Sportsnet: Very good chance the Panthers buy out Reimer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On hockey central today, when the Brassard trade broke it was speculated that this move was made to clear cap space to land Panarin and Bob out of Columbus Doug Maclean said that James Reimer was likely to be bought out in an effort to clear even more space.

Can Florida actually do this? can they actually land not one but 2 stars at once?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Panarin wants to be close to an Ocean is the rumor.
He could sign knowing he will be with Barkov for the length of the contract.
Not a bad place to go, especially with the low taxes as well.

Bob I have no clue, I would stay away at his reported salary ask. To much of a big polar stat line, great season followed by meh. He is playing ok this year, but not like a (reported) top 3 cap hit goalie.

member 157595

On hockey central today, when the Brassard trade broke it was speculated that this move was made to clear cap space to land Panarin and Bob out of Columbus Doug Maclean said that James Reimer was likely to be bought out in an effort to clear even more space.

Can Florida actually do this? can they actually land not one but 2 stars at once?

Why not? They have the cap space and a Panthers team with Panarin and Bob added is very competitive.

Reactions: Laus723

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I would hope to not buy him out. Rather see Reimer and a 3rd/4th get traded off somewhere instead.

Reactions: Laus723

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Per cap friendly Reiner has salary of $3.1 million then the following year SB of $2.25 million and $840k of salary.

So total buyout would cost $2.25 million of SB plus $2.63 million of salary.

That’s $4.9 million they owe of the $6.8 million cash.

They save all of $1.32 million cash.

Minimal savings from a buyout butnipens a roster spot.

member 157595

Agreed but when has Florida ever made a big UFA signing let alone 2 at once?

If Panarin and Bob want to play there, then the Panthers will definitely do everything to make that happen.

They'd be yet another team in the Atlantic with a loaded forward core that is looking to improve their D. :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed but when has Florida ever made a big UFA signing let alone 2 at once?

I would say Yandle was a big one for that UFA market, not at the level of these 2 of course.

But when have they had a C like Barkov before? and forwards like Trocheck, Huberdeau, Dadonov, Hoffman to support him?

They could do really well here if they trade Brassard+ Hoffman for assets(+ cap space) and then follow it up with signing Panarin+ Bob.

One of the top top6's in the league with strong prospect pool.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If Panarin and Bob want to play there, then the Panthers will definitely do everything to make that happen.

They'd be yet another team in the Atlantic with a loaded forward core that is looking to improve their D. :laugh:

I wouldn't mind it, the Atlantic would be ridiculous with Toronto, Tampa, Florida Boston, the rest would be screwed

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
No surprises here. He was a poor back up in Toronto and I still have no clue how he got a 5 year deal at that money.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buying him out saves 2.5 million this summer and he sucks, I could see it

We told you so when he singed, still though I'd rather have Reimer over Sparks, which is saying something because I HATED Reimer by the but at least Reimer had stretches where he was GREAT, Sparks has had no such stretch, he's barely had an average stretch

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
His buyout structure is really weird because of his contract. IF (again, these are all just spitball rumours) the Panthers would honestly consider buying out Reimer more as a means of creating a roster spot for Bob vs cap space, how about this...

To FLA: Talbot, Spooner

To EDM: Reimer

Talbot expires at the end of the year, Spooner is roughly same money as Reimer but 1 year fewer and a more standard buyout. Win-win. Panthers create their roster spot in goal and get better future cap space, Oil get more cap room this season to adjust the roster AND get an insurance policy for Koskinen (albeit underperforming and overpaid, but still more productive than Spooner.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
He wasn't a poor back up in Toronto lol. He was a 1B type goalie. Had very good stretches.
He was a 2b in Toronto. He was a forced starter cause the leafs had nobody else. His last year in Toronto you knew he wasn't even good enough to be an nhl backup. He hasn't been good enough in 3 years in Florida to even compete to be a starter and Florida is 2 cheap to send a $3mil goalie to the minors.

Reactions: smitty10

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
His last year in Toronto you knew he wasn't even good enough to be an nhl backup. He hasn't been good enough in 3 years in Florida to even compete to be a starter

He had a 2.49 GAA and a .918 SV% on a horrendous team his last year in Toronto. I remember on some mid-season awards articles, he was a Vezina finalist. Then he got traded to the Sharks and had 3 shutouts in 8 games. In his first 2 years in Florida, he played 40 games+ each year and had SV% of .920 and .913. He had positive GSAA in all of these seasons. I would agree with you that he has been poor this year, but saying he was poor backup/ AHL starter quality the 3 seasons before that is just plain ignorant.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
His buyout structure is really weird because of his contract. IF (again, these are all just spitball rumours) the Panthers would honestly consider buying out Reimer more as a means of creating a roster spot for Bob vs cap space, how about this...

To FLA: Talbot, Spooner

To EDM: Reimer

Talbot expires at the end of the year, Spooner is roughly same money as Reimer but 1 year fewer and a more standard buyout. Win-win. Panthers create their roster spot in goal and get better future cap space, Oil get more cap room this season to adjust the roster AND get an insurance policy for Koskinen (albeit underperforming and overpaid, but still more productive than Spooner.

It would actually cost Florida exactly the same $ to buy out Spooner than to buy out Reimer. The only difference for them is the would have to pay for the rest of the year Spooner + Talbot (1,2M + 1,43M) instead of just Reimer (1,17 M). Beside obviously helping Edmonton by lowering their cap significantly this year and making them save 1,4M real money, I fail to see what Florida gets out of that trade since they are not a cap team.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
He had a 2.49 GAA and a .918 SV% on a horrendous team his last year in Toronto. I remember on some mid-season awards articles, he was a Vezina finalist. Then he got traded to the Sharks and had 3 shutouts in 8 games. In his first 2 years in Florida, he played 40 games+ each year and had SV% of .920 and .913. He had positive GSAA in all of these seasons. I would agree with you that he has been poor this year, but saying he was poor backup/ AHL starter quality the 3 seasons before that is just plain ignorant.

Do you remember his rebound lack of control? The eye test. Every shot you were worried cause he couldnt make a routine stop. He was/is a $900 000 back up goalie on a team with a clear #1. Now I doubt he even gets another contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad