Equipment: Very desperate for help fixing uncommon skate profile problem

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
Experienced skater EXTREMELY desperate for some help in regards to skate profiling different sized skates. Going to try to keep this short as possible.

I have custom skates where the left boot is slightly shorter in length than the right. The holder on the left boot protrudes the toe cap slightly when looking down while wearing the skates. The right boot because it is bigger, you do not see the holder stick out in front of the toe cap when looking down. Also, the skates are at least 1 size too big. (Long story on how this happened).

With that being said I got my skates profiled but with the system my profiler used the 3 markings on the holder for the profile are not on the same spot for both boots. Probably only 3 mm or so apart. He said it's because the boots are different size, the balance points aren't identical, so it makes sense the markings don't match up exactly.

I got a 8.5' / 9.5' profile (3/4 hollow) done today. The left skate feels great, thinking of trying 8' / 9' 13/16 hollow next. The right skate feels off though. When I lean forward and try to get a full hard stride out it feels like the right blade wants to catch the the outside edge which makes it feel like I'm not getting a smooth transition into the stride. Also whenever I put my weight on my right foot it feels like I have a slight hump near the front of my heel, as if it's trying to make me balance at a point I'm not supposed to be. It is felt even more so when I turn 180 degrees to my right utilizing that right skate. Lastly if I try to roll onto my tipy toe it doesn't roll as fluidly as the left skate and if I try to roll my weight back (toes up off the ice standing straight) I feel like I'm almost stuck on that same "hump" I mentioned earlier. It feels weird getting over that heel hump when leaning backwards and feel any useful blade past that point.

I came up with a few ideas but I'm not sure if any of them will work. 1) Ask profiler to match profile points independent of boot size difference. 2) Shift the profile on the right skate a few MM back. Not sure if it needs to be shifted forwards or back though? 3) Leave the "balance" points where he said they need to be but change the profile only on the right skate. Thinking 8' / 9'. I think the 8' in the front will help the stride issue I'm having but not sure if the 9' would help at all with that heel point issue. Has anyone ever even had different profiles for their left and right skate? That idea doesn't sound right.

Sorry for the long post. It could've probably been 3 times longer if I went into more detail about the custom skates, holder alignment issues and previous profiles attempted.

Really hoping someone can chime in with some suggestions and hopefully a fix.

Thanks!

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yeah, the same thing happened to me last season

What you need to do is soak your right skate in molasses for about 3 - 4 hours

That'll fix the problem for you

David Leger

Aug 8, 2019
Markham, ON
Yeah, the same thing happened to me last season

What you need to do is soak your right skate in molasses for about 3 - 4 hours

That'll fix the problem for you
Can you elaborate on this one ? Cause I'm lost when it comes to making a connection on how that would fix anything?

David Leger

Aug 8, 2019
Markham, ON
Experienced skater EXTREMELY desperate for some help in regards to skate profiling different sized skates. Going to try to keep this short as possible.

I have custom skates where the left boot is slightly shorter in length than the right. The holder on the left boot protrudes the toe cap slightly when looking down while wearing the skates. The right boot because it is bigger, you do not see the holder stick out in front of the toe cap when looking down. Also, the skates are at least 1 size too big. (Long story on how this happened).

With that being said I got my skates profiled but with the system my profiler used the 3 markings on the holder for the profile are not on the same spot for both boots. Probably only 3 mm or so apart. He said it's because the boots are different size, the balance points aren't identical, so it makes sense the markings don't match up exactly.

I got a 8.5' / 9.5' profile (3/4 hollow) done today. The left skate feels great, thinking of trying 8' / 9' 13/16 hollow next. The right skate feels off though. When I lean forward and try to get a full hard stride out it feels like the right blade wants to catch the the outside edge which makes it feel like I'm not getting a smooth transition into the stride. Also whenever I put my weight on my right foot it feels like I have a slight hump near the front of my heel, as if it's trying to make me balance at a point I'm not supposed to be. It is felt even more so when I turn 180 degrees to my right utilizing that right skate. Lastly if I try to roll onto my tipy toe it doesn't roll as fluidly as the left skate and if I try to roll my weight back (toes up off the ice standing straight) I feel like I'm almost stuck on that same "hump" I mentioned earlier. It feels weird getting over that heel hump when leaning backwards and feel any useful blade past that point.

I came up with a few ideas but I'm not sure if any of them will work. 1) Ask profiler to match profile points independent of boot size difference. 2) Shift the profile on the right skate a few MM back. Not sure if it needs to be shifted forwards or back though? 3) Leave the "balance" points where he said they need to be but change the profile only on the right skate. Thinking 8' / 9'. I think the 8' in the front will help the stride issue I'm having but not sure if the 9' would help at all with that heel point issue. Has anyone ever even had different profiles for their left and right skate? That idea doesn't sound right.

Sorry for the long post. It could've probably been 3 times longer if I went into more detail about the custom skates, holder alignment issues and previous profiles attempted.

Really hoping someone can chime in with some suggestions and hopefully a fix.

Thanks!
Lots of information in this post... But could still use some more. such as why your skates are different sizes, yet one size too big... But ... no matter the reason, a few things come to mind without seeing the skates.

There are a lot of variables at play here... First thing would be to check the level of the edges... IF they aren't square that could be an issue... Often times sharpeners don't check the level, and assume they are on the money because they "Have their jig dialed in"... We all know what assuming does...

yeah, if you have different sized blades, that could definitely be throwing you off as well... Especially if your previous skates were not like that... Speaking of which... You may have grown accustomed to the profile from previous skates and need some adjustment time...

The one thing that caught my attention is that you mentioned the feeling of a hump... That may be your issue... The blade may need to be blended a little better... or the profile stretched out a bit more... brought forward.... If you have removable blades you could try comparing the profiles... I would shift focus on the bump for the time being and rule that out first. If your sharpener/profile is knowledgeable, loop them in on the conversation.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Can you elaborate on this one ? Cause I'm lost when it comes to making a connection on how that would fix anything?

The sugars in the molasses soften the interior of the skate resulting in a perfect fit every time!

For best results, re-soak your skate before the start of each season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad