Vegas purchases AHL San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
A couple of things:

1. An AHL Steelheads team would not "have to play in the Central Division" because they are Mountain Time Zone. League scheduling doesn't and has never worked like that. AHL Colorado is Mountain Time Zone, and they've been in the Pacific Division since their inception. NHL Pheonix is moving to the Central Division when Seattle joins, and they are Pacific Time Zone. Time zones are nowhere near the big factor you think they are.
2. The NHL isn't utilizing your 6 division plan, sorry to break it to you. They are big on four divisions, two conferences. They have a plan that works fine right now, and that is to make the AHL the mini-NHL in as many aspects as feasibly possible.
3. Grand Rapids would get over it being in a division with a Pacific or Mountain Time Zone team. No matter what happens, they'll be forced to share their division with a team with a big time difference. They already share it with exclusively Central Time Zone teams, adding one Mountain or Pacific Time Zone team won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
4. Vancouver would only move their team from Utica to Abbotsford in BC. That's been common news for more than five years now, I'm not sure where you're getting that Boise idea. (The (Underwhelming) Pros And (Considerable) Cons Of Moving The Utica Comets To Abbotsford). And Vancouver isn't going to be forced to move there simply so the league can be more balanced.

Under my three-division NHL Western Conference, I have the Northwest Division adding a team in Abbotsford (if not then Victoria) so AHL in Abbotsford is out.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Under my three-division NHL Western Conference, I have the Northwest Division adding a team in Abbotsford (if not then Victoria) so AHL in Abbotsford is out.
And if the AHL went with one-team divisions, they could just play scrimmages throughout the regular season & eliminate all travel until the playoffs rolled around. It'd be just a wee spin on their current Pacific Division scheduling scheme. :hockey:

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL Pheonix is moving to the Central Division when Seattle joins, and they are Pacific Time Zone.

Incorrect. NHL Arizona (no longer Phoenix) and AHL Tucson are in the Arizona Time zone. They do not observe daylight savings time. They are on Mountain STANDARD time year round. During fall/winter their clocks are one hour earlier than Pacific (MST). But in spring/summer, their clocks are the same as PDT.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Incorrect. NHL Arizona (no longer Phoenix) and AHL Tucson are in the Arizona Time zone. They do not observe daylight savings time. They are on Mountain STANDARD time year round. During fall/winter their clocks are one hour earlier than Pacific (MST). But in spring/summer, their clocks are the same as PDT.
Psssssst, @Barclay Donaldson, just tell Lady Stan' that your: "and they are Pacific Time Zone" was clearly referring to Seattle, not to Arizona. Then you're HFB pride will remain intact. ;)

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

The AHL going to 3 divisions would create more scheduling problems than it would solve. Teams being in different time zones don't create many problems at all. Teams have been playing across time zones for decades now. A three division or three conferences is addressing problems that don't exist.

I stand corrected.

Reactions: LadyStanley

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
A couple of things:

1. An AHL Steelheads team would not "have to play in the Central Division" because they are Mountain Time Zone. League scheduling doesn't and has never worked like that. AHL Colorado is Mountain Time Zone, and they've been in the Pacific Division since their inception. NHL Pheonix is moving to the Central Division when Seattle joins, and they are Pacific Time Zone. Time zones are nowhere near the big factor you think they are.
2. The NHL isn't utilizing your 6 division plan, sorry to break it to you. They are big on four divisions, two conferences. They have a plan that works fine right now, and that is to make the AHL the mini-NHL in as many aspects as feasibly possible.
3. Grand Rapids would get over it being in a division with a Pacific or Mountain Time Zone team. No matter what happens, they'll be forced to share their division with a team with a big time difference. They already share it with exclusively Central Time Zone teams, adding one Mountain or Pacific Time Zone team won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
4. Vancouver would only move their team from Utica to Abbotsford in BC. That's been common news for more than five years now, I'm not sure where you're getting that Boise idea. (The (Underwhelming) Pros And (Considerable) Cons Of Moving The Utica Comets To Abbotsford). And Vancouver isn't going to be forced to move there simply so the league can be more balanced.

Grand Rapids already doesn't care...they've been playing teams from the Pacific division for years already...so adding a team from out there to the Central is really no big thing. In fact ALL of the Central teams have been playing those teams for years...would really be no big change for them to be honest.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Grand Rapids already doesn't care...they've been playing teams from the Pacific division for years already...so adding a team from out there to the Central is really no big thing. In fact ALL of the Central teams have been playing those teams for years...would really be no big change for them to be honest.

Tell that to the poster who thinks that the three conferences is a feasible solution for non-existent league problems.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Based on what I've read...telling them anything is fruitless. "I'm right and don't tell me I'm wrong, I know more than you because I'm right"
You're gonna have to be a LOT more specific, if you want any of us to know which of about 10,000 HFB posters you're referring to. Feel free to include me in that list, if it helps make your case. :surrender

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

All the central teams except Chicago......

And, all the teams should be in Milwaukee and called the Admirals.....

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... And, all the teams should be in Milwaukee and called the Admirals.....
Double posting notwithstanding ;) ... The longer our stay-at-home restrictions remain in place, the more legs this HFB-sponsored All Admirals League initiative will have. If they all play in the same arena & use the same locker rooms & sleep in the same hotel, the AAL will thrive ... until the first player or coach or trainer or on-ice official tests positive for COVID-19 ... :(

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
and it stops at quintuple. The HF board was not sending back a posted message....... weird.....

5 for the win huh...gee too bad they don't tell you about this like someone said....that being said...Chicago...yeah well they're special and think they as a front office are immune to the rules. They want to be the tail that wags the dog..you see how that has worked...and the fans keep suffering for it.

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
With my proposed changes to the AHL, the divisions could look like this:

East
Atlantic
Bridgeport
Charlotte
Hartford
Hershey
Lehigh Valley
Providence
Springfield
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

North
Belleville
Binghamton
Cleveland
Grand Rapids
Laval
Rochester
Syracuse
Toronto

West
Central
Chicago
Colorado
Idaho (ex-Utica)
Iowa
Milwaukee
Manitoba
Rockford
Texas

Pacific
Bakersfield
Henderson (ex-San Antonio)
Ontario
Palm Springs
San Diego
San Jose
Stockton
Tucson

Every team in the Eastern Time Zone would be in the Eastern Conference, much like in the NHL. Though Boise is further west than Tuscon, the former, and not the latter, is in the Central Division because during parts of the season, Tucson is effectively on Pacific time and thus two time zones away from the Central time teams. Boise is on Mountain time all year, in contrast. This is the same reason why I think putting the Coyotes in the Central Division of the NHL will not work, and thus I am advocating for the NHL's West to be three divisions (the East would remain with two divisions, primarily to keep Detroit happy).

With an expansion to 36 NHL teams down the road, the AHL could look like this in the future:

East
Atlantic
Bridgeport
Hartford
Laval
Providence
Springfield
Trois-Rivières (Quebec affiliate)

North
Belleville
Binghamton
Grand Rapids
Rochester
Syracuse
Toronto

South
Charlotte
Cleveland
Hershey
Lehigh Valley
Louisville (Indianapolis affiliate)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

West
Central
Chicago
Iowa
Milwaukee
Manitoba
Rockford
Texas

Mountain
Colorado
Henderson
Idaho
Tucson
Utah (Portland affiliate)
Victoria (Abbotsford affiliate)

Pacific
Bakersfield
Ontario
Palm Springs
San Diego
San Jose
Stockton

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
And with my proposed changes it would look like this:

East
Atlantic
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

North
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

West
Central
Milwaukee South
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

Pacific
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

With an expansion to 36 NHL teams down the road in the year 2525, the AHL could look like this in the future:

East
Atlantic
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

North
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

South
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

West
Central
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

Mountain
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

Pacific
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Milwaukee

Reactions: GindyDraws

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@Tommy Hawk: So I think I'm following your logic here, with just two exceptions.
(1) In your 32-team ECHL, is "Milwaukee South" the current Chicago Wolves franchise (in which case you'll be getting a call from Don Levin's lawyers with a cease-and-desist order), or have you purchased the old New Orleans Brass franchise & want the rebrand to retain geographical ties for specialty jersey nights?
(2) In your 36-team ECHL, you might-oughta-wanna double-check you didn't misspell "Milwaukee" in there somewhere, so your petition to own all 36 teams isn't held up in League office review.

Good luck, Commissioner.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Nah, Milwaukee will be the Eastern Conference site.

Milwaukie, Oregon will be the Western Conference site.

At least until the Pacific States consortium (along with the northern Atlantic group) is joined by an Illinois-Wisconsin-Michigan pact and it all gets shuttered for 15 months. Don Levin may be able to fight the NHL, but the governor of Illinois will be another matter.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Nah, Milwaukee will be the Eastern Conference site.

Milwaukie, Oregon will be the Western Conference site.

At least until the Pacific States consortium (along with the northern Atlantic group) is joined by an Illinois-Wisconsin-Michigan pact and it all gets shuttered for 15 months. Don Levin may be able to fight the NHL, but the governor of Illinois will be another matter.

I now look forward to the inevitable fight about the ice plant situation in Milwaukie...

Reactions: JMCx4

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Since the league will be pick up games only and players can play on any team, there will be 3 games a day every day. Also, practices will be all players at one at the Petit Ice Arena. During the winter, they can play pond hockey too. :)

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Since the league will be pick up games only and players can play on any team, there will be 3 games a day every day. Also, practices will be all players at one at the Petit Ice Arena. During the winter, they can play pond hockey too. :)
Awright, that's the point where I've gotta use my Coach's Challenge. With the unprecedented influx of hockey players & hockey ops & front office & "Admirals" fans to the Milwaukee metro area, plus the necessary increases in new businesses & their staffing to support the spike in hockey-related population, the local climate will be inexorably altered & will no longer support the historical trends of sustained sub-freezing lower atmospheric temperatures during the Northern Hemisphere's winter months. Science don't lie. :teach2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->