Vet D-man to play with Guddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
one of the best things about our team so far this season has been our defense. they've been (atleast most often) very good but i, for one, is not super excited bout guddys defensive partner. not cuz olsen hasn't been alright but cuz i think guddy, for his continued development, should also play with a good solid vet like kulikov & ekblad does. we've seen that it's been doing wonders for them.

now, i know our main need is goal scoring wingers but i think that a bottom paring defensive partner for guddy is also important.
olsen should be kept as a 7th man, coming into the line-up when needed and do a soild job. i just don't see him doing so much for guddy right now. guddy's potential is pretty high and he needs to play with someone that makes him better and not the other way around. he's at an important crossroad of his career and i think a guy who pushes him forward in his development is vital.

just imagne that.. 3 solid d-pairings on the panthers. now that's rare to say atleast.

so any idea who whe should go after and whats it gonna cost?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I know Olsen has been one of the whipping boys this season. The main one on defense, but I think he has played well. Would prefer to go for an established scoring winger.

Thunderheart

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I know Olsen has been one of the whipping boys this season. The main one on defense, but I think he has played well. Would prefer to go for an established scoring winger.

Fully agree with BigNick...we need that pure scorer/sniper who can finish off some of these "missed" scoring opportunities:yo:

Thunderheart

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I don't think Olsen has been bad, he's been ok with Gudbranson. While a upgrade would be nice, it's below the priority of getting an established scoring winger. jmo.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
don't know if anyone even read the op i wrote.. i know all of this but;
a vet d for bottom pairing is not something thats impossible to get very cheap. i don't think any of the assets coming from us to acquire another defensive partner for guddy is gonna be the difference maker in a trade for a real good goal scorer. right?

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
..i also like olsen but perhaps more as a depth player. solid 7th d, steppin in whenever he has to and will also do a great job and not some guy that will just flat out suck. we have a log jam on offence that and one of those could be involved in a trade to fill another teams need. something pretty minor.

"but what about depth", you say? "what if our forwards get hurt"? well, we have very good players in SA just knocking on the door, ready to step in and possibly (VERY possibly) play better then some that are just hogging a roster spot for no real good reason (and leaves out players like pirri for example).

idk guys.. just seeing how good kulikov & ekblad is doing makes me wish guddy had a vet besides him too. i really want him to develop into that player that i, and we all, know he can be.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
just seeing how good kulikov & ekblad is doing makes me wish guddy had a vet besides him too. i really want him to develop into that player that i, and we all, know he can be.

Agreed... It would be great to have each young guy paired up with a mentor.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Should have kept Jovo. :sarcasm:

lol.
this is sort of my point tho. at this stage of his career, depending on who he plays with will have a huge impact on his development.
it can hold it back: like it did with jovo
it can be meh: like it does with olsen
it can boost it: like it has for ekblad & kulikov

AussiePanther7

Oct 22, 2013
14 goals given up in 6 games is a great effort. Considering we gave 5 up in the one game against the Devils.

Seeing some solid foundations being laid down on the D which is something I haven't seen from this team in the 5 years I have supported them.

Now we just need the offense to fire, 4 Goals in the last game suggests maybe, just maybe things are starting to work for us.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
14 goals given up in 6 games is a great effort. Considering we gave 5 up in the one game against the Devils.

Seeing some solid foundations being laid down on the D which is something I haven't seen from this team in the 5 years I have supported them.

Now we just need the offense to fire, 4 Goals in the last game suggests maybe, just maybe things are starting to work for us.

yeah and then why not make even stronger? it's pretty fragile as it is. if we were to get an injury on one of our key defensemen i doubt it would be so good anymore.
also: if we can't score then it's even more important that we have soild d and good depth at that position.

now i'm not talking bout a trade for shea freaking weber. i'm talking bout a guy like.. idk. grossman, polak, oduya or someone like that. that sort of caliber. a guy who goes to work every day and also have a few tricks up his sleeve.. we have plenty of assets to make a trade like that happen.

b/c prospects/picks/roster players that we easily can replace

a guy like flash won't fetch eberle but with a few tweaks he could bring in a guy lke the ones i mentioned above to play with guddy.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
yeah and then why not make even stronger? it's pretty fragile as it is. if we were to get an injury on one of our key defensemen i doubt it would be so good anymore.
also: if we can't score then it's even more important that we have soild d and good depth at that position.

now i'm not talking bout a trade for shea freaking weber. i'm talking bout a guy like.. idk. grossman, polak, oduya or someone like that. that sort of caliber. a guy who goes to work every day and also have a few tricks up his sleeve.. we have plenty of assets to make a trade like that happen.

b/c prospects/picks/roster players that we easily can replace

a guy like flash won't fetch eberle but with a few tweaks he could bring in a guy lke the ones i mentioned above to play with guddy.

Trust me, we don't want Grossman. He's slow as molasses, that's why the Flyers are trying to get rid of him. Wouldn't fit in here at all. The Hawks aren't going to trade Oduya, if they were it would have happened by now. They moved Leddy, they aren't moving any other d-men. Polak would be pretty expensive to acquire if you're talking picks/prospects.

I think some guys who could be available around the deadline or maybe a little sooner are Ference, Hejda, Gleason, Potter and Schlemko. As for right now though, I have no idea. The Flyers are supposedly shopping Grossman and Schenn, but we don't want any part of them.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Olsen has been fine, don't know why a lot of people are still singling him out. Him and Gudbranso, for whatever reason, play well together. He is even maning getting PP minutes because of his ability to put he puck on net... what more can you ask if your 6th dman? I just don't think you will find better results from veteran 6th dmen around the league. I agree with you regarding depth... we all have seen Robak play and know that his AHL game has not translated well to the NHL, so I wouldn't mind getting another 7th dman, whoever that may be.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don't mind Olsen and Guds together, especially since Olsen looks like his pre-injury self, and so does their pairing. Gudbranson has looked really good so far this season, and I think his comfort with Olsen plays into that. Also looks like he worked on a lot this off-season.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
dude, i was just picking players of the top of my head to show what sort of players i ment.

Yeah, but the guy you name are all bad choices. One is much worse than Olsen, one is sure not to move and the other one would be expensive to get. There are not many players that fit what you are talking about.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Don't get why people want to scratch Dylan Olsen ! Really don't get it... I also don't get why he is getting so much criticism...

Always liked Dylan... He is also a young defenseman that is ready to play. A young player with some potential IMO. How do you expect him to progress by putting him in the stands ?

Bad idea IMO. Just let the kid play and live with some of those mistakes, but also appreciate his potential (tying goal last game is all because of him and his abilities)... He doesn't hurt the team. And like some noticed, Gudbranson and him seem to thrive playing together.

Gudbranson will be fine, even playing with Olsen instead of Campbell or Mitchell, remember those vets are still around him during practice and in the locker-room... Gudbranson is even starting to show all his potential.

Can't wait for the playoffs so that the whole NHL discover Guddy once again ! ;)

And keep Olsen in the lineup ! It is a must for his progress, because we have to take care of his potential as much as Erik's IMO.

Watch this defensive corp develop through the year, I would bet that this group will be one of the best in the East by the end of the season !

TheEkbombIsReal

Paaaaaanthers
Aug 19, 2011
Gothenburg
Vet d-man.... hmmm maybe re-sign Jovo? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I actually think Olsen has played pretty alright. Don't see the need right now to aquire another d-man. I'd rather aquire a forward with a decent shot.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Guddy seems to work with Olsen jsut fine. That and Olsen is contributing pretty well on the offense side. The ig thing for me if we were to bring in a bottom pairing guy is that he has to be gone quickly. There are too many D-men coming up to have a spot occupied by a career 3rd paring guy. Have to think one of Matheson, Raccine, Petro will be full time next season.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
As much as a gripe on our D, they have all been way better than I expected. I think Olsen and Gudbranson will only get better. I kind of want to see how these two progress as the season rolls on(though it seems like we never play any more).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
don't know if anyone even read the op i wrote.. i know all of this but;
a vet d for bottom pairing is not something thats impossible to get very cheap. i don't think any of the assets coming from us to acquire another defensive partner for guddy is gonna be the difference maker in a trade for a real good goal scorer. right?

We did. We just think it will be a waste, and Olsen has been good, and some of us don't understand the dislike he's getting around here.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
feel olsen just has a slow first couple steps.. Its noticable and he gets himself in trouble with that. But he grasps the game pretty well and works well will guddy. I feel the arguements of hes holding back gudy with minutes is incorrect. Fact is were a better team with ekblad and campbell out there Offensively... Kuli and mitchell are a balance act... and guddy and olsen are the younger version of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad