Versus and baisic cable

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
This is something that i brought up in October of 2005 and it is still hurting the NHL in my opinion. Versus is channel 408 in New York, channel 608 in Denver, etc etc. It goes on and on and is constantly mentioned on ESPN as the only thing dragging the "new, exciting" version of the game down. If this channel was on basic cable, the amount of Americans tuning in to a more exciting brand of hockey will substantially increase, especially the casual viewer that won't take the time to find the channel. I don't know why this is not a more hot topic of the NHL television conversation. Not every household has top tier cable like this, or satellite dishes that are necessary to watch one of the most anticipated offensive series in the last two seasons beginning tonight. This is where I would take ESPN "dissing hockey" or whatever a lot of you claim. There is minimal exposure for Americans "national TV network" for the NHL. This is the conference finals and Games 1 and 2 of the cup. It's something that seriously needs to be discussed this off season and pushed for, especially if this series is exactly what the NHL wants in terms of excitement.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is something that i brought up in October of 2005 and it is still hurting the NHL in my opinion. Versus is channel 408 in New York, channel 608 in Denver, etc etc. It goes on and on and is constantly mentioned on ESPN as the only thing dragging the "new, exciting" version of the game down. If this channel was on basic cable, the amount of Americans tuning in to a more exciting brand of hockey will substantially increase, especially the casual viewer that won't take the time to find the channel. I don't know why this is not a more hot topic of the NHL television conversation. Not every household has top tier cable like this, or satellite dishes that are necessary to watch one of the most anticipated offensive series in the last two seasons beginning tonight. This is where I would take ESPN "dissing hockey" or whatever a lot of you claim. There is minimal exposure for Americans "national TV network" for the NHL. This is the conference finals and Games 1 and 2 of the cup. It's something that seriously needs to be discussed this off season and pushed for, especially if this series is exactly what the NHL wants in terms of excitement.

It has been discussed a lot, imho, if the casual hockey fan doesn't get Versus, why do we need ESPN "dissing hockey" how are they dissing hockey if Barry Melrose has his own segment on ESPN, if not equivalent to what Versus & CBC/RDS, ETC have done to date----If the casual fan doesn't take the time to inquire about adding Versus, it's their own fault, imho

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I get Versus on basic cable. As for Versus not being on basic cable in New York blame the Rangers ownership cablevision. They could very easily come to an agreement with Comcast to put Versus on basic cable.

That's the problem with the NHL. It is a joke that one of it's owners won't put the leagues cable tv home on their basic cable lineup.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
If this channel was on basic cable, the amount of Americans tuning in to a more exciting brand of hockey will substantially increase, especially the casual viewer that won't take the time to find the channel. I don't know why this is not a more hot topic of the NHL television conversation. Not every household has top tier cable like this, or satellite dishes that are necessary to watch one of the most anticipated offensive series in the last two seasons beginning tonight. This is where I would take ESPN "dissing hockey" or whatever a lot of you claim. There is minimal exposure for Americans "national TV network" for the NHL.

Last week after playing hockey, 6 or 7 of us wanted to go to a bar (in Pasadena, CA) to watch some of that night's playoff game. But none of the bars on Colorado Blvd have VS, so we all went home.

ALL of the bars have ESPN.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I get Versus on basic cable. As for Versus not being on basic cable in New York blame the Rangers ownership cablevision. They could very easily come to an agreement with Comcast to put Versus on basic cable.

That's the problem with the NHL. It is a joke that one of it's owners won't put the leagues cable tv home on their basic cable lineup.

Unfortunately it's not only in the NY area where this happens.
Unless you have Comcast for cable, you more than likely don't have Versus on basic cable. Also probably 90% of bars only have basic cable, not digital.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I'm willing to bet most sports bars have Direct TV if not they wouldn't be able to get the Sunday Ticket Package which is a big draw for a Sports Bar because the NFL is so popular. If they get directv they probably get Versus as that comes with the standard Directv package.

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
I'm willing to bet most sports bars have Direct TV if not they wouldn't be able to get the Sunday Ticket Package which is a big draw for a Sports Bar because the NFL is so popular. If they get directv they probably get Versus as that comes with the standard Directv package.

This is a true statement. And those bars just don't want to find Versus on their dial. They will stick to ESPN, NFL Network, and Fox Sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad