Versus to Announce USA WJC Team

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
They're both irrelivant if they're not even going to give the WJC's air time. No one in the USA has TV rights on it, VS could probably pay $1 to pick it up.

If I ran the world, I'd make sure that the WJCs were on American television. However, I don't run the world. I don't look at VS's balance sheets, and I don't know how they make their decisions.

Having said that, when they make a decision to put something hockey-related on television, I don't understand why anyone could think that that's a bad thing. It seems to me that there's a certain number of people on here who will whine about just about anything VS does. My guess is that if they decided to air the WJC games, some people would complain because they didn't broadcast them in HD or something.

And the fact that you chose to avoid my question is irrelevant, because it was rhetorical. It's obvious that - for hockey fans - putting the announcements on television is better than not putting the announcements on television.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I saw it online a couple weeks back I think it was the Minneapolis paper that said that Okposo and Johnson would be interviewed on versus? Is this accurate? Is the team still being announced on versus? Who are the assistant coaches this year? and is there any official roster out there yet? Thanks

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not arguing that it's bad, I'm arguing that it's irrellivant unless they plan on giving no less than half the coverage it would get in Canada.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's definitely relevant, regardless of whether or not they show other coverage. Small steps are still steps.

If they announce the team and then don't give them the coverage, no one is even going to remember that they did it.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
If they announce the team and then don't give them the coverage, no one is even going to remember that they did it.

Of course people will. They haven't even announced the team yet, and people (we) are bickering incessantly about it.

You must have a low opinion of people if you think they can't remember anything they see on television.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Of course people will. They haven't even announced the team yet, and people (we) are bickering incessantly about it.

You must have a low opinion of people if you think they can't remember anything they see on television.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it does it make a sound?

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I saw that last night. Thought it was pretty pointless. Nobody outside of Canada really cares about the WJC. Although getting the audience familiar with some upcoming stars is good (not going to happen from being mentioned one night on Versus) it's pretty stupid to try and hype up something Americans can't even watch.

I guess Versus was trying to get us to buy tickets to Sweden? Cause otherwise I don't see why they would hype it up or name the roster at all.

They did the same thing last year too. During intermissions they would update us on the WJC with scores and stuff and I'll I could think was.. "...and I care why? I'm in America. It's impossible for me to follow or watch this tournament."

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I saw that last night. Thought it was pretty pointless. Nobody outside of Canada really cares about the WJC. Although getting the audience familiar with some upcoming stars is good (not going to happen from being mentioned one night on Versus) it's pretty stupid to try and hype up something Americans can't even watch.

I guess Versus was trying to get us to buy tickets to Sweden? Cause otherwise I don't see why they would hype it up or name the roster at all.

They did the same thing last year too. During intermissions they would update us on the WJC with scores and stuff and I'll I could think was.. "...and I care why? I'm in America. It's impossible for me to follow or watch this tournament."
I care. I'm in Colorado. Colorado is in America. People I know care. They're in Colorado.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Nobody outside of Canada really cares about the WJC.

Last I checked, I'm outside of Canada and I care about the WJC.

Can someone explain why there are so many people in this thread who want to tell me what I'd like to care about? :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad