GDT: Vegas Golden Knights vs Winnipeg Jets | 7:30 PM | ATTSN

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
A better 2nd period, but the penalties need to stop, the last thing we want is to breathe life into the Jets... Also please no third period collapse.

That Shorty by Karlsson was sweet, but lets play a big third period.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
We'll see what team shows up for the third period.

GHorsehead.gif

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Winnipeg first Canadian team to play in Las Vegas. Next Canadian team to play in Las Vegas is Toronto on New Years Eve.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Do you guys think Mcnabb is trade bait, or that he should be kept,,,,,

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The story in statistics:
  • Once again the Knights were outhit by a large margin, and lost more face-offs (by a lot this game, actually), yet won.
  • Karlsson and Smith led all forwards easily in ice time, largely because they play on both the powerplay and penalty kill.
  • Engelland had another good game, leading all with a +3 in +/-, two assists and trailed Sbisa by only 12 seconds for most ice time (more than Schmidt for once).
  • 32-year-old Bellemare tied Neal for 3rd in ice time among forwards this game, a BIG jump up from his average (had 16+ minutes when usually he has 10), clearly leading all penalty killers in ice time.
  • McNabb had a team-most 4 blocked shots and tied Karlsson for most shots with 4.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Engelland had the game-tying goal against Toronto (that went into OT, getting us a point in the standings) by shooting from downtown, way out at the blueline.

I had told BB prior to that game that his support of another poster's criticism of Engelland's offensive game I didn't share. I had said Engelland often shoots from far away to force the goalie to play the puck, thus avoiding icing in some cases and generating rebounds in other cases.

Against the Jets tonight Engelland assisted on the game-winning goal by shooting from the blueline, generating a juicy rebound that Karlssson just potted into the open net. That goal was 80% to Engelland's credit.

golden-knights-coyotes-hockey.jpg

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I had told BB prior to that game that his support of another poster's criticism of Engelland's offensive game I didn't share. I had said Engelland often shoots from far away to force the goalie to play the puck, thus avoiding icing in some cases and generating rebounds in other cases.

Let's set the record straight.

First, Engelland, along with Marc-Andre Fleury, had been initially the de facto captains of this team. Engelland is familiar with the Las Vegas area and has helped players (most of whom came involuntarily, of course) adjust to the new environment. Without that initial leadership and guidance from Engelland, we might be looking at something more similar to an Ottawa Senators-type inaugural season (10-70-4, 24 points).

Second, the Engelland-McNabb pairing has been solid, for the most part. McNabb uses his size (6'4") and Engelland uses his versatility on both sides of the ice. Together they create a very formidable D-team.

Third, Engelland is a right handed D-man. For reasons most others understand better than I, he has a very coveted skill set. So, he ain't going nowhere soon. :laugh:

That said, in his career Engelland has not been an offensive juggernaut. He has played 485 games in the NHL and his offensive output has been sparse (24 G, 71 A, 95 P).

Deryk Engelland Stats and News

Playing with 3A and 3B goalies, however, all the D-men need to especially tighten up their games and clear the D-zone more efficiently. Unless all of the D-men rise to the challenge or Lagace ups his game (as he did in moments against the Jets), this team could be in big, big trouble.

It seems, however, that Engelland has found his O-game with this new team. He looks offensively great in 16 games: 2 G, 7 A, 9 P.

Not only do I like the Engelland-McNabb pairing, I think all the D-men have played better than my expectations.

With solid play from the goalies, this team could be a legit playoff contender. Without either consistent net minding or more defensive protection of the D-zone and the goalie, this season could become ugly fast.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kuddos to Neal on the diving insurance goal and to Karlsson his 2nd shorthanded goal of the year that sealed the deal. And Legace for a few big saves when the game was still in doubt.

When a team wins, there are so many good performances.

Fortunately for us, our guys don't seem to take a night off. Even when it's a loss, there's so much effort and good play out there.

The third period against the Islanders was uglier than Zetterberg's onslaught early in the season. Tonight one might have wondered how the 3rd period would go, but it went just fine.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Really like your team in Vegas, well coached, well disciplined team that executes well!

Karlsson is heck of player and probably will turn into a real good one, the Jackets may have regrets exposing him to the expansion draft, good centers are hard to find!

With a little luck hope the Jets meet the Knights in the playoffs!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Really like your team in Vegas, well coached, well disciplined team that executes well!

Karlsson is heck of player and probably will turn into a real good one, the Jackets may have regrets exposing him to the expansion draft, good centers are hard to find!

With a little luck hope the Jets meet the Knights in the playoffs!
Thanks Sipowicz. I'm pretty interested to hear what the Jets fans down here thought of the experience. I saw a lot of chatter pre-game, not as much afterward. Hoping everyone had a good time. I honestly expected more Jets fans, but the ones that were here were fairly polite, loud at times (the anthem) and pretty well drunk for the most part.

Hope everyone had a good time, even with the result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad