Very quick Ilitch/Yzerman update

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’ll disagree. BriseBois has had an active role in negotiations for some time now.

Scroll up and read what @NEWing posted from The Athletic. Definitely seems like a culture Yzerman created, as far as getting guys to take good deals.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Scroll up and read what @NEWing posted from The Athletic. Definitely seems like a culture Yzerman created, as far as getting guys to take good deals.

That’s on the player relationships. I get that. BriseBois was brought up as a GM under Yzerman, who had a ton more responsibility than a normal AGM. Especially this year when he’s the one calling the shots. That paired with his background, he’s perfectly capable of being more than competent, especially in negotiations, which he’s already had a role in. That’s all I’m saying.

I won’t discredit how important Yzerman is, but I also don’t think they are destined to fail because he’s leaving BriseBois in charge.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That’s on the player relationships. I get that. BriseBois was brought up as a GM under Yzerman, who had a ton more responsibility than a normal AGM. Especially this year when he’s the one calling the shots. That paired with his background, he’s perfectly capable of being more than competent, especially in negotiations, which he’s already had a role in. That’s all I’m saying.

I won’t discredit how important Yzerman is, but I also don’t think they are destined to fail because he’s leaving BriseBois in charge.

Probably not, BriseBois has been considered as one of the top GM candidates for a few years now (as far as AGM’s around the league).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Probably not, BriseBois has been considered as one of the top GM candidates for a few years now (as far as AGM’s around the league).

Exactly. That’s why I said I would have shot Kenny to the moon to get BriseBois prior to Yzerman making his announcement. I think he’s legit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Just like Fenton, who hasn't done any good move for the Wild?

BriseBois will jump in at the time of succes. Tampa guys are still taking discounts, because they haven't won anything and Yzerman bargain-negotiates those deals. When those guys become winners, you can read it here first, they will stop taking discounts. They want at least market value and then the cap edge is gone. No team can fight against that thing. It has happened for everybody. Chicago most perfect example.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Any assistant GM of a successful team is considered a top candidate. In fact, any people in management or coaching of a successful organization are considered great candidates. It's why from 2008-2015 the Red Wings bled talent. Other teams poached. It's time for Detroit to do the poaching.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
BriseBois will jump in at the time of succes. Tampa guys are still taking discounts, because they haven't won anything and Yzerman bargain-negotiates those deals. When those guys become winners, you can read it here first, they will stop taking discounts. They want at least market value and then the cap edge is gone. No team can fight against that thing. It has happened for everybody. Chicago most perfect example.
How is that a problem? The whole point of running a team is to build a championship caliber roster. If you go out and win one (or more), then all the financial fallout in the world is worth it.

I would love to see a team as talented as Tampa Bay win it all this year, and partly because I'm a fan of their management.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
How is that a problem? The whole point of running a team is to build a championship caliber roster. If you go out and win one (or more), then all the financial fallout in the world is worth it.

I would love to see a team as talented as Tampa Bay win it all this year, and partly because I'm a fan of their management.

Yeah, like people memeing Chicago's deals when they've won 3 cups and have already made huge strides to get back to relevancy.

Reactions: jkutswings

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah, like people memeing Chicago's deals when they've won 3 cups and have already made huge strides to get back to relevancy.

The Blackhawks are currently in last place in their division following two seasons of 1st round exits, missing the playoffs altogether last year, and will likely miss the playoffs again this year.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Blackhawks are currently in last place in their division following two seasons of 1st round exits, missing the playoffs altogether last year, and will likely miss the playoffs again this year.
Are you claiming they're no more relevant than 1-2 years ago? With a Hart Trophy caliber season from Kane and clearly a better collective response from the players with Colliton than with Quennville? Relevant <> contending, but the Hawks look much less "about to implode" than they did before.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Are you claiming they're no more relevant than 1-2 years ago? With a Hart Trophy caliber season from Kane and clearly a better collective response from the players with Colliton than with Quennville? Relevant <> contending, but the Hawks look much less "about to implode" than they did before.

I am. If you want to say Detroit's been irrelevant since 2012 (or whenever Nashville pantsed them), then Chicago certainly is irrelevant. Any remote "success" they have now is predicated on Patrick Kane doing Patrick Kane things. If he falls off to even a 70 point wing, they're DEAD.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Kane and Toews both had unreal seasons and they are still sitting in 22/31 league-wide

That is just about worst case scenario

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I have a weird proposal idea that would make sense for both sides. I grew up a wings fan,but started to follow the lightning when they were created near my hometown. So now I am lightning first then Detroit. I think Detroit could take on Callahan's contract for one year and possibly get yzerman as gm. It would benefit both teams tremendously. TBL may have to have add a 3rd or minor prospect.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I have a weird proposal idea that would make sense for both sides. I grew up a wings fan,but started to follow the lightning when they were created near my hometown. So now I am lightning first then Detroit. I think Detroit could take on Callahan's contract for one year and possibly get yzerman as gm. It would benefit both teams tremendously. TBL may have to have add a 3rd or minor prospect.

Or the Wings wait like two months for Yzerman's contract to run out and they don't take Ryan Callahan.

Wings aren't going to do Tampa's dirty work for them to clean up their cap.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

How does this proposal work for the Wings? Yzerman's contract expires this year, and should he be interested in coming to Detroit, he will just come on his own free will.

I can see Detroit taking on Callahan, but it would cost Tampa a lot to do so. Edit: but not as a part of the proposal you mentioned.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I am. If you want to say Detroit's been irrelevant since 2012 (or whenever Nashville pantsed them), then Chicago certainly is irrelevant. Any remote "success" they have now is predicated on Patrick Kane doing Patrick Kane things. If he falls off to even a 70 point wing, they're DEAD.
Here is the original claim (emphasis mine):

Heaton didn't state that they were already relevant, just that they made progress toward it. Which I agreed with, based on the response to the coaching change and the superb play of Kane.

But even if we agree to disagree there, the larger point is that even if Chicago becomes the next Ottawa and remains the laughing stock of the league for several years...THEY HAVE 3 CHAMPIONSHIPS TO SHOW FOR IT. Which (IMO) is more than worth the temporary financial disaster.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I don't know how anyone can claim they are making strides to become relevant again when they have basically gotten progressively worse over the last 4 years. That doesn't make any sense.

Two years ago they were in the playoffs with the 3rd best record in the entire NHL. They have now been out of the playoffs for two straight seasons (likely anyways). What twisted logic are you using to come to the conclusion that a team (on pace for) a last place finish of 83 points is more relevant than a team that finished 3rd in the NHL 2 years ago?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't know how anyone can claim they are making strides to become relevant again when they have basically gotten progressively worse over the last 4 years. That doesn't make any sense.

Two years ago they were in the playoffs with the 3rd best record in the entire NHL. They have now been out of the playoffs for two straight seasons (likely anyways). What twisted logic are you using to come to the conclusion that a team (on pace for) a last place finish of 83 points is more relevant than a team that finished 3rd in the NHL 2 years ago?

They'll say...

Kane is still playing at an MVP level.
They got a PPG forward in Debrincat
They're starting to excise some of the overpaid garbage from their blueline (which actually makes the team worse because the cheaper option is a worse hockey player, but he's cheaper)

They drafted Boqvist last year. They'll get another top 5-8 pick this year.

Chicago is going to go down and down hard before they come back up. Kane and Toews will slow down. When that happens, it'll remain to be seen if Debrincat can be the guy who carries the water for the team. If he's option 1 and 2 without Kaner taking the heat, is he still PPG?

Chicago right now is trending more to be the 2012 Wings than a team on the rise.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Chicago right now is trending more to be the 2012 Wings than a team on the rise.
Again, even if that's true, this entire exchange began with something along the lines of, "Haha, Tampa's players are going to get expensive. Pretty soon they'll have several crazy contracts like Chicago."

If a team detonates their cap situation because they made a series of bad decisions and had little to nothing to show for it, then sure, grab the pitchforks and torches. But if they're on the short list of Cup contenders year in and year out - let alone if they win multiple championships - that's just the cost of doing business, and I'll happily embrace that trade-off any day of the week.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
The telling statement from Ilitch was "I know his contract is up."

Meaning he has been keeping track. Also can not say more because of tampering.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Any assistant GM of a successful team is considered a top candidate. In fact, any people in management or coaching of a successful organization are considered great candidates. It's why from 2008-2015 the Red Wings bled talent. Other teams poached. It's time for Detroit to do the poaching.

this.

paul fenton looked like a great GM candidate. but now he looks like a moron GM, lol.

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->