VERSUS Loses Out On MLB LCS Deal

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
TBS won the deal, they will receive the League Championship Series that FOX doesn't get every year 'till 2013.

NOW, I think we may need to search for a new network. NOT ESPN, but a new network definitely.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
While not a Sportschannel America disaster (Versus is in many more homes than SC America was) this tv is now officially a disaster.

I agree don't go back to ESPN. I think USA might be a possibility. It's owned by NBC and it looks like NBC is going to re-up with the NHL in order to better promote the 2010 olympics so they might sign a deal for USA in order to do the same.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
But regular season MLB games probably won't do much to increase the number of homes Versus is in. There will already be games on ESPN on Mondays, Wednesdays, Sunday nights, plus Sunday afternoon games on TBs and Saturday games on FOX. If VS. got a regular season package the games probably wouldn't be exclusive either meaning they would be blacked out in the local markets of the teams playing. Thus there would be little to no demand for a cable company to put VS on basic cable. It would be a lot like the NFL network currently where there isn't a demand for those games on their because the amount already available and the fact that if a local team is on the the NFL simulcast it on a local channel in that market.

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
Agreed, I think I new channel is the way to go. Thanks to Vs/OLN for giving the NHL a shot, now lets get it on a bigger, more marketable tv network.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
TBS won the deal, they will receive the League Championship Series that FOX doesn't get every year 'till 2013.

NOW, I think we may need to search for a new network. NOT ESPN, but a new network definitely.

NHL On TBS has a good ring to it since TBS is being aggresive in getting MLB package NHL should consider giving TBS a shot.

Victory Ali*

TBS is a bible belt southern station which used to run WCW at night and re-runs of Mama's Family in the morning. I really can't see the NHL being much of a fit on that network.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I beieve TBS showed some interest in the NHL the last time around. As for TBS being a bible belt station it's has pretty muched changed from being a local Atlanta station that was a superstation to more of a national cable station in itself. That said I think USA would be a better fit.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I beieve TBS showed some interest in the NHL the last time around. As for TBS being a bible belt station it's has pretty muched changed from being a local Atlanta station that was a superstation to more of a national cable station in itself. That said I think USA would be a better fit.

Problem with USA is that they are locked up covering WWE, Golf, Tennis, Olympics, and the Dog Show USA has no more space or money to spend on the NHL

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bettman claims that he views the relationship with Versus as a long-term one.

As long as VS treats the NHL like it's prized poessession, Bettman is satisfied.

VS doesn't give anyone a reason to come to it - at least not anyone that matters - not yet. This is a crucial blow though if they can't pick up baseball.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
screw vs. that channel just sucks in all ways. Their website is so second rate. Comcast should stick to providing cable.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
They aired a program called Holy **** after the game. No kidding.

C'mon, Spike TV seems like an uptick from Versus at this point, never mind cable's heavyweights (USA, FX, TNT)

watson

Jul 23, 2006
Earth

C'mon, Spike TV seems like an uptick from Versus at this point, never mind cable's heavyweights (USA, FX, TNT)

spike tv would be a unique fit and allow cross promotion with viacom and MTV

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

They also aired it before the game. I watched the post game on the off chance that Bill Clement might say what was coming up next. He didn't however to my sadness.

As for Spike outside of USa that has the NBC ties I think that is the second best option. Like others have said you can try to get cross promotion on MTV and other Viacom channels that have a younger audience.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Remind me, did OLN (in 2005) give the NHL some sort of guarantee that they would have some other sport on their network as well?

They had in the contract that if they signed another Major league sport that they would give the NHL money.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good thing VS didn't get the MLB playoffs, many people don't even get VS and many more people who get it don't even realize that it exists. All that needs to happen now is the NHL needs a real TV deal.

I think the MLB playoffs would have made VS a shoo-in for all cable services. That was the idea.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
To post this again, for the 87,642nd time...

I think the NHL should stay with Versus. BUT I do think they need to find a second cable network. Bettman came from the NBA, he needs to think like the NBA. Basketball helped build TNT into the network it currently is. While building a brand a sports network, Versus could be "our TNT", having games on a couple nights a week, one double-header, and one 'game of the week' night.

The NHL could then also go with another network (ESPN, USA, F/X, Spike) for at least one other night of the week (Sunday nights?).

Add in NBC and live games on the NHL Network (when it goes Stateside), you'd have up to 5 nights a week of nationally televised games. I think that would fit the bill for all of us who can't afford the time/money for Center Ice.

Two cable networks also makes televising EVERY playoff game possible, w/o having to pay for Center Ice as well.

Just one man's opinion. :)

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
To post this again, for the 87,642nd time...

I think the NHL should stay with Versus. BUT I do think they need to find a second cable network. Bettman came from the NBA, he needs to think like the NBA. Basketball helped build TNT into the network it currently is. While building a brand a sports network, Versus could be "our TNT", having games on a couple nights a week, one double-header, and one 'game of the week' night.

The NHL could then also go with another network (ESPN, USA, F/X, Spike) for at least one other night of the week (Sunday nights?).

Add in NBC and live games on the NHL Network (when it goes Stateside), you'd have up to 5 nights a week of nationally televised games. I think that would fit the bill for all of us who can't afford the time/money for Center Ice.

Two cable networks also makes televising EVERY playoff game possible, w/o having to pay for Center Ice as well.

Just one man's opinion. :)

But do you think that a second (hopefully higher rate) network would accept not having the NHL exclusively?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->