Very great editorial today in La Presse

Status
Not open for further replies.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Russian Fan said:
WRONG ! The only thing preventing a deal getting done is to the owner realizing that it's not a dictatorship era & that you have 2 sides to make a deal.

Yes it does take two sides to make a deal. But if the side that has to take all the losses decides that the other side will never give them any deal that will give them a reasonable chance to make money, they just shut down the league. That will be great for all the players, wouldn't it? Since they do provide ALL the financial backing for the league, they should have a big say in how it is run.

The options I listed answered most of the major concerns the anti-cap/greedy player side has voiced. I'm sure there are other options as well. If the players are going to outright reject a salary cap without looking at mechanisms such as this to resolve concerns, the only reason for this rejection would be greed. Why else?

Bad management? By some owners yes. If some owners don't mind losing money and that is causing problems with the other owners, a solution to that has to be negotiated in the CBA. The players don't want to give the owners a strong mechanism to control owner spending because of greed. If you think it is other wise, you are just a naive as you claimed everyone else is in your other thread.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
djhn579 said:
Yes it does take two sides to make a deal. But if the side that has to take all the losses decides that the other side will never give them any deal that will give them a reasonable chance to make money, they just shut down the league. That will be great for all the players, wouldn't it? Since they do provide ALL the financial backing for the league, they should have a big say in how it is run. .

Again , stop looking at salaries for 1 second & prove me that EVERY NHL TEAM HAS MADE GOOD DECISIONS ?

Are the SABRES made good decisions ?
Are the Penguins made good decisions ?
Are the NYRangers made good decisions ?
Are the Blues made good decisions ?

You can't prove that ALL THE LOSSES are related to the salaries or the CBA. All you do is do a stupid elementary result : Bobby Holik 9M$ = 9M$ losses.

Can you wake up & realize that there is more to do aside of the contract ? The market is correcting itself & it's not because of the looming lockout but because GM's now can relate that one 9M$ superstar can make that much of a difference between being a cup contender & being out of playoffs.

djhn579 said:
The options I listed answered most of the major concerns the anti-cap/greedy player side has voiced. I'm sure there are other options as well. If the players are going to outright reject a salary cap without looking at mechanisms such as this to resolve concerns, the only reason for this rejection would be greed. Why else?.

Taking a 5% paycut is being GREEDY ?
Taking a rookie entry level adjustment is being GREEDY ?
Offering a luxury tax is being GREEDY ?

Where do you live ?

They know the mechanism of a salary cap, a majority of pro-NFLer will tell you that the guy who accept a hard cap for the NFLPA should be six feet under because they are treated like MEAT.

djhn579 said:
Bad management? By some owners yes. If some owners don't mind losing money and that is causing problems with the other owners, a solution to that has to be negotiated in the CBA. The players don't want to give the owners a strong mechanism to control owner spending because of greed. If you think it is other wise, you are just a naive as you claimed everyone else is in your other thread.

You are looking only to the rich people when BAD DECISIONS & BAD MANAGEMENT is coming from the Sabres, the Penguins, the Oilers, the Canadiens not only from the Blues or the NYRangers. Wake up !

I'm laughing very hard right now.

Let's go to another context.

The public transportation administration & the bus-subway drivers are ending their CBA.

The PT Admin want all drivers to take a 25% paycut because the PT Administration had a 70M$ losses last year.

The drivers association said no because they claim that those 70% losses are mostly due to bad management & bad accountability. They are willing to offer a 5% paycut in order to give the PT Administration more breathe in order for them to get their management & accountant problem.

Are the drivers GREEDY ?
Are the drivers association GREEDY because they don't want the administration to solve all their problems on the back of their drivers ? They understand that they loss money & they are willing to take a paycut but they also see that the problem is not only the drivers salary. Some management & accountability department need a clean up also.

Do you UNDERSTAND what I'm saying ? or is it too hard for you to understand ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting back to hockey ?

NHLPA acknowledge that 75% of the NHL franchise are losing money.

The way you are talking, you think that they don't acknowledge that ! but not because they loses money they should cave.

Everything need to be investigate to see what goes wrong with an NHL team.

NHLAPA acknowledge that the NHL loss 224M$ instead of 273M$

Forget for 1 second the 49M$ discrepancy. Is that because the lose 224M$ it's all their fault ?

Everything need to be investigate to see what goes wrong with an NHL team.

NHLPA saw that 75% of that 224M$ was the loss of 6 NHL TEAMS

NYRangers , St-Louis, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, NYIslanders. I still dont know the 6th!

NYRangers dig their own grave, should we blame the CBA for it ?

St-Louis loss 30M$ & told the NHL that everything is fine.

New Jersey does have a poor arena lease so that means POOR MANAGEMENT/POOR ACCOUNTABILITY

Pittsburgh does have a poor arena lease so that means POOR MANAGEMENT/POOR ACCOUNTABILITY

NYIslanders does have a poor arena lease so that means POOR MANAGEMENT/POOR ACCOUNTABILITY

Will you blame the CBA for those 5 teams that we know LOSE MONEY ? Or should they start thinking about getting a NEW ARENA or MOVING the FRANCHISE ???

25% of 224M$ losses is coming from 17 other NHL Franchises

25% of 224M$ = 56M$ divide by 16 NHL teams = 3,29M$

3,29M$ per team do you think it's all about the PLAYERS FAULT ?

Montréal overpaid for Patrice Brisebois 4M$ a year ? Don't tell me that the free market made the Montreal Canadiens paid Brisebois that much !

Boston overpaid for Lapointe 5M$ a year ? This was a market offer because a few teams were ready to pay him that much. But again, was it a GM's decisions to do so ? YES. If the team lose 3,29M$ (average) can they compensate somewhere else ?

Also ASK YOURSELF ?

Do they have the best MARKETING PERSONEL ?
Do they have the best ADMINISTRATION STAFF ?
Do they have the best SCOUTING STAFF ?

Everything outside of the players salary will increase of DECREASE the REVENUES of a NHL franchise ? Are the players RESPONSIBLE for what EVERY OWNER do with their personal by hiring INCOMPETENCY ? Should the NHLPA be there when there a spot open in some NHL TEAM STAFF ?

So the players offer a 5% paycut with means 108M$of savings for NHL. 108M$ = 3,6M$ less in average per team. there a VERY GOOD START !!!

Don't tell me that once the market open the GM's will continue to spend because if they do so , it's up to the NHL Owner of that team to take it's power & do something with that GM's.

The player offer a luxury tax over 40M$ where the money will go directly to the small market needs. MLB shows that a luxury taxe make the salary decrease by 3% the 1st year. Add the 5% (108M$) + 3% (= approximately 60M$) = 160-168M$ in saving !! after 1 year if it goes like the MLB.

Do you think if the owner do their job like every other companies they would be able to be competitive & making money ? I DO THINK SO !!!

Now everything I just talked about is not side with the NHLPA , it's just experience in the financial business world as an intermediate.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Russian Fan said:
Taking a 5% paycut is being GREEDY ?
Taking a rookie entry level adjustment is being GREEDY ?
Offering a luxury tax is being GREEDY ?

5% paycut - This is a joke. They willl make that back the next season.

Rookie entry level adjustment - minor at best and then they just hold out for more money later

Luxury tax - yes any thing but allow the owners to not spend as much money as they are today.

The rest of your post, I must admit, I did not bother reading. Which is most likely what you do with anybody that disagrees with your point of view.

The players are all about greed. High player salaries do nothing for the fans or the teams. The players want to keep making all the money they want, regardless if teams are losing money.

You blame the owners for everything, yet you fight against any mechanism that will correct the problem. The only solution for you is the status quo, which obviously is not working.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
djhn579 said:
The rest of your post, I must admit, I did not bother reading. Which is most likely what you do with anybody that disagrees with your point of view.

Thank you for this disrespectful comment, I won't waste any of my time explaining that I'm on the business side & not the NHLPA side.

If you can't understand that every business is about making decisions & making bad decisions is part of the business evolution then I can't do anything for you.

Last thing : The owners are not there for the love of the fans & the game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
YES. You provided the answer to that in your first post. A few owners are responsible for much of the losses. Those few owners have some of the highest salaries in the league and don't mind losing that money. The rest of the owners have to pay the going rate for players, and the going rate is set by people that don't mind losing money.

The only thing preventing a deal getting done is the players greed.

Then the onus should be on the owners for spending their money wisely. Why should the players care? The owners are the ones who are paying the players the money.

The NHL's losing money problems lie much deeper than giving guys like Martin Lapointe $5 million a year.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Russian Fan said:
NHLPA acknowledge that the NHL loss 224M$ instead of 273M$[/SIZE][/B]

Forget for 1 second the 49M$ discrepancy. Is that because the lose 224M$ it's all their fault ?

I was wondering about that discrepancy too. Daly just said that its because the PA is adding the profits from teams that made money to the total losses of losing teams to come up with a net league loss which is lower than the the just the losses from teams that lost money.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
thinkwild said:
I was wondering about that discrepancy too. Daly just said that its because the PA is adding the profits from teams that made money to the total losses of losing teams to come up with a net league loss which is lower than the the just the losses from teams that lost money.

That would make sense !

Thanks !

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
thinkwild said:

Take $49 million and divide it among 30 teams.

$1,633,333.33

With proper marketing, that can be made within a week

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
go kim johnsson said:
Then the onus should be on the owners for spending their money wisely. Why should the players care? The owners are the ones who are paying the players the money.

The NHL's losing money problems lie much deeper than giving guys like Martin Lapointe $5 million a year.

That is the problem. Some of the owners just don't care. The rest of the owners have no choice but to try to remain competetive. If they don't try to remain competetive, they lose fans, then they lose their teams (bankruptcy).

As long as there is nothing preventing all owners from spending unwisely, the owners that do spend wisely will need to try to keep up with the handfull of owners that don't spend wisely.

The only way to correct this is to put it in the CBA. The NHLPA will fight anything that significantly controls spending because they will see salary decreases.

If not a cap, how about putting a heavy fine on any team that loses money and their team salary is above the league average, say they are fined $10 for every $1 in losses. That way the owners that don't care about raising salaries and taking losses will need to think twice before doing that. If a team with a $70M payroll lost $30M and had to pay a $300M fine, they would get their spending down very quickly.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Russian Fan said:

NYRangers , St-Louis, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, NYIslanders. I still dont know the 6th!

Great work, RF, top to bottom. I don't think the point can be emphasized enough. Some of the things you describe as incompetence may be a deliberate structure in the integrated company. It is common in the entertainment industry. The content loses money but the distribution of the content makes a ton. Almost every business is very complicated, impossible to sort out.

I don't know the source of the information in this case, but a source also told Larry Brooks that the Ranger's were the number one money loser. Goodenow is almost surely describing St. Louis as a second team as you pointed out. I also like New Jersey and the Islanders as members of the top six.

But Pittsburgh? How could the Penguin's lose a lot of money with that payroll? Insurance picked up the tab for Mario. The teams with small payrolls didn't lose a lot of money. The teams that lose money - however they do it - surely have winner's payrolls and loser's revenues. I'd put Washington in that group for sure, probably second to the Rangers.

The whole thing strains the credibility. The Blues lose money unless the players basically play for free? How can that be? The Rangers would lose money if their payroll was about $40 million? On the face of it it seems ridiculous.

Tom

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
djhn579 said:
That is the problem. Some of the owners just don't care. The rest of the owners have no choice but to try to remain competetive. If they don't try to remain competetive, they lose fans, then they lose their teams (bankruptcy).

Nonsense. Ottawa knew Bonk was going to ask for $4mil and probably get it, similarly Lalime. We lost them. Fans are cheering.

As long as there is nothing preventing all owners from spending unwisely, the owners that do spend wisely will need to try to keep up with the handfull of owners that don't spend wisely.

No, teams like Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Tanpa Bay, Columbus dont have to keep up with the spending of rich teams. That is exactly the wrong strategy.

How can Tampa Bay compete against Colorado when they have $10mil Forsberg and Sakic? How can they compete if they cant buy a similar $10mil player? By developing their own cheaply, and paying for them only after they have earned all the extra playoff revenue.

You cant buy a champ. You have to grow one. You need a system that accomodates starting cheap and growing.

No matter what system, if you accumulate a lot of good players, you have to make choices. More so under a uniform team payroll cap.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Russian Fan said:

I would bet the 6th is either Florida, Carolina or Anaheim.

Red flag though should be thrown up. 4 of those teams are in the Atlantic division. Not the south, not the west, a division that is part of the bread and butter of the league. 3 of these teams won the Cup within the past 13 years.

The Blues have made the playoffs 24 straight years.

And people say the Flyers are one of the teams that ruin the league :innocent:

Brent Burns Beard