Movies: Venom Movie May Be Filming Fall 2017; Horror Sci-Fi

Sep 19, 2008
This movie is one of the funniest I've seen in 2018-19 (saw it yesterday on the plane ride home)

Venom "p***y" line when Brock refuses to jump down the tower is hilarious :laugh:

I don't see the reason for the bad reviews. Hardy did a fantastic job as Venom. The movie is about Venom.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This movie is one of the funniest I've seen in 2018-19 (saw it yesterday on the plane ride home)

Venom "*****" line when Brock refuses to jump down the tower is hilarious :laugh:

I don't see the reason for the bad reviews. Hardy did a fantastic job as Venom. The movie is about Venom.
I don't know. Just saw it last night on a small screen. I wished the movie had lived up to its premise because I think the idea of half monster, half good guy has such great potential for fun. And the was fun sometimes, but never close to being enough. There were long stretches where there didn't seem to be much of anything going on, especially early on in the movie which took forever to launch. Then there was all the generic stuff--things blowing up just to have things blow up or a chase scene the likes of which we have seen many times before. Venom should have been fresh and funny ala The Guardians of the Galaxy, but instead it just seemed stale and ordinary to me with a few good laughs scattered about here and there.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't know. Just saw it last night on a small screen. I wished the movie had lived up to its premise because I think the idea of half monster, half good guy has such great potential for fun. And the was fun sometimes, but never close to being enough. There were long stretches where there didn't seem to be much of anything going on, especially early on in the movie which took forever to launch. Then there was all the generic stuff--things blowing up just to have things blow up or a chase scene the likes of which we have seen many times before. Venom should have been fresh and funny ala The Guardians of the Galaxy, but instead it just seemed stale and ordinary to me with a few good laughs scattered about here and there.

I was just entertained by Hardy talking to himself. When he bonds with the Symbiote that is where the real fun begins. Him in the Chinese restaurant, him in his own apartment trying to eat out of the trash, him at the market getting tater tots :laugh:

Reactions: kihei

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I also watched it this week and went in with low expectations. Made me enjoy it for just being what it is, but obviously this movie could have been way better.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
When watching Marvel, DC or Star Wars, you have to remember to turn off the critic switch in your brain. None of these will usually win Oscars (except in tech or FX categories), they just win what is most important for producers and distributors, all the money. Venom was ok and I'll watch the sequel with Woody Harrelson. (But I would agree it was a slow starter, don't know why they thought they needed so much character dev. and defining in the first half, second half was better)

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm with the critics for once.

I also really don't get people saying Hardy was the bright spot. He's supposedly a top investigative reporter but he acts like a mentally challenged drug addict. The action scenes weren't enough to save it from its own stupidity.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

You can't do a Guardians of the Galaxy/Deadpool treatment of Venom because your end game will be Carnage. You can't go from a GOTG type first movie and then introduce Carnage movie two or three. The tone is too different.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw this on the plane and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

My only real issue with the film was how cavalier Michelle Williams was with respect to her boyfriend being the subject of an alien parasite.

She seemed remarkably cool with the whole thing very quickly.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I'm with the critics for once.

I also really don't get people saying Hardy was the bright spot. He's supposedly a top investigative reporter but he acts like a mentally challenged drug addict. The action scenes weren't enough to save it from its own stupidity.

Hardy was acting in a completely separate (and much better) movie from everyone else. All of the generic stuff involving the investigation, his relationship with Michelle Williams, etc., was sloppily put together and uninteresting. But the parts with him going crazy and his interactions with Venom were where the movie shined. Hopefully we get a lot more of that in the sequel.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I saw this on the plane and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

My only real issue with the film was how cavalier Michelle Williams was with respect to her boyfriend being the subject of an alien parasite.

She seemed remarkably cool with the whole thing very quickly.

Well she did admit that she did this movie for the money and more or less mailed it in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad