Vegas Odds (Hawks early SC favorites)

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
I see Vegas is trying to fool people once again this year by placing the Blackhawks as the best odds to win the cup early on.

How many stupid people do you think will fall for this?

The Hawks have no depth, their defense isn't really that improved from last season. Crawford is likely going to regress a bit from last season given that he just had his career year. The Hawks right now as currently constructed are a 1st round exit in the Western Conference playoffs.

I have to applaud Vegas though for trying to take people's money. That is what they do best.

Last edited by a moderator:

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Vegas odds aren't set by any one person or company, they're made by how people bet. Chicago has the best odds probably because the most people, regular people, are betting on Chicago.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Vegas odds aren't set by any one person or company, they're made by how people bet. Chicago has the best odds probably because the most people, regular people, are betting on Chicago.

Precisely.

Vegas isn't trying to "fool" anyone with their odds - they're trying to get their books balanced. For those seriously thinking of betting on sports, this is a key thing to understand.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston

So... how do odds open then? Based on what people bet on last season? Because I don't understand then. I'm referring to how the betting has opened, not how the odds have moved up and down. I know how that works. Explain to me how they determine opening odds.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So... how do odds open then? Based on what people bet on last season? Because I don't understand then. I'm referring to how the betting has opened, not how the odds have moved up and down. I know how that works. Explain to me how they determine opening odds.

By what will make Vegas the most money

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Chicago's still a top tier playoff team. Lack of depth will be their downfall again. We'll see. I could see them landing a top player at the deadline. Toews really needs to have another level like Kane showed of his last year.

Ice Fight

Nov 4, 2015
I do agree though, chicago shouldn't be favorites. Very lacking on depth this year. Very odd choice. Should be Pitts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Hawks have won 3 of the last 7. In terms of Vegas moving money around they probably have way more casual gamblers looking at stats like that rather than deep prospect pools or anything HF readers would be interested in.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

After Toews,Kane,Panarin the Hawks only have Hossa and a bunch of 3rd liners, considering how deep the Pens and Sharks offense was I fail to see how the Hawks win the cup.

Keith.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
no idea how to bet. so if i wanted to bet $100 on the Wild winning the SCF where would i do it? How much money would i make if I won?

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Uh the Blackhawks defence has massively improved thanks to Campbell alone. Let alone Kempny etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00