Speculation: Verizon Center to be renamed Capital One ARENA (official: name changed already)

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

the verizon center in washington dc, home to the washington wizard nba team and washington capitals nhl team, is likely to be renamed the capital one center.
Verizon’s naming rights expire ends next year, and capital one just registered a bunch of domain names that suggest it will be taking over naming rights when that happens.

A full list of the domain names is below, but note the dc related domains such as capital1arenadc.com and capital1centerdc.com.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So we get the Cap Cent(er) back, I guess. I'm ok with that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Getting back to our roots!

"Capital" One works better than Verizon, at least at first glance it appears we didn't sell out. I will likely just start dropping the "one" and refer to it as Capital Center. Newer fans may not know our original arena was named that.

Many years ago, non Verizon phones didn't work at games. I am glad to see them go.

The original Capital Centre, in black and white for effect
capital_centre.jpg

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
That was one ugly arena, but man I loved it. A lot of hockey firsts for me in that building. If the arena/ballpark/stadium isn't named after a person or town or for the team (i.e. Just a sponsor) then I don't care what it's named, it means nothing. The cap center was special, RFK, memorial stadium. But those days are gone.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have a lot of great memories from there... Cap centre flash back.

I think it was section 101 behind the goal, with aluminum flooring, and all the country boys in their work boots (IIRC some wrapped in duct tape to hold the sole on) would get to stomping proper to make noise. I finally sat down there one time to get in on the action in lame running shoes. Good folks down there.

I saw pro wrestling there, tractor pulls, and countless great concerts. Lots of crazy tailgating memories....

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
LOL. Coc. Great. Capital One Arena sounds better. Nostalgia>Coc I guess.

I don't miss the days of MCI Arena. MCI used to slam me and my families long distance service all the time. Crooks.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We traded MCI's long distance for Verizon's ****** ISP policies for Capital One's credit card gouging. Gotta love corporate sponsors.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe not?:
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved Capital One's proposal to redevelop its corporate headquarters in Tysons Tuesday in a "plan to remake Tysons into the county's urban downtown."

Included in the redevelopment proposal is a state-of-the-art, mixed use events center, called the Capital One Center.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
? ?
Anyone know what the new $ amount is that Capital One is paying for naming rights vs Verizon's old contract?

Any increase is appreciated as it goes to upping the cap. :yo:

Arena naming rights are not Hockey Related Revenue, and thus do not figure into the salary cap.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Slightly related but I recall Ted mentioning on the interwebz that they are finally changing out those purple seats in the next year or so.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
How fitting since Capital One pretty much owns me...Three credit cards, checking account, saving account, two car loans and my mortgage....

Now my hockey team! :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Also good to see they avoided potential satire with the "Capital One Center" and made it "Capital One Arena" instead

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ne-arena-starting-now/?utm_term=.a67cfa295687

Monumental will also announce a separate $40 investment in the privately owned arena, with the money going toward projects such as Monumental360 — a data-based effort to analyze fan preferences — and a new point-of sale system, meant to create more efficient lines. That system will likely offer discounts to Capital One cardholders.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A hype video for an arena name change?

Truly capitalism knows no bounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad