Rumor: Vegas radio deal down to 2 candidates

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
Radio deal for Vegas hockey was narrowed to 3 stations.

1. espn 1100
2. fox sports radio
3. KXNT cbs radio

as of today per source ESPN1100 or KXNT CBS radio will get the rights and expect a decision in the next 2 weeks.

Was told CBS radio put together a very good bid.
And ESPN1100 are huge fans of hockey and it seems the Knights are high on them as well.

My bet is on ESPN1100

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The local Fox Sports Radio and ESPN Radio affiliates are part of the same radio group aren't they?

I could have sworn there was one company that owned all the sports radio here in town. If they get it, that would be great for sports radio coverage, I'd guess.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
The local Fox Sports Radio and ESPN Radio affiliates are part of the same radio group aren't they?

I could have sworn there was one company that owned all the sports radio here in town. If they get it, that would be great for sports radio coverage, I'd guess.

Yes sort of. ESPN1100 and FOX Sports are under a minority shared parent company that is distributed under the same license due to 2 previous stations going from music to sports. And the other station going from a radio station that was housed in a hotel talking about local events, hotel events, sports, shows,etc which then went to news-talk.

CBS Sports is a News-talk station that is quite popular.

ESPN1100 is 100% sports that has tons of local content and is the home to UNLV sports and rumored Oakland Raiders. They also have carried LA Kings hockey.

I think ESPN1100 gets it but do not be surprised if CBS gets it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If CBS gets it I hope they move the broadcasts to one of their music stations instead of having it exclusive on KXNT. The idea of having to listen to hockey on AM radio doesn't appeal to me.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
AM or FM, hockey sucks on the radio. With Coyotes streaming on the fox sports app, radio has dropped off almost completely for me. Literally, only when I must be driving during the game do I listen on the radio. Hopefully you guys get an online stream through your local video provider.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
radio is the biggest form of entertainment, news, weather business in the world. In fact most companies are buying up radio stations as its the best business to get into.

Plus. Sports Radio is the best if you know the right hosts. Not as good as of say 2008 when some of the legends broke up in local markets.

Great 30 for 30 espn coming up on it.

Radio is one of the most important deals this franchise will make.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
It's important in that the station chosen will be incentivized to discuss the team often on its other programming, but that's about it.

The actual game broadcasts of hockey suck. There is too much happening on the ice to effectively describe using words in real time.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's important in that the station chosen will be incentivized to discuss the team often on its other programming, but that's about it.

The actual game broadcasts of hockey suck. There is too much happening on the ice to effectively describe using words in real time.

KXNT's probably not a good deal for the team then. :laugh:

It's a political talk station, though I guess it does have news/sports reports.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
was told ESPN 1100 will be the new home for VGK radio!

and also told the tv deal will go 2 ways. With a brand new Nevada Sports Network. Or it will be part of an existing network for 1-2 years along with a local affiliate like NBC or ABC tv (ABC i think it will be) and then start a Nevada Sports Network or be part of a new area network like Root Sports Desert Mountain (combining with another network.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well, so much for that:

http://sinbin.vegas/golden-knights-find-radio-home/

The plan is to have the Knights on Fox Sports Radio, which has signals on AM (1340) and FM (98.9). There will be no pre-empting of the broadcasts, which was a key element for the hockey team. Lotus’ inventory of stations allowed it to guarantee a permanent home for the NHL, and with the FM signal will guarantee reaching all parts of the valley. -Steve Carp, LVRJ

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I can't believe radio is still even a thing at this point.

I drive to and fro Cali/Vegas even though I live in Vegas. So radio's definitely a thing for me. To the point where I pay for Sirius, which always has the game feeds fortunately, to include the feed for your own team.

The NHL channel is awesome too.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I didn't even realize the 98.9 switched from ESPN to Fox Sports. No biggie since they're in the same building.

Edit: 98.9 still is ESPN. They'll just be Fox for the game feeds.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I didn't even realize the 98.9 switched from ESPN to Fox Sports. No biggie since they're in the same building.

For sure. Seems like Lotus wants all that sports market share and getting the hockey broadcasts will likely help that station. Plus, tons of sports cross-promotion possibilities. Essentially every sports nut listening to sports radio will know where to find the Knights game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad