Vegas' worst pick and best pick?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Does anyone have any shred of justification for why they took some guy I've literally never heard of over Mrazek?

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Worst: Sbisa
I can understand the Brickley and Nosek picks because they do need players for their farm, in saying that though there was better players available from both teams.

Best: Fluery, Methot and picking up Karlsson, Stoner and Haula for prime assets was nice

Edit: Took out Thorburn just remembered they moved up 11 spots and got a third from pick.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Does anyone have any shred of justification for why they took some guy I've literally never heard of over Mrazek?

They have their 'face' and #1 goalie in Fleury.
Mrazek makes #1 money. IF there's no team out there willing to trade for him; then you're wasting money. I sincerely doubt that this owner wants to spend a lot of money on the team for the first few years as they blow.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Many good picks, here are the bad ones.

Brickley, Thorburn, Bellemare, Sbisa, Nosek

I don't think Bellemare is a bad decision. Their options were basically Matt Read, Michael Raffl or Dale Weise. Those players are only marginally better than Bellemare. He is a well liked player and will be fine on their 4th line. I personally would have selected Raffl if I were Vegas, but by no means was Bellemare a terrible decision.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I don't think Bellemare is a bad decision. Their options were basically Matt Read, Michael Raffl or Dale Weise. Those players are only marginally better than Bellemare. He is a well liked player and will be fine on their 4th line. I personally would have selected Raffl if I were Vegas, but by no means was Bellemare a terrible decision.

Raffl>>Bellemare

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Unreal how they took sbisa without a trade forcing them. Incredible really

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
None. Especially when you could likely flip him to Winnipeg or have him play and win games. Heck, Philly might have bitten oh Mrazek. Same with Dallas.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Best: Marchessault (+ Smith for a 4th, assuming that was part of the same deal, which it probably was), Neal

Worst: Sbisa, Nosek

overall: A few good picks, mostly meh and more head-scratchers than I expected

I still don't understand Theodore + Stoner instead of Manson/Vatanen + 29 other defenders better than Stoner

I'm sure that Anaheim would have traded Vats and bought out Bieksa so that they could protect Manson if they hadn't been able to come to a deal with LV. I do question whether they had to take Stoner in order to get Theodore but maybe they did and Theodore was worth it to them.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
They have their 'face' and #1 goalie in Fleury.
Mrazek makes #1 money. IF there's no team out there willing to trade for him; then you're wasting money. I sincerely doubt that this owner wants to spend a lot of money on the team for the first few years as they blow.

I get not wanting to spend money but couldn't Las Vegas retain and flip him for picks? That way, you're probably at least coming up even money wise since you can underpay the draft picks.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL

He's awful. Good guy, absolutely terrible player

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I guess they value capspace? Although question is could they have picked up Mrazek and dumped him to another team for like a 3rd or 4th rounder(if that was the case then it was a stupid pick by Vegas)

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Anyone saying Sbisa was a bad pick doesn't know jack ****.

In 2016, yes Sbisa sucked ass. Last season he progressed BIG TIME. I was hoping to keep him in Vancouver and that Vegas took Gaunce and his 1 goal in 77 games.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
I think Jonathan Marchessault and Marc Methot was really good picks. Especiually the panther (why didnt Florida protect him?)

Stoner is a pick I dont like. But there are also some "unknown" players that I wish I had more knoweledge about. Any Red Wings and Hurricanes fans that can give som thougts about Nosek and Brickley?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad