Vermette vs Bergeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
BlackRedGold said:
You're mistaking physical with cheap.

Running Volchenkov from behind wasn't physical. It was cheap.

It'll be nice to see Volchenkov destroy the little weasel in one of the six matchups the teams will have every year.
I guess you would know all about little weasels and cheap shots if you're watching Varada all year. He is tough, but unfortunately people see him as cheapshot artist and he doesn't do anything to dispell those thoughts either. Bergeron, is a top six forward at 18 yrs old. He can handle the rough going and still be a finesse player, not a bad package. I wish my team had some of those type guys.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
19bruins19 said:
Then they should be worried about Boynton and Lapointe who know how to dish it out as well. ;)

Why? Varada and Volchenkov havent done anything to have your boys gunning for them. yet. ;)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Puckhead said:
I guess you would know all about little weasels and cheap shots if you're watching Varada all year. He is tough, but unfortunately people see him as cheapshot artist and he doesn't do anything to dispell those thoughts either. Bergeron, is a top six forward at 18 yrs old. He can handle the rough going and still be a finesse player, not a bad package. I wish my team had some of those type guys.

I'd actually like to see how tough Varada would be in a fight but unfortunately he's too good at turtleing to actually try another fighting style. :joker: I totally agree what a cheap little weasel. God i'd hate him if he wasnt a sen.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Bruins4Ever said:
Bergeron will be the captain of Boston if/when Thornton leaves. He's a top 6 forward at 18, so Bergeron for me, but Vermette is gonna be a good one, for sure. :handclap:

Nah, he probably won't. The reason being Thornton will be there until he's over 30 years old, at which point a veteran will likely be handed the captaincy. Bergeron might not even be there at that point, so you can't really speculate.

I think he's a great player and all, but his hits are anything but clean. One of these days he's going to get laid out though. I wonder if Volchenkov remembered :)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Sting004 said:
Nah, he probably won't. The reason being Thornton will be there until he's over 30 years old, at which point a veteran will likely be handed the captaincy. Bergeron might not even be there at that point, so you can't really speculate.

I think he's a great player and all, but his hits are anything but clean. One of these days he's going to get laid out though. I wonder if Volchenkov remembered :)

What?!? So if Thornton can be there until 30, it's not possible for Bergeron to be?

Vic Rattlehead*

Legionnaire said:
What?!? So if Thornton can be there until 30, it's not possible for Bergeron to be?
For some people logic doesn not exist. :joker:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Legionnaire said:

I didn't say that, did I? :)

What I said was in 6 years there's a good chance he could be traded, his leadership might not be what they want, his play could get worse (or much better), etc etc. A lot happens in 6 years :)

Vic Rattlehead*

Sting004 said:
I didn't say that, did I? :)

What I said was in 6 years there's a good chance he could be traded, his leadership might not be what they want, his play could get worse (or much better), etc etc. A lot happens in 6 years :)
True. If Thornton were ever to leave(which I don't see for a long time) Boynton will have the captaincy.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Very different players.

Vermette has blazing speed and will be a top defensive forward for years. He is already one of Ottawa's best penalty killers. He is a very determined player as well. Has decent offensive upside, and will become a regular 20 goal scorer.

Bergeron is a physical sparkplug. I'm not sure how his defense is. I don't think his offensive upside is as high as Vermette's.

I pick Vermette, but admit I haven't watched Bergeron enough to have a proper opinion of his upside.

The ONLY reason Volchenkov was hurt by Bergeron is his shoulder rammed directly into the stupid ledge separating the boards and glass, tearing the labrum. The hit wasn't all that hard. It was a fluke play.

Bergeron's knee on knee hit on Varada was cheap. However, it was no cheaper than some of the hits Varada dishes out. I would practically guarantee that at some point Varada gets his revenge and injures Bergeron with a cheap hit, than skates off with that smile/smirk on his face. Boy would I hate Vaclav if he wasn't a Senator !

Chris

Oct 24, 2004
Bergeron. While Vermette has a goot lot of upside, Bergeron just seems to be more of 'the package', no?

Vic Rattlehead*

zenator1 said:
Very different players.

Vermette has blazing speed and will be a top defensive forward for years. He is already one of Ottawa's best penalty killers. He is a very determined player as well. Has decent offensive upside, and will become a regular 20 goal scorer.

Bergeron is a physical sparkplug. I'm not sure how his defense is. I don't think his offensive upside is as high as Vermette's.

I pick Vermette, but admit I haven't watched Bergeron enough to have a proper opinion of his upside.

The ONLY reason Volchenkov was hurt by Bergeron is his shoulder rammed directly into the stupid ledge separating the boards and glass, tearing the labrum. The hit wasn't all that hard. It was a fluke play.

Bergeron's knee on knee hit on Varada was cheap. However, it was no cheaper than some of the hits Varada dishes out. I would practically guarantee that at some point Varada gets his revenge and injures Bergeron with a cheap hit, than skates off with that smile/smirk on his face. Boy would I hate Vaclav if he wasn't a Senator !
If Varada would do that to Bergeron, then he would have to watch out for Martin Lapointe :D

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
If Varada would do that to Bergeron, then he would have to watch out for Martin Lapointe :D

Yeah, yeah....every team has their version of "if he dished out a cheap shot he'd better watch out for ________." Then Lapointe would have to watch out for Chara.

Getting back to the topic at hand..... I think both players are solid players and both would appear to be players headed for productive careers. I don't know enough about Bergeron to give a fair comparison, but my impression is that Bergeron has more offensive potential while Vermette is more of a two way player. They seem to be two different types of players and Ottawa has enough of the offensive types already. If Bergeron is the type of player who can play physically and produce offensively maybe Ottawa could use him more than a player such as Vermette, or dare I say, one of the three RW's now who provide offense but little physical play when it counts.

Both guys are french, so that cancels out management's desire to have that francophone/bilingual player with some star attraction. With Lalime gone that leaves just Vermette to carry the fleur de lis.

Last edited:

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Varada's a loony tune. He likes to get guys after him, and draw penalties. He has no fear. I dispised this player before he joined the Sens. No scruples at all.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
ax²+bx+c said:
Vermette for me! Smarter player, smarter guy.

and you know that vermette is smarter because...?

i haven't seen vermette nearly as much as bergeron obviously, but i'd say that a good reason why bergeron was able to play in the NHL at 18 was his hockey sense.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Bileur said:
Why? Varada and Volchenkov havent done anything to have your boys gunning for them. yet. ;)

and neither has Bergeron....if they cant take the hits, dont play.

and there was noting cheap about the Volchenkov hit, just becuase he went into the boards awkwardly does not make it a cheap hit.

YellHockey*

bb_fan said:

and there was noting cheap about the Volchenkov hit, just becuase he went into the boards awkwardly does not make it a cheap hit.

Ramming your shoulder into your opponent's number while he's facing the boards from a few feet away is cheap. Even Don Cherry knows that. If you don't know that, I suspect you've never played the game.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
bb_fan said:

The hit on Varada was clean too I suppose? Read RedBlackGold's post, it sums up my opinion on the Volchenkov hit too.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
bb_fan said:

So you're saying that the average NHLer isn't hurt when they're hit from behind into the boards? Or that injuries don't occur nearly 90% of the time when there's a knee on knee hit? Give me a break.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Sting004 said:
So you're saying that the average NHLer isn't hurt when they're hit from behind into the boards? Or that injuries don't occur nearly 90% of the time when there's a knee on knee hit? Give me a break.

exactly, a knee on knee hit, witch was not initiated by Bergeron, both he and Varada ran straight into each other, how is that a cheap 'play' by Bergeron?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
Ramming your shoulder into your opponent's number while he's facing the boards from a few feet away is cheap. Even Don Cherry knows that. If you don't know that, I suspect you've never played the game.

so i guess everyone around here who has never played competative hockey has a worthless opinion now?

Show me the replay of the hit on Volchenkov, but from from what i remeber it wasn't a hit from behind.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
bb_fan said:
exactly, a knee on knee hit, witch was not initiated by Bergeron, both he and Varada ran straight into each other, how is that a cheap 'play' by Bergeron?

Do you remember/did you see the hit?

It was pretty far back but I think Varada had the puck. Correct me if i'm wrong but if Vaclav had the puck why would he go out of his way to hit someone with a knee on knee, instead of, say, trying to move the puck into the offensive zone?

Also to put it in context, Varada had scored a goal into an empty net and laughed about it (boston goalie slipped and fell), Bruins players may have taken offense at that (despite the fact that it was freaking hilarious).

YellHockey*

bb_fan said:
so i guess everyone around here who has never played competative hockey has a worthless opinion now?

Where did you get the 'competative' part from?

Anyone who's ever played any kind of hockey knows that the last thing you want is shoved face first into the boards.

Show me the replay of the hit on Volchenkov, but from from what i remeber it wasn't a hit from behind.

Go find it yourself and prove it wasn't a cheap shot.

From from what you remember? I've seen the hit numerous times. I saw it when it originally happened and it was as blatant a cheap shot as you can get.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Bileur said:
Do you remember/did you see the hit?

It was pretty far back but I think Varada had the puck. Correct me if i'm wrong but if Vaclav had the puck why would he go out of his way to hit someone with a knee on knee, instead of, say, trying to move the puck into the offensive zone?

Also to put it in context, Varada had scored a goal into an empty net and laughed about it (boston goalie slipped and fell), Bruins players may have taken offense at that (despite the fact that it was freaking hilarious).

wow, and i thought Montreal fans were bad were comparing Thornton to the next coming of Lucifer,,,,,yes i remember the hit, and i think the puck was in the area, hence both players going for it, or something to that effect, i dont claim to have a photographic memory of the incident, but from what i do remember, it wasnt a cheap hit by either guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad