Vegas Golden Knights

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
There’s an around the nhl thread for this but yeah. They are for real. Have been for alittle bit now (technically all year now)

I still pick Tampa. Nashville and maybe even Boston over them in a 7 game series. Could change. Vegas could win it all or be a first round exit. Still have like 3 months left plus tdl

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I will be that guy, But no one wanted Gallant. Said he sucked as a coach and we where better off with Trashhill.

What's your point? The overall sentiment around here is this team needs to lose games. Not win them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Game is changing and it was pretty easy for a smart GM like McPhee to pick only players which will fit on current NHL. Every team has long-term commitments for players who aren't as effective now. Vegas has zero. Also, they have zero overpriced players, they have very cap-efficient team. It's gonna change in the future, but they have huge edge now.

This is really funny how Vegas is going to put every other GM look like complete fools.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
What's your point? The overall sentiment around here is this team needs to lose games. Not win them.

I'm more than happy with winning if there's a coach that can make it happen. But if Kenny is just going to kick the can down the road the team might as well suck for a better draft pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Only way to be successful is through top 5 of the draft.

Not like there's ever been any data to support that or anything.

I will be that guy, But no one wanted Gallant. Said he sucked as a coach and we where better off with Trashhill.

Last thing this team needs is a coach that make them overachieve in the regular season. Vegas isn't going to do anything in the playoffs.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It can be repeated only as a Seattle GM.

Detroit GM can't just sneak out middle6 players or top4 defencemen from other teams for free.

Well by now Holland should have amassed is own equal or better middle six players and top four dmen if the aforementioned notion of not needing top five picks us true

But i think their is more to it then just not needing to tank

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
They are having a great season and are fun to watch, but I am bearish on them long-term and expect them to regress quite a bit next year. I think the highest and best use of Green is to actually trade him for Vegas' 2019 1st round pick (I don't think Vegas is in a position to trade their first rounder this year). That, however, requires some strategic thinking and action.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
The expansion draft was set up so they could compete. This is great for the nhl as well as the Vegas team and fans.

The real trouble will come down the road. They won't have the depth or the draft picks to succeed. But for these first couple years along with An easy western conference, should be good for them.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Not like there's ever been any data to support that or anything.

The data goes both ways.

Vegas, Boston, , St Louis, SJ, Dallas, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville and Columbus are all sitting top 15 in the NHL without blowing it up. For clarity on what I mean, None of these organizations have torn their teams apart to suck on purpose.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole, but the original point was specifically regarding top 5 picks, which some of those teams have had.

Also a bunch of those teams are bubble teams and aren't going to do jack ****.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole, but the original point was specifically regarding top 5 picks, which some of those teams have had.

Also a bunch of those teams are bubble teams and aren't going to do jack ****.

No. The original point was that Vegas is 1st in the NHL WITHOUT a top 5 pick. I added to that point by listing some other teams finding success without tanking.

We all know top 5 picks are a good thing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No. The original point was that Vegas is 1st in the NHL WITHOUT a top 5 pick. I added to that point by listing some other teams finding success without tanking.

We all know top 5 picks are a good thing.

No one said anything about tanking. We were talking about picking top 5.

Dallas picked top 3 six months ago. Columbus has picked in the top 5 three times since 2010. Nashville drafted Jones at #4 and flipped him for their #1 center. Calgary has picked in the top 6 in three of the last four drafts.

When you whittle that list down the data doesn't really go both ways anymore.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
No one said anything about tanking. We were talking about picking top 5.

Dallas picked top 3 six months ago. Columbus has picked in the top 5 three times since 2010. Nashville drafted Jones at #4 and flipped him for their #1 center. Calgary has picked in the top 6 in three of the last four drafts.

When you whittle that list down the data doesn't really go both ways anymore.

No man. This thread is about Vegas' success and one poster pointed out that they don't have a top 5 pick. If i need to put words between the lines, Vegas didn't tank. From there I cited other teams finding success without tanking.

As for Dallas, the top 3 pick you're referring to was acquired via lottery and isn't on their roster so that is a moot point.

Columbus did draft in the top 3 five times but one hasn't lived up to expectations. But there success is also a result of two trades and an 8th overall pick

Calgary...picked in the .one top 5 once and he was a disappointment.

The data really does go both ways

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No man. This thread is about Vegas' success and one poster pointed out that they don't have a top 5 pick. If i need to put words between the lines, Vegas didn't tank. From there I cited other teams finding success without tanking.

As for Dallas, the top 3 pick you're referring to was acquired via lottery and isn't on their roster so that is a moot point.

Columbus did draft in the top 3 five times but one hasn't lived up to expectations and one was traded.

Calgary...picked in the .one top 5 once and he was a disappointment.

The data really does go both ways

If you want to be a bubble playoff team, sure. First comment was tongue in cheek anyways. Vegas tried to build a bad team and it's good. I guess that's the ultimate irony?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If you want to be a bubble playoff team, sure. First comment was tongue in cheek anyways. Vegas tried to build a bad team and it's good. I guess that's the ultimate irony?

Regardless of what they tried to do (is it on record that they
tried to be bad? I think they tried to assemble the best group of players possible) I have 2 takeaways:

1) You don't need to tank to be competitive/a top team in the NHL

2) There is a lot of undervalued talent out there

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Regardless of what they tried to do (is it on record that they
tried to be bad? I think they tried to assemble the best group of players possible) I have 2 takeaways:

1) You don't need to tank to be competitive/a top team in the NHL

2) There is a lot of undervalued talent out there

If you look at how many picks they have in the next 2-3 drafts, it really seemed to me like their biggest priority was selecting players they could flip for assets, as opposed to making the best roster possible for this 17-18 season.

Now I understand that their record says otherwise, but I think this success was not really what they had intended for with how they built their roster. I just think this team is playing way above their abilities and Fleury is eventually going to come crashing down from that .946 SV%.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If you look at how many picks they have in the next 2-3 drafts, it really seemed to me like their biggest priority was selecting players they could flip for assets, as opposed to making the best roster possible for this 17-18 season.

Now I understand that their record says otherwise, but I think this success was not really what they had intended for with how they built their roster. I just think this team is playing way above their abilities and Fleury is eventually going to come crashing down from that .946 SV%.

I don't entirely, disagree here. I would say their goal was asset maximization rather than "finishing with xx points/standings". But building the best asset pool possible mostly involves taking the best players available (with a few exceptions) and it's not like they have shipped out a bunch of guys. As a result they are more or less playing with the best team they could acquire.

I also don't entirely disagree about them "playing above expectations" either. But I think that goes to show that the top and bottom of the NHL are closer than many would like to believe. Which (IMO) further devalues the concept of a full blown tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad