News Article: Veteran Andrew MacDonald making the most of demotion to the Phantoms

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Interesting quote:

"Quite frankly, we'd like to get him back up," said general manager Ron Hextall, who was in attendance Sunday. "It's a situation right now that's partly out of our hands and his hands.

"It's certainly not the way you script it. You don't want to have a guy making a ton of money here. That's not the way you plan things. Obviously, sometimes you have to adjust.

"This is not something that I want to do every year."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...tion_to_the_Phantoms.html#MMm30bez4rRqXOPp.99

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice job Paul.....

You wonder if players themselves should start questioning whether they should be overpaid and sign lucrative contracts that dumbass GM's dole out when they could in theory face situations like this on cap strapped teams. Obviously something that would never happen but if I were a player agent I would look at how a team manages their cap...honestly assess the player I'm representing and say..maybe this is not in your best interest to sign here. Then again how do you get your player to tell the brinks truck to drive away...cough cough Bryz.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'd rather be making 5 milly in the AHL than 2.5 milly in the NHL
AMAC has handled this whole thing with total class

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Yeah as much as i dislike AMac, I do really hope we can make some room soon so he can be in the NHL. I think we could use him right now over Manning\Scheen

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
i hate amac as much as the next man with common sense but manning is keeping me up at night

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Trade Schenn, demote Manning, bring up the MacDonald-Ghost pairing.

This .
I honestly believe he could trade Luke right now, he just wont trade him till he gets the return he wants.

Ridding the team of Manning and playing Amac makes the FLyers better and moving Luke is probably the only way to make this work.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Trade Schenn, demote Manning, bring up the MacDonald-Ghost pairing.

That would be lovely.

My prediction of a Schenn trade and AMac being recalled sometime in October seems to be a wrong one.

I wonder, with a few AHL D guys hurt, would that delay any trade Hextall possibly has in place?

I am glad Hextall seems to be holding out for a deal he likes for LSchenn.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
We will be lucky to get a third for Schenn but Hextall should be able to get that if he times it properly but honestly Schenn is a third pairing D ...not a huge selling point apart from his expiring contract which should help in offloading him.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Schenn definitely has some value. He's still young, especially for a defenseman. Look where Chara was at 25.
I don't expect him to become the next Adam Foote like he was projected to, but I don't agree with people saying there's no upside left at all.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The sooner I never need to watch Luke Schenn or Brandon Manning the better. It takes a very serious level of suckage to make MacDonald seem like a savior. Even better would be getting Ghost up but who knows when that'll happen.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Schenn definitely has some value. He's still young, especially for a defenseman. Look where Chara was at 25.
I don't expect him to become the next Adam Foote like he was projected to, but I don't agree with people saying there's no upside left at all.

I still don't see this upside that some people continue to profess. He is what he is at this point. His career and skillset has flat-lined. I really only seeing him somewhat establishing himself again as a decent regular on an expansion team. That will be the best option for him and his career IMO....

Again not useless...just kind of a dime a dozen and his skillset is limited. When a player has to be effective by simplifying his game...it suggests to me that his so called "upside" is limited in the first place b/c he can't afford to take any risk without getting his weaknesses exposed. With Gudas around...Luke is just duplication anyway and more expensive duplication.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
People have to see Schenn for what he is, not for what he was projected to be when the post-draft Maple Leafs hype came along.

He's a solid d-man, overpaid sure, with a surprisingly good pass which he never gets credit for.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem for L Schenn is the game has changed and his skill set has less value, but his salary is based on being a top 4 defenseman, so I suspect Hextall has found few takers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nice job Paul.....

You wonder if players themselves should start questioning whether they should be overpaid and sign lucrative contracts that dumbass GM's dole out when they could in theory face situations like this on cap strapped teams. Obviously something that would never happen but if I were a player agent I would look at how a team manages their cap...honestly assess the player I'm representing and say..maybe this is not in your best interest to sign here. Then again how do you get your player to tell the brinks truck to drive away...cough cough Bryz.

You have Curtis Glencross who did that & is now regretting it. He signed a team friendly deal on his first chance to cash out & outplayed the majority of the contract. He's currently without a job in the NHL at 32.

He's not going broke or anything but he's kicking himself for not maximizing the money he could have potentially earned.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Manning makes me drink more than usual..he should be back in the AHL.

On the other hand, he's been waiting and the Flyers have been patient to get to see what he's capable of. I don't reaaaaaaally mind giving him 30+ games to show what he's got. Sure, it's not looking good right now, that I'll say. But you can't evaluate his NHL talent in the AHL anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->