GDT: Vegas Golden Knights @ Toronto Maple Leafs 7:00pm SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
VGK are sizeable underdogs tonight according to oddsmakers. VGK are going to push the Leafs around.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Can someone more familiar with Corsi tell me if the Blues last year and Caps had good Corsi? Also if Boston is currently with good Corsi stats? I don't really know what to think about Corsi. During the Randy years we must have been Corsi champions, but we were also a big punching bag.

Reactions: PuckMagi

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can someone more familiar with Corsi tell me if the Blues last year and Caps had good Corsi? Also if Boston is currently with good Corsi stats? I don't really know what to think about Corsi. During the Randy years we must have been Corsi champions, but we were also a big punching bag.
Corsi has pretty good predictive value over a large sample, but it definitely also has its flaws. For instance, it treats a one timer from the slot as equal to a 40 foot wrister that goes wide.

To answer your specific questions, Boston and the Blues were both top 10 in cf% last year, and Washington was about average. The leafs sucked under Carlyle and their 2013 team was dead last

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Cant just use corsi in it's own. It just means you were able to get the most shots off at the net compared with the opposing team. It's good to determine possession but i like it in concert with scf% which is scoring chance differential.

During the Randy years, we were a brutal corsi team constantly getting outplayed but were had very high shooting % with some decent snipers and goaltending was very good for us during that time which masked the issue. It's why the 18 wheeler kept happening.

Last year, the Blues were a very good corsi/scf team but their goaltending was so bad early ot kept them from competing. Once they found an amazing goalie, their entire season turned around and they eventually got the cup.

Goaltending remains the most important thing in the game. The Blues underlying stats like corsi barely moved but having a real goaltender in net made all the difference.

Its the reason the Leafs have been .500 for like forever.....

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Please be a motivated 60m effort. Please make Leafs games what not to do instructionals for hockey dad's and stop being a grind to watch. Dying for a pulse here! Show us some freaking life tonight boys!
What about the other .99 meters? I want full ice effort

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Corsi has pretty good predictive value over a large sample, but it definitely also has its flaws. For instance, it treats a one timer from the slot as equal to a 40 foot wrister that goes wide.

To answer your specific questions, Boston and the Blues were both top 10 in cf% last year, and Washington was about average. The leafs sucked under Carlyle and their 2013 team was dead last

Cant just use corsi in it's own. It just means you were able to get the most shots off at the net compared with the opposing team. It's good to determine possession but i like it in concert with scf% which is scoring chance differential.

During the Randy years, we were a brutal corsi team constantly getting outplayed but were had very high shooting % with some decent snipers and goaltending was very good for us during that time which masked the issue. It's why the 18 wheeler kept happening.

Last year, the Blues were a very good corsi/scf team but their goaltending was so bad early ot kept them from competing. Once they found an amazing goalie, their entire season turned around and they eventually got the cup.

Goaltending remains the most important thing in the game. The Blues underlying stats like corsi barely moved but having a real goaltender in net made all the difference.

Its the reason the Leafs have been .500 for like forever.....
Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions guys! I am really grateful! It seems that there is truth behind Corsi.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Ryan Reaves will love to play against us, there will be 0 repercussions for whatever he does

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the Leafs can’t get up for this game I don’t know when they will. In my mind this has that big game feel and I think they’ll come out flying.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Itd be nice to light up a backup goalie for once. Him being a hometown guy... maybe make up for some guys always scoring the 1st career goal on us.

As for Reaves ... he's like a less skilled Wilson... and I dislike Wilson too... guys like that... just make them take stupid penalties and don't get suckered into their bullshit.

Mind you... they are guys who you hate to play against. Leafs just have to be smart.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Corsi is basically a way to track possession by counting shot attempts (on goal, missed, and blocked all count) for each team. If team A directs 5 shot attempts towards the net and team B directs 5, then both would have a 50 corsi percentage. Generally the more you have the puck and more you shoot, it bodes well for winning games
Does it exclude man advantages/disadvantages? For a team like the Leafs that routinely take more penalties than getting powerplays, would that sway corsi?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You might be thinking of the Wilson teams. Under Carlyle we were the worst corsi team in the league bar none.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Does it exclude man advantages/disadvantages? For a team like the Leafs that routinely take more penalties than getting powerplays, would that sway corsi?
It would sway raw corsi numbers. Thankfully most in the advanced stats community filter out this variable using strictly stats from 5 on 5 play. This way a team like us that takes mote penalties than receives powerplays and players that penalty kill often aren't penalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->