LeBrun: Vegas May Trade Alec Martinez

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
From talking to other sources around the league, defenceman Alec Martinez, 33, and his $4-million AAV is a possibility to move. Which makes sense not only because he’s UFA in a year but also because if Vegas hopes to sign Pietrangelo it also needs to create a spot on the right side in its top four (Martinez is a left-hand shot who played the right side in the playoffs).
The Knights haven’t shown any interest in signing Martinez to a contract extension so the veteran blueliner probably saw the writing on the wall, which is too bad because he’s been a nice fit there, in my mind. It should be noted Martinez doesn’t have any no-trade protection

LeBrun: Latest trade talk on Tyler Johnson, Josh Anderson and Patrik Laine

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The reason they haven't offered an extension yet is they can't have too much $$$ in projected cap for next year.

Lebrun was spitballing about trading Schmidt last week for the same reasons.

Reactions: Morrison

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wonder what the ask is. Something like Martinez and a 4th for Virtanen, Foccht and a 5th??

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Gotta agree - although Martinez is the perfect fit in Colorado (experienced but not too long in the tooth, only one year left on contract so not going to affect long-term plans, fits the AAV rumored to be looking at, very versatile in what he can do) - don't think there's a chance in heck that Vegas will deal him to a direct rival.

Vegas is pretty stacked and deep so I imagine this is just a clearing move to balance the books and/or create space to go after a star player and to recoup some assets. Gotta imagine they will want the best picks/prospects they can get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad