Very good players on very bad teams

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
It's stretching it a bit, but Kessel was by the far the best player from 2009-2015 Leafs, a team that made the playoffs in a 48 game season. Was around a 66 point player a season.

True enough stats wise however Kessel rightly or wrongly was considered a poster child for the Leafs woes during his tenure there. I don't think the way he has been largely regarded in Toronto fits the OP.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don't think you can make the argument about Iginla for his whole career, because the good/bad seasons don't line up that way. In his prime, when he was very good, the Flames were a decent team. The years they were bad, were also the years before he was dominant.

That being said, the big exception is 2002. That season was definitely a case of dominant player, terrible team.

The 2001-2002 Calgary Flames if I recall started off red hot, like 13-2-3-2 I believe.
Then after that, everything went downhill...it was pretty much Iginla racking up the points from there on end which he did.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Very good.
Pretty good.
Good.
Not bad.
Not so good.
Bad.

There is a lot of ground between 'very good' and 'bad'.

Viktor was... not bad.

I would argue he was better than that, a good player that had the talent to be very good but was often misused because of his frame and the general style of play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->