Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Alex Tuch signs extension with Vegas (7 years, $4.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tuch has all the tools to be a star player. What he hasn't put together is the execution. He reminds me of a great deal of Rakell in that sense. It was immediately apparent with Rakell that he was talented enough to be a 50-60 point player but he lacked execution.

With Tuch, I thought in the preseason he had added elements of great playmaking to his game. Unfortunately he's been injured of late so it's tough to gage how much he has progressed over the summer.

In any event, I do think he can put together the execution and this seems like good value.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
He's only had one NHL season, so I don't think it's out of the realm to think it's possible that this contract becomes a bad one.

Actually less than a full season. You're right about that, and perhaps my VGK colored glasses impair my judgement but if the cap continues to rise at a similar rate this deal won't be a huge albatross later in the deal even if he doesn't live up to expectations. Even in the short-term, the team has some cap space to play with even when you consider that William Karlsson and Nate Schmidt will need to be re-signed this off-season. Just happy that they got this one out of the way.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I remember when these long term deals were exclusively for star players

Teams need to gain a competitive advantage wherever they can. Look at all the Stanley Cup winners since 2012-13, without even doing the work in my head to double check this I can guarantee you that most probably had stars signed to pre 2012 backdiving deals.

Teams can't do that anymore, so to truly be successful they need to take risks and lock down any key players, even secondary guys as long as possible so that their cap hits deflate as the cap goes up.

Especially a team like Vegas, or like TOR when they locked up Rielly. They have excess cap in the short term. Might as well overpay guys now for a discount down the road when the cap will be tighter.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is the Tom Wilson contract effect. Players who are potential PF's are harder to get than ever and you will now have to pay a huge premium to retain one. Vegas got 3 UFA years.

Well Tuch is faster than most PF's so he has that going for him as well. Like I said in my above post. He plays the game like a seasoned pro, he just hasn't quite put together the execution just yet. Not every rookie is gonna light the league on fire but that doesn't doom them to a life of being average.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I mean, it's one of those contracts where if it works out you're a genius, if it doesn't...

(somewhat) low AAV for Theodore & Tuch means more money to keep Schmidt, re-sign Glass, Brannstrom, Hague...

They needed a few younger guys tied up long term. This might mean that Karlsson doesn't get 7 or 8 years though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I mean, it's one of those contracts where if it works out you're a genius, if it doesn't...

Buyout cap hit is under 800k if they buy him out young enough. We saw that with Despres on Anaheim and previously Cowen and Hodgson. It's why these long contracts to young players aren't all that risky.

Reactions: MordredGK

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd much rather pay for what a player will do than what he has done in the past, but even I have to say there's a fair bit of risk associated with this deal considering his small NHL resume and that this is a $33M contract.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
They seem to love him over there.

I've always been a big fan of Tuch's game, but for Vegas, I would've done a bridge deal in this case. Give him a 2-3 year deal, and see if he outplays that deal. But what's done is done.

I still think Tuch is gonna do well, but it's certainly a risk locking him up for that long.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Sweet payday for Tuch, but really don't mind it from Vegas' standpoint either. should be easily worth that even if they're paying him based on a small sample size.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Teams need to gain a competitive advantage wherever they can. Look at all the Stanley Cup winners since 2012-13, without even doing the work in my head to double check this I can guarantee you that most probably had stars signed to pre 2012 backdiving deals.

You can probably go farther back then that... most winners from 2008 and on probably had at least 1 cap circumvented/back diving contract (did Washington have one or were they the first in a long time not to?). We're (hopefully) past that, now it'll take smart GM's to identify who to sign long term before they break out (and probably get a little lucky in the process) to start winning. That and smart drafting/signings, to fill out the bottom lines with cheap talent and not rely on expensive UFA contracts.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That's a steal of a deal, holy shipwreck!!!

McPhee must be using the taxes trick from Yzerman's book. Because AAV without taxes he earns at the very least 3,182,500 a year.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Like the deal. He’s worth it right now and has big potential to do even better. Only 22 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad