Movies: Venom: Let There Be Carnage

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The search for a director is on and a name that has popped up is Andy Serkis.

With the Mouse Guard movie officially cancelled, it appears one of that film’s would-be stars, Andy Serkis, has some room in his schedule. And since the motion-capture legend also happens to be a director (as well as a comic-book movie veteran), it’s exciting to hear that Sony has its eye on him as it ramps up its search for someone to helm the anticipated sequel to last year’s Venom.
It must be stressed, per the Hollywood Reporter’s scoop, that Sony is meeting with several potential directors—the first film’s director, Ruben Fleischer, has Zombieland 2 coming in October—and Serkis is just one of the contenders. Also, Serkis is not up for an acting role alongside returning star Tom Hardy; this would strictly be for the directing gig. As THR points out, the varied work he’s done to date makes him a solid match for Venom 2, “which will be effects heavy and mix DG and performance capture technology.”

Update: Deadline reports that in addition to Serkis, the “shortlist” of Venom 2directors currenly also includes Travis Knight (Bumblebee) and Rupert Wyatt(Rise of the Planet of the Apes), and adds “there is no clear frontrunner at this moment.”

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-venom-2-has-andy-serkis-on-its-list-of-potentia-1836740582

Reactions: irunthepeg

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Any of the directors mentioned would be great. It would be interesting to see Serkis take on a comic book movie.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Tom Hardy showing his director preference?

kgg9zqlomvysyapzx4by.jpg

Reactions: NyQuil

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You're kidding?!?

I gave up on Transformers years ago.

Worth seeing?
Yes. It's the only good Transformers movie. It's not without its flaws but it successfully evokes the spirit of the animated series in a way that the Bay films couldn't.

Also worth noting that Knight effectively utilized Hailee Steinfeld to imbue the movie with a ton of charm. And not to detract from Steinfeld who is a good actress, but I get the sense that if Knight could do that, he could really take advantage of Tom Hardy's talent.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes. It's the only good Transformers movie. It's not without its flaws but it successfully evokes the spirit of the animated series in a way that the Bay films couldn't.

Also worth noting that Knight effectively utilized Hailee Steinfeld to imbue the movie with a ton of charm. And not to detract from Steinfeld who is a good actress, but I get the sense that if Knight could do that, he could really take advantage of Tom Hardy's talent.

Maybe I'm in the minority but the first 2 were pretty good.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The first one is passable at best.

I'd rate it as the clear best of Bay's films and above average/decent/good. Second one was a mess, largely due to the writers strike in Hollywood at the time, 3rd was passable. The rest are shite.

Bumblebee could be viewed as a reboot movie and there have been conflicting reports as to whether it actually is.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd rate it as the clear best of Bay's films and above average/decent/good. Second one was a mess, largely due to the writers strike in Hollywood at the time, 3rd was passable. The rest are ****e.

Bumblebee could be viewed as a reboot movie and there have been conflicting reports as to whether it actually is.
Well stacking Transformers 1 to Bumblebee it's not particularly close. T1 is a passable origin story that is many times a bloated CGI mess. Imo, saying it's the best of the Bay films isn't exactly high praise IMO.

Reactions: JBeast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Venom 1
Mad Max
This Means War
Star Trek Nemesis

And now he's officially sold out?
That's true, altho I did not see Mad max as a sell out.

Venom 1 was AWFUL and I hoped he'd walk away from that garbage in the future.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

I still laugh at that interview he gave where he said that all his favourite parts of that movie were all in the 40 minutes they cut.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I'm willing to give Serkis the benefit of the doubt. Hardy is no stranger to doing well in mediocre to bad movies though. Switch Hardy out for a different actor in Legend and it would be an absolute steaming turn.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm willing to give Serkis the benefit of the doubt. Hardy is no stranger to doing well in mediocre to bad movies though. Switch Hardy out for a different actor in Legend and it would be an absolute steaming turn.
But at least Legend tried. Venom was just pure garbage - even by Superhero standards.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Tom Hardy is my favorite actor. The way I look at his choice of certain roles like Venom is that he wants that money from time to time. And I don't blame him. But the number of other offbeat roles he takes that he makes is what does it for me. His role in Peaky Blinders is sublime. I'm doing a rewatch of Taboo and he is amazing. These roles probably pay peanuts compared to his big time Hollywood flicks.

I hope my favorite actors get paid lots of money and I don't very much care that it isn't from the tv show or movies I consume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->