staal and just went off on their personal agenda’s. No one wants to trade Staal. This whole mess started with a conversation about how to keep Haula. About whether or not we would pay Haula six million when we’re paying Staal the same. That’s it. Multiple people come in late saying “you guys are idiots, we’re not trading Staal - we just made him captain!”

No shit Sherlock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad