Vegas Golden Knights

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So assuming VGK makes a play for Karlsson (and I think they will), what will be the return? I see some talk of last years 1st round picks as well as contracts for FA's in the offseason, but no mention of how much of that will be left after that sort of trade

D Erik Brannström + F Nick Suzuki + 2019 1st + 2019 3rd + 2020 2nd.

Those are their "extra". Still would keep Hague and Glass from their 2017 draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And vegas going to the finals. I hope Holland going to bring some europians. Trade most of the players, exept core. Larkin, Glandanning, Z, Mantha, DD, Bert, Aby,Green, build team around them, get as many 2018, 2019 draft pics as we can. In 2 years with right coach we could be very solid team

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Remember when expansions teams used to be a joke their first year? Their first few years? God damn, not anymore. This team has only dropped 3 games in 3 series and is in the finals. Even if they bottom out and get swept in the Cup, they'll still have have gone 12-7 in the playoffs in their first year.

These guys are eating at Outback Steakhouse: No rules, just right!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Remember when expansions teams used to be a joke their first year? Their first few years? God damn, not anymore. This team has only dropped 3 games in 3 series and is in the finals. Even if they bottom out and get swept in the Cup, they'll still have have gone 12-7 in the playoffs in their first year.

These guys are eating at Outback Steakhouse: No rules, just right!

I don't get how more GMs aren't getting some serious heat for how they handled the expansion draft from their end. I'm looking at Florida and Columbus, primarily, but there were others that just protected strange players, gave insanely good deals to protect (or to insure taken) players, etc. Holland just saying "screw it, let the chips fall where they may" was a great move. We might have disagreed with who he protected, but it was a lot saner than some of the stupidity flowing from other front offices.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't get how more GMs aren't getting some serious heat for how they handled the expansion draft from their end. I'm looking at Florida and Columbus, primarily, but there were others that just protected strange players, gave insanely good deals to protect (or to insure taken) players, etc. Holland just saying "screw it, let the chips fall where they may" was a great move. We might have disagreed with who he protected, but it was a lot saner than some of the stupidity flowing from other front offices.

Turns out Nosek was an NHL player after all. Plays three years in Grand Rapids and never complained once about riding the bus. Just worked hard, developed into a key player in the Calder Cup run and is now going to the Stanley Cup finals.

Hope other players in GR take something away from that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
In retrospect it feels surreal to remember a lot of this board was up in arms about not protecting XO and Mrazek. Wings lost a bit player and gained 3 picks by trading them a guy who isn't even playing. Other teams paid Vegas to take players that are doing awesome.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Turns out Nosek was an NHL player after all. Plays three years in Grand Rapids and never complained once about riding the bus. Just worked hard, developed into a key player in the Calder Cup run and is now going to the Stanley Cup finals.

Yeah, keep your head down, play out your string, and maybe you, too, will find your way to a club that will play and value you.

In retrospect it feels surreal to remember a lot of this board was up in arms about not protecting XO and Mrazek. Wings lost a bit player and gained 3 picks by trading them a guy who isn't even playing. Other teams paid Vegas to take players that are doing awesome.

not only traded them better players, but in the case of Florida did it purposefully to insure they'd take another better player but with a higher cap hit. Put Marchesseault in Florida and are they a playoff team? Nashville protecting Jarnkrok instead of Neal? Teams were so willing to give up better players as a way to massage their bottom lines.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I actually use to think that Nosek was going to be the better player/bigger NHL impact than Bertuzzi. Lil' Bert proving me wrong makes me glad to be wrong.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Everything about Vegas is more about being lucky/flukey then it was bad management from other GM's.

-Reilly Smith was highly paid and struggling so getting rid of him at the expense of Marchessault isn't as bad as it is made out to be. No one thought Smith would play as well as he has.
-William Karlsson - no one expected him to do what he did, not a single person, just a great break for them. He will have a bigger target next season.
-Marc-Andre Fleury wasn't exactly playing great for Pittsburgh and they could only protect one goalie anyhow, they made the logical choice at the time.
-James Neal, as far as I know, was more of a cap move for Nashville, hard to blame them for that.
-David Perron was miles better than he has been, probably his whole career. Last year with the exact same ice time, he was 20 pts worse.
-Minnesota made a move to protect Dumba and their blueline, hard to blame them for that with defenders at a premium nowadays.
-Most of their team - is playing way above what they normally do, and will be hard-pressed to match it next season.
-They are reverse Red Wings, where on our team, pretty much everyone minus a few regressed or stayed the same, while pretty much everyone, far exceeded expectations or previous production.

All in all, I honestly think they captured one year lightning in a bottle, and I suspect next season, reality will hit and they will be just another struggling team. They are the kind of team, I could easily see in the Finals this year, and miss the playoffs all together next season.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I honestly don' think this was what mcphee wanted

Sure I bet if you asked him, get you wanna play for the cup he would have said yes. But the man picked a roster designed to lose to draft higher for a few years then be good

They're all having career years plus playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Fleury is playing out of his mind as well.

Reactions: Oddbob

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's a good team but I don't think they're perennial contenders. If Fleury ever comes down from being the best goalie in the league they're gonna be in trouble. No way some of these guys score like they did this season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
before season start nobody trust this , when team make play off nobody trust this team . Most likely they will win the cup. Still nobody believes in Vegas. Vegas not exception, hockey is changing . Olympic games and Germany almost won gold , world cup and Switzerland could won gold

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I honestly don' think this was what mcphee wanted

Sure I bet if you asked him, get you wanna play for the cup he would have said yes. But the man picked a roster designed to lose to draft higher for a few years then be good

They're all having career years plus playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Fleury is playing out of his mind as well.
If they win a cup, then isn't it exactly what McPhee wanted, just much sooner than anticipated?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Scoring goals too. Good for him.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
So many people are talking about Fleury being the reason why this team is so good, and maybe he is the main reason why they are just killing it in the playoffs, but they were 5th in the NHL in scoring this year, they are more then just a "hot goalie".

G/PG - 5th
GA/PG - 8th
PP% - 10th
PK% - 10th

They were essentially a very balanced team this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So many people are talking about Fleury being the reason why this team is so good, and maybe he is the main reason why they are just killing it in the playoffs, but they were 5th in the NHL in scoring this year, they are more then just a "hot goalie".

G/PG - 5th
GA/PG - 8th
PP% - 10th
PK% - 10th

They were essentially a very balanced team this year.

Fleury impacted the 2nd and 4th stat you provided in a big way. Their scoring ability and chemistry has been what has surprised me the most though, agree there.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know Fleury had some disappointing playoff series in the past, but are we that surprised a guy who is in his 4th Cup final is pretty good? Yeah, Crosby/Malkin, but I think after you win 70 playoff games we can assume you're doing something right. He's 8th all-time in career playoff wins for a goalie. One spot above Osgood, and 3 wins from passing Vernon.

My argument? He's the Chris Osgood of this generation. Not without fault, people will always credit his teams first when discussing legacy, but damn don't underestimate him over a playoff run.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
My argument? He's the Chris Osgood of this generation.
Haha, there's totally 2 ways to take that, based on how you view Chris Osgood.

That said, I think unlike Osgood who I think is absolutely an HHOF caliber player, Fleury has been the rock upon which the Vegas team has built itself. Osgood was a good goalie, but he couldn't be that because all his teams had all-star HHOF caliber players on them when he won. Osgood turned into a god for a couple of playoff runs where his stats were incredible. Fleury has been the difference between a non-playoff team and literally one of two cup finalists. I don't think that's the same with the Wings teams Osgood played for. The team with and without him is completely different.

I think Fleury deserves a little more credit than Osgood. Which is not me taking anything away from Osgood because I always thought that he got a bum rap. .977 SV though in the first round. That is some disgusting shit.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Haha, there's totally 2 ways to take that, based on how you view Chris Osgood.

Ha. For the record, I think Osgood was damn good and I reluctantly (not a fan of him personally) give the same credit to Fleury.

The narrative for Osgood and Fleury is that they were propped up by Hall of Fame players. Yzerman/Fedorov and Crosby/Malkin. Both had dud playoff series that deflated stacked teams. Then, after they had been considered past their primes, both Osgood and Fleury rip off a playoffs that's MVP quality. Osgood in 2008 and Fleury this year. And I love the full circle nature of it in that Osgood defeats Fleury in 2008, and the plot is flipped next season. I thought those parallels were interesting, nonetheless.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
My argument? He's the Chris Osgood of this generation. Not without fault, people will always credit his teams first when discussing legacy, but damn don't underestimate him over a playoff run.

When you really think about it, there are some other interesting parallels between Osgood and Fleury's careers

-Both were claimed for essentially nothing in a "draft" after playing their entire careers with one team and winning multiple Cups, both as a backup and starter at least once. Osgood was taken in the now gone "waiver draft" with the 1st overall pick, and Fleury by Vegas in the expansion draft

-Both were big factors in leading their "claiming" teams to much better than expected finishes. Obviously, Fleury has been instrumental for Vegas, but Osgood was similar for the Islanders. The Isles finished 00-01 in last place with 52pts. Along with guys like Yashin, Peca and Bates, and coach Peter Laviolette, Osgood was a big part of the 01-02 Islanders team that surprisingly finished 4th in the East and made the playoffs for the first time in 8 years.

Reactions: Bench

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Fleury impacted the 2nd and 4th stat you provided in a big way. Their scoring ability and chemistry has been what has surprised me the most though, agree there.

Agreed Fleury was a big part, but some make it sound like they are a team that is only good because of the goalie.
100% agree with the bold.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
It also goes down to system and workethic.

That Vegas forecheck is ridiculously effective.

They just keep skating, beating defender after defender for the puck and causing turnovers everywhere. Detroit don't do that.

Detroit don't forecheck well. They don't skate. And most games, they don't even look motivated to play. That is the difference that coaching and motivation does. You give Blashill the same group of guys and they'd be asleep by the end of the 1st.

Reactions: NickH8

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Their work ethic and constant pressure system is admirable and they've done an amazing job producing... Especially considering what they had to work with coming in. JAM-Smith-Karlsson has been red-hot all year.

Fleury deserves a huge amount of credit for these playoffs though. I've watched their D be sloppy and give up tons of chances in the playoffs, but Fleury stole the game anyway. Their offense has produced when it's needed to, but Fleury probably deserves the Smythe regardless of who wins.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It also goes down to system and workethic.

That Vegas forecheck is ridiculously effective.

They just keep skating, beating defender after defender for the puck and causing turnovers everywhere. Detroit don't do that.

Detroit don't forecheck well. They don't skate. And most games, they don't even look motivated to play. That is the difference that coaching and motivation does. You give Blashill the same group of guys and they'd be asleep by the end of the 1st.
In the end a good system that all the players have bought into beats a team with a meh system but perhaps has more talent. NHL players are closer in ability than they appear, it's how a guy like Lars Eller can suddenly produce like a top 6 player when put in the top 6 and in a good system. What will separate players in the end is system and work ethic. It's why there's such a large difference between an average coach (Blashil) and a great coach (Gallant, Sullivan).

Reactions: Mlotek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad