Very quick Ilitch/Yzerman update

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I could see Yzerman not being interested in the Detroit job right now for whatever reason. But leaving TB for the NYR (or any other random team really) makes no sense.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wouldn't that be a kick in the head if we don't get Yzerman as GM after all

My second choice would be Mark Hunter, then
Wouldn't bother me. An outsider would disrupt the country club atmosphere in the Red Wings front office. The problem with this club is too much loyalty, and someone without connections can clean house at lot faster.

Keep in mind that Yzerman actually played with Kronwall and Howard, and he was VP when Helm, Ericsson, and Abby entered the league. I'm sure Stevie has a soft spot for the veterans.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Yzerman isn't going anywhere besides to Detroit, we all know that. What remains to be seen is if he takes a role outside of GM until Hollands contract is up or if they actually ask Holland to step down. As much as I want to see Yzerman in the GM role this summer, I have a hard time believing that they won't allow Holland to fulfill his contract considering the Red Wings loyalty and success he has had.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Yzerman never played with Vinny. I'm talking about vets he played with or managed previously with the Wings. Don't quote a sentence out of context, that's a **** move.
Yzerman did't play with Lecavalier. However, Lecavalier was the face of the Tampa franchise, much as Yzerman was for Detroit. If Yzerman was willing to move Lecavalier, he would move any player on Detroit's roster if he thought the end result would improve the team.

I am not sure where you get your prospective, but there is nothing to suggest Yzerman has a soft spot for veterans, whether he has played with them or not.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think this Rangers thing is a bunch of bullshit. I don’t think Yzerman is speaking on open jobs, so it sounds like someone asked him if he was interested, and he didn’t outright say no, so they just ran with a misleading title.

He wouldn’t essentially quit his job in Tampa and move to New York right off the bat when he’s cited being around for his family more. Also, why the f*** would anyone want to work for James Dolan? He’s an absolute asshole. That would have to be one of the most undesirable jobs you could offer me for that reason specifically.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
To me this smells of one of two things:

1. Steve’s agent (or another close advisor) is letting Illitch know that Yzerman is interested in more than an advisory role and that Chris can’t just waltz in expecting Steve to crawl back to Detroit. This seems most likely to me.

2. Someone mutually close to Yzerman and also the Rangers is leaking Steve’s name to let the Rangers fans have hope that Dolan won’t stick with the same old boys club that has plagued Edmonton. That way when Yzerman turns down the Rangers and they subsequently hire Davidson or Messier, they can sell that they went whale hunting. It just didn’t work out.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
In 2007, Yzerman was given a key to the city.

If he comes back, I believe he really doesn't have interest in any other team, it will be when he is given the key to the Wings. It will be done respectfully, and the with full consent of Holland. It will be his team to run going forward.

Reactions: Jeff!

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Wouldn't bother me. An outsider would disrupt the country club atmosphere in the Red Wings front office. The problem with this club is too much loyalty, and someone without connections can clean house at lot faster.

Keep in mind that Yzerman actually played with Kronwall and Howard, and he was VP when Helm, Ericsson, and Abby entered the league. I'm sure Stevie has a soft spot for the veterans.
I don't think so, I think he might clean house and some of the fans might turn on him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yzerman wanted to cut travel and be more with his family. And that family lives at Detroit.

How does New York anyhow work with this "problem", if that was the reason to leave Tampa?
Exactly Yzerman is pretty much on record, Saying that he plans on living long term with his family in Detroit. So the New York Rangers absolutely make zero sense.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

1. Steve’s agent (or another close advisor) is letting Illitch know that Yzerman is interested in more than an advisory role and that Chris can’t just waltz in expecting Steve to crawl back to Detroit. This seems most likely to me.

2. Someone mutually close to Yzerman and also the Rangers is leaking Steve’s name to let the Rangers fans have hope that Dolan won’t stick with the same old boys club that has plagued Edmonton. That way when Yzerman turns down the Rangers and they subsequently hire Davidson or Messier, they can sell that they went whale hunting. It just didn’t work out.

I would be extremely surprised if the Illitches/Yzerman/Holland didn't already know exactly how things are going to play out this offseason.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Could be just NYC tabloid b.s. too.

Reactions: Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think so, I think he might clean house and some of the fans might turn on him.
Why would fans turn on him for cleaning house? I would think that most of the fans who even pay attention to anybody besides the GM would think a clean slate would be a GOOD thing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman did't play with Lecavalier. However, Lecavalier was the face of the Tampa franchise, much as Yzerman was for Detroit. If Yzerman was willing to move Lecavalier, he would move any player on Detroit's roster if he thought the end result would improve the team.

I am not sure where you get your prospective, but there is nothing to suggest Yzerman has a soft spot for veterans, whether he has played with them or not.
I'm sure him and his wife are friends with some of the players off the ice. That's why Holland gave Helm a big contract, their wives are friends. The same issue occurs with the front office staff.

He had no personal connections to Vinny. Why would he care? You're stuck on the fact that I used the word "vet", the problem is the personal connections. That's why the WIngs suck right now, the personal connections between Holland and the players as well as this whole Michigan thing with Abby/DDK/Glenny. (Though Larkin was aa steal.)

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Gang, I come in peace....especially after we tied your awesome record for wins.

1. BriseBois is the real deal. Montreal was going to offer him a boatload to come there last offseason which triggered the Vinik-Yzerman meeting to clear the air and find out his future plans.
2. Barring Seattle offering a gazillion dollars, you're getting Stevie Y. according to our local media when you talk to them off the record.
3. Prepare for a major rebuild. He had BriseBois to help gut the farm system and help build our Russian-European scouting staff. Until he came on board, the clowns we had here had never heard of the QMJHL or OHL. Trust me, that's going to turn it around in 4 years.
4. Cringe as some of your favorite players come and go, but remember, it's the hidden gems that surprise you years later. Because after all, who would have thought the Bishop trade to the Kings would have yielded a D3 man in Cernak to us? We're deep in the farm leagues because of all these trades and watch what we do in Europe and Russia in the offseason to see what's next.

Enjoy your new President/GM. He's worth the heartaches in the first years of the rebuild, trust me.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Maybe not for the same reasons as you, but this is why I worry he may choose not to come back. Right now Yzerman is pretty much sitting on a pedestal when it comes to the perception of him amongst Wings fan. Go through any message board, reddit, talk to people at a game, go pretty much anywhere, and 99% of Wings fans absolutely love him.

Hockey is cyclical, and even if he comes here, at some point the team will become bad again, or at some point he will make mistakes, and he may not want to tarnish the reputation he has here. Perfect example of this is Ken Holland, had Kenny stepped down in say 2009 after the finals with the Penguins, he would have left being adored and considered one of the best GM's of all time. Now, 50% of the fan base loathe him regardless of what he's doing now. I have to think Yzerman has thought about this, it would be extremely sad to see half of this fan base turn on Yzerman when he eventually struggles, or even worse if he doesn't turn it around.

I hope he comes, and I hope this isn't something on his mind, but I very well could see it.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Gang, I come in peace....especially after we tied your awesome record for wins.

1. BriseBois is the real deal. Montreal was going to offer him a boatload to come there last offseason which triggered the Vinik-Yzerman meeting to clear the air and find out his future plans.
2. Barring Seattle offering a gazillion dollars, you're getting Stevie Y. according to our local media when you talk to them off the record.
3. Prepare for a major rebuild. He had BriseBois to help gut the farm system and help build our Russian-European scouting staff. Until he came on board, the clowns we had here had never heard of the QMJHL or OHL. Trust me, that's going to turn it around in 4 years.
4. Cringe as some of your favorite players come and go, but remember, it's the hidden gems that surprise you years later. Because after all, who would have thought the Bishop trade to the Kings would have yielded a D3 man in Cernak to us? We're deep in the farm leagues because of all these trades and watch what we do in Europe and Russia in the offseason to see what's next.

Enjoy your new President/GM. He's worth the heartaches in the first years of the rebuild, trust me.
I don't think our farm system needs gutting for the sake of gutting if you're reffering to GR. Our scouts haven't been afraid of the lesser euro leagues or the QQ reit with guys like Hronek, Kivenmaki, Zadina, Veleno, and McIsaac. le of course we've got our Scandinavian connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad