Rumor: Vegas looking to trade Nikita Gusev. Gusev asking for $4m per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well if he is asking for 4 mil, it probably wouldnt have worked out in TB either way. However, at least we would still be able to trade him for something. We already did and I guess it served its purpose. We needed cap space and Jason Garrissons contract gone. Also didnt want them to select Dotchin or Koekkoek which they didnt but those two turned out to be nothing at the next level. Meh deal all the way around but it doesnt look like things would have mattered that much with Gusev. Maybe he would have been willing to take less to play in TB. Who knows and never will know.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Agent Nikolaev to championat: Vegas has not traded Nikita Gusev to another team, even though they have calls/offers from other teams. Vegas is aware of Gusev´s demands. If they do not do anything in a certain time (our deadline), I will negotiate seriously with SKA in the KHL.

It’s really hard to understand how Vegas has been so successful when George McPhee does so much dumb shit.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It’s really hard to understand how Vegas has been so successful when George McPhee does so much dumb ****.
Ah yes, contract negotiations. Very dumb stuff right there. Vancouver, Winnipeg, & Toronto are stupid too!

Anyway, first thing he said when asked about signing Gusev(idk, 2 months ago?) is that he's in no rush to do so.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Hopefully he doesn't get frustrated and just leave for KHL but Vegas needs to trade his rights in next couple of weeks.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Gusev has been the best player outside the NHL for the last 2-3 seasons. He dominates at the Worlds against NHL calibre competition. 4m is not an unreasonable demand and there would be teams out there that would be happy to pay that if Vegas were to trade him. Vegas can't sign him for any amount since they have 0 cap room. If I were him I'd just sign a 1 year deal in KHL and then be a UFA in the NHL next off-season since'd he'd be 27 come July 1.

Reactions: vorky

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Potentially calling his bluff and signing him for 2m is not dumb. Gusev stands to lose out on a lot of money by not playing this season.
There is hockey outside the NHL. Gusev would be fine with SKA.

Reactions: Steeler23

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There is hockey outside the NHL. Gusev would be fine with SKA.

Then why did he leave?

If he doesn't prove himself in the NHL for 2 seasons he's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table. He could get 7-8m as a UFA after 2 good NHL seasons.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Gusev has been the best player outside the NHL for the last 2-3 seasons. He dominates at the Worlds against NHL calibre competition. 4m is not an unreasonable demand and there would be teams out there that would be happy to pay that if Vegas were to trade him. Vegas can't sign him for any amount since they have 0 cap room. If I were him I'd just sign a 1 year deal in KHL and then be a UFA in the NHL next off-season since'd he'd be 27 come July 1.
Besides, it's only 2 years. Sure, for Vegas with their cap that can be impossible but other teams with cap room looking for a potential game-breaker should be queuing up.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Then why did he leave?

If he doesn't prove himself in the NHL for 2 seasons he's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table. He could get 7-8m as a UFA after 2 good NHL seasons.

Why is Gusev worth less than Shipachyov? $4m is not unreasonable at all, VGK just lacks the cap space because of their spending spree. GMGM knows this, knows Gusev is in a difficult personal situation since he doesn't speak English and needs as much time as he can get with any potential team, and is treating this negotiation like Gusev is playing hardball. It's total BS, an abuse of his leverage, and I hope it deals his reputation a permanent blow.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why is Gusev worth less than Shipachyov? $4m is not unreasonable at all, VGK just lacks the cap space because of their spending spree. GMGM knows this, knows Gusev is in a difficult personal situation since he doesn't speak English and needs as much time as he can get with any potential team, and is treating this negotiation like Gusev is playing hardball. It's total BS, an abuse of his leverage, and I hope it deals his reputation a permanent blow.

He’s already done plenty of things which should have dealt a blow to his reputation, many of them more egregious than this. He is the Teflon GM.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Besides, it's only 2 years. Sure, for Vegas with their cap that can be impossible but other teams with cap room looking for a potential game-breaker should be queuing up.

Why? What’s the upside? He has never played in the NHL 4 million is a big risk, plus if he turns out to be good or great he is going to bolt to a party town and leave after 2 years anyway.
Unless you don’t have to give up more than a second I don’t see why anyone would bother. It’s all risk without a big reward

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why? What’s the upside? He has never played in the NHL 4 million is a big risk, plus if he turns out to be good or great he is going to bolt to a party town and leave after 2 years anyway.
Unless you don’t have to give up more than a second I don’t see why anyone would bother. It’s all risk without a big reward
I was refering to Gusev ask itself. Obviously, if Vegas thinks they can get a good player or multiple good picks for him then that's different, that can be difficult to stomach.

I don't think Vegas wants to lose him for nothing.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Vegas doesn't have much leverage here. Could sign with KHL for more money this season and sign with any NHL team he wants to next season. But apparently he wants to play in the NHL this season and is giving Vegas the opportunity to get some return on investment.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Take the second (preferably from NYI) and run.

Reactions: NNCbama

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Because whatever team ends up with him is effectively getting a player with high first round talent for just cash. He's not proven in the NHL, but he has enough realistic potential that a 2 year, $8M is worth seeing if you got a Panarin on your hands.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Because whatever team ends up with him is effectively getting a player with high first round talent for just cash. He's not proven in the NHL, but he has enough realistic potential that a 2 year, $8M is worth seeing if you got a Panarin on your hands.

I can’t see him signing long term anywhere but a few select cities, and giving a guy who has never played in the NHL 8 million? Not sure how it’s worth it.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I can’t see him signing long term anywhere but a few select cities, and giving a guy who has never played in the NHL 8 million? Not sure how it’s worth it.
Gusev has ton of potential and it will take little in trade assets to get him as Vegas has little leverage here. That's assuming they eventually come to their senses and don't just let him walk for free next year.

Essentially this is like MLB's international free agency. Why do teams spend millions on 16 year old Cubans who aren't proven in the majors? Because being able to potentially get high first round talent for just cash is something that can bolster teams futures, and it's worth risking the cash for.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Gusev has ton of potential and it will take little in trade assets to get him as Vegas has little leverage here. That's assuming they eventually come to their senses and don't just let him walk for free next year.

Essentially this is like MLB's international free agency. Why do teams spend millions on 16 year old Cubans who aren't proven in the majors? Because being able to potentially get high first round talent for just cash is something that can bolster teams futures, and it's worth risking the cash for.

How many teams that he would decide to stick around long term have cap space to risk 4 million just to try?
MLB does not have a hard cap, this deal isn’t as good as people are trying to make it sound or it would be long done

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
How many teams that he would decide to stick around long term have cap space to risk 4 million just to try?
MLB does not have a hard cap, this deal isn’t as good as people are trying to make it sound or it would be long done
LT deal doesn't make sense for either side here. Team would want a ST deal because Gusev is unproven, and Gusev would want ST because a LT deal prohibits his ability to eventually cash in if he does succeed.

For example, a 2 year, $8M deal makes perfect sense for both sides (Gusev and numerous amounts of teams in the league, including my own). Just a matter of getting Vegas to dance in a trade.

And yes, MLB isn't hard capped so it's not the perfect comparison. But the ideas are the same. Cash for realistic potential. 5% of the cap on a short term commitment is nothing.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Shipachyov was a UFA. Are you saying this because you truly believe it, or because you're getting salty hoping the Devils can trade peanuts for Gusev and sign him with all that excess cap space?

Teams should give up the conditional picks. We already have a precedent for points-based conditions with the James Neal trade. You want Gusev? Be mad at Shero for doing what he ought to do to load up NJ and convince Hall to stay.

Otherwise, it should be hardball just like with every other RFA.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Shipachyov was a UFA. Are you saying this because you truly believe it, or because you're getting salty hoping the Devils can trade peanuts for Gusev and sign him with all that excess cap space?

Teams should give up the conditional picks. We already have a precedent for points-based conditions with the James Neal trade. You want Gusev? Be mad at Shero for doing what he ought to do to load up NJ and convince Hall to stay.

Otherwise, it should be hardball just like with every other RFA.

What? Do you not understand what a precedent is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->