Movies: Venom Movie May Be Filming Fall 2017; Horror Sci-Fi

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The first act is terribly boring with weird tonal shifts. Once Venom arrives the movie becomes really fun but not a great movie.

It's more of a fun movie then a good movie. Certainly watchable.

Imo, I wouldn’t call the first act terribly boring, but it definitely starts slower. I usually kind of expect that with first movies, though. But you’re 100% right with how it becomes fun once Venom arrives, and with your comment of how it’s a “fun but not great movie.” Sums it up right. Definitely worth going to in my opinion though, and I hope they continue with a sequel!

Karnage

Mar 9, 2004
Haven’t watched this yet. Not sure if I want to. Just upset that if you paid attention to the filming of this movie you can pretty much guess what he after credit scene would be.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
The movie made zero sense

If someone can explain to me why Carlton Drake wanted the symbiote that be great

Besides the oh so we can visit their planet and I ask again why lol

Dumbest movie I’ve seen this year

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I just saw this for free because all my friends were in the theater and the ticket booth closed before I got there. It was enjoyable but not great. Glad I didn’t spend money on it.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Saw it last night. It was good, but not great. Story line was ok, but lacking. Hardy was great though. My only real gripe with the movie was aside from Hardy, who the hell was the rest of the cast?

Reactions: irunthepeg

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Saw it last night. It was good, but not great. Story line was ok, but lacking. Hardy was great though. My only real gripe with the movie was aside from Hardy, who the hell was the rest of the cast?
I haven't seen the movie yet - but Ruz Ahmed is a great actor and Michelle Williams is very well known.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
So, went and saw this on the weekend... It wasn't at all as bad as I expected. Tom Hardy's accent bothered me less than I thought it would based on the trailers. The interactions between Eddie Brock and Venom were pretty good for the most part. I would have liked it if it were a bit more gritty and dark (TM), rather than trying to add so much comic relief that I don't think was needed. The villain was pretty forgettable (which is a big factor for me), but after credits scene basically locked me in to seeing the sequel. I think if the villain was better/more complex and they found more actual screentime for Venom, this could have been a pretty decent flick.

Another thing that I took issue with was (spoiler):
My main gripe would have to be how quickly the Venom symbiote goes from "here to eat your population, you are vessel" to "I like you Eddie, we are partners" for no apparent reason. It didn't bother me as much while watching, but something that stood out as a bit of a what-the-hell when I was reflecting on the movie some more.

Personally I would put it at the high end of the middle of the pack for my ranking of Marvel movies. Probably just above Ant-man and Black Panther. My rankings below:

I'll give it a shot:

18. Doctor Strange
17. Thor: The Dark World
16. Iron Man 3
15. The Incredible Hulk
14. Iron Man 2

Bottom tier, didn't really care for any of these. Likely won't watch again.

13. Black Panther (Don't get the hype with this one, saw it this weekend and was a really average movie)
12. Ant-Man
<---------------------VENOM goes here, I think
11. Thor
10. Iron Man

Decent movies, but none of them really shone for me.

9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2

Great tier, watched these a few times.

6. Spider-Man: Homecoming
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
3. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
1. Captain America: Civil War

Best of the bunch. I'm a really big fan of any of the movies with Cap, as I think he is just the best character they've made. I probably have Spiderman higher than most, but I really enjoyed that movie and Keaton was the best villain we've seen in the MCU in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
So, went and saw this on the weekend... It wasn't at all as bad as I expected. Tom Hardy's accent bothered me less than I thought it would based on the trailers. The interactions between Eddie Brock and Venom were pretty good for the most part. I would have liked it if it were a bit more gritty and dark (TM), rather than trying to add so much comic relief that I don't think was needed. The villain was pretty forgettable (which is a big factor for me), but after credits scene basically locked me in to seeing the sequel. I think if the villain was better/more complex and they found more actual screentime for Venom, this could have been a pretty decent flick.

My main gripe would have to be how quickly the Venom symbiote goes from "here to eat your population, you are vessel" to "I like you Eddie, we are partners" for no apparent reason. It didn't bother me as much while watching, but something that stood out as a bit of a what-the-hell when I was reflecting on the movie some more.

Personally I would put it at the high end of the middle of the pack for my ranking of Marvel movies. Probably just above Ant-man and Black Panther. My rankings below:

Surprised you put Doctor Strange that low on your list. It's a good movie.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Surprised you put Doctor Strange that low on your list. It's a good movie.
I think if I revised it, I would move it up 4-5 spots. Certainly above some of the Thor and Iron Man sequels. It wasn't one of my favourites though.

Dr. Strange was just a meh movie for me. The bad guy (Mads Mikkelson) had almost no screen time, and then when they finally face off, he is quickly shoved into the background as a secondary villain. The story was okay, although I think Cumberbatch was a good fit for the role. For me, it was a movie that after I watched I thought - okay pretty good, but I'll likely never have the desire to watch it a second time. The story wasn't overly gripping, the villain was vanilla, and I don't feel like any of the actors really killed their roles. To me, it was just a really meh film for one that is somewhat of a major character.

LordCanuck

May 14, 2017

ITS NOT AN MCU movie though.

Reactions: Jussi

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Where did he say it was?
It's a Marvel movie. Do you consider Homecoming MCU, a great movie? Or the shitty Thor ones? or the even shittier Hulk movies?

Can't just discard bad movies as one offs "It's not part of the Universe!".

Reactions: HFBCommenter

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Where did he say it was?
It's a Marvel movie. Do you consider Homecoming MCU, a great movie? Or the ****ty Thor ones? or the even ****tier Hulk movies?

Can't just discard bad movies as one offs "It's not part of the Universe!".
Homecoming was fine, the first Thor is ok but the second did more that underwhelm. Hulk movieS? There was only one and it had its moments but was not produced by Marvel even if now considered cannon in the MCU.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Wasn't at all impressed with Hardy's performance

He's supposed to be a top investigative reporter, but sounded like someone with a learning disability and middle school education

Last edited:
Reactions: Oscar Acosta

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just watched. went in expecting to hate it. you know, I really didnt mind it. was fun. just wish Marvel did it and linked it to Spidey

Reactions: irunthepeg

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Movie was a lot of fun for me. Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor. Not sure why his accent bothered you ?
I thought he was the reason this movie was the difference between average and pretty good.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Movie was a lot of fun for me. Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor. Not sure why his accent bothered you ?
I thought he was the reason this movie was the difference between average and pretty good.
It didn't both me when I actually saw the movies. However, when I watched the trailers it sounded like he had a learning disability and I thought it was going to drive me crazy. His inflection when speaking is all over the place. However, during the movie I thought it was fine and had no issues.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What hot mess that final third was. It really seemed like a lot was missing. And I agree that Eddie Brock never gave an impression of being a star reporter. Hardy's acting seemed to be inconsistent when it came to the character. 6½ or 7- out of 10.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This wasn't Marvel Studios. It's Marvel licensed by Sony.
Yes an no as Marvel did have some creative suggestions etc from what I understand. Rumor is that they are about to sign a new sharing agreement for the Spider-verse characters which would include Tom Holland's Spider-Man appearing in a future Venom movie etc. Holland also made a boo-boo again letting it slip that Spider-Man would have a third solo movie during an interview. Before he mentioned it the agreement only covered Far From Home and not a third one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->