very interesting video

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA

they should get some recogniton :nod:

Fascinating piece. I wonder whether it really was a league, though, since one of the media pieces shown in the clip seemed to say there was only one team composed of black players.

I well remember O'Ree breaking the color barrier in the NHL in 1958. It got quite a bit of mention in the mass media at the time. But this episode of hockey history had been overlooked or forgotten long before then.

Thanks for posting this.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Take this stuff with a grain of salt. The Fostys aren't known for showing their work, so to speak. Many of their claims haven't really been substantiated, and they seem more interested in the publicity and making sensationalist claims than anything. They say mainstream hockey historians (is there such a thing) are just trying to keep them down, man.

IMHO and all that, of course.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
i wish some of black NHLers demand the HHOF to include herb carnegie...even though he never played in the NHL...

if someone like cyclone taylor or anatoli tarasov, who did not play or coach in the NHL, gets into the HHOF...why not carnegie?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
i wish some of black NHLers demand the HHOF to include herb carnegie...even though he never played in the NHL...
I know several historians who believe Carnegie should be in the Hall, though of course a few NHL players demanding it happen won't make it happen.

if someone like cyclone taylor or anatoli tarasov, who did not play or coach in the NHL, gets into the HHOF...why not carnegie?
Because there's a very wide gulf between what these men accomplished and what Carnegie did? Based on Carnegie's performance in the leagues he did play in, he wouldn't have been one of the best in the NHL had he played there; he would have been a good player. Fred Taylor was the dominant scorer in the PCHA for many years, when that league was the NHA/NHL's equal. They're not in the same class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad