Prospect Info: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Chicago Wolves AHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
From a writer who covers Providence College hockey for the Providence Journal Bulletin - on draft pick Jack Dugan

Mark Divver‏ @MarkDivver
More
.@GoldenKnights were ready to sign 5th round pick & @FriarsHockey commit Jack Dugan of Chicago Steel, according to sources. He'd then play in OHL (London?) or AHL next season. Word is Dugan said no & is expected to enroll at PC, as planned

Looks like he'll still play college hockey next year - which seems like the best thing for his long-term development.
Come to LONDON :)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ben Jones was eliminated from the OHL playoffs tonight. He scored a goal in the losing effort and finished with 5 goals and 12 points in 10 playoff games. He improved his season Points Per Game and Goals Per Game in the post season to lead the Ice Dogs in scoring. Not bad for a 7th round pick.:eek:

Chicago Wolves won 4-3 in OT last night. Hyka had 2 assists, Bischoff scored and Hague finished a -1.
Bischoff has 2g2a in his last 4. After getting just 6 points before Christmas, he's now at 7 goals 23 points and leads the team with a plus 23 for the season. Reinhart is 2nd at +18.
Hyka has close to a point per game with 45 in 47 games and is +1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Come to LONDON :)

From this week's Prospects section in The Hockey News - he's going to college next year.

Jack Dugan, LW, Chicago Steel (USHL): With 62 points in 52 games, Dugan has been one of the top players in the USHL this season. And according to Mark Divver of the Providence Journal, Vegas wanted to sign their 2017 draft pick recently. That would have killed Dugan’s NCAA plans to play for Providence College, so Dugan has yet to sign. The kid wants to be a Friar first and that’s a perfectly good plan. NHL arrival: 2020-21.

Reactions: LDN

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Glass is facing elimination tonight and his team is down 3-0 in the 3rd.
Suzuki's Owen Sound is down 3-2 in their series after tonight.

Chicago has won their division and will face Rockford in the playoffs starting next Saturday.

edit: Glass eliminated. 4 goals and 13 points in 12 playoff games. By the sounds of it, Carter Hart robbed him several times.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I forgot to mention the Knights have another prospect in the CHL playoffs. :oops:

20yo defenseman Dylan Coghlan has 11 points in 8 games for Tri City and has advanced to the 3rd round of the WHL playoffs.

Suzuki will try and stave off elimination tomorrow.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
McPhee's gonna have a real busy summer (even if he bows out of the Karlsson sweepstakes)

the Knights will probably look at more college free agents or CHL overagers to load up the Wolves' roster for next year:

without Blues prospects:
Hyka Tynan __
__ Duke __
Wong* __ Kolesar
__ ___ ___

Hague Hunt/Brannstrom (probably will start with VGK)
Whitecloud Bischoff
Coghlan Reinhart

Dansk
Ferguson

Chicago does their own thing with their own GM though so they're not explicitly our development franchise. They might re-sign a few forwards and we might re-sign Matteau and Thompson but there's at least 3 spots for 20-23yo forwards.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
McPhee's gonna have a real busy summer (even if he bows out of the Karlsson sweepstakes)

the Knights will probably look at more college free agents or CHL overagers to load up the Wolves' roster for next year:

without Blues prospects:
Hyka Tynan __
__ Duke __
Wong* __ Kolesar
__ ___ ___

Hague Hunt/Brannstrom (probably will start with VGK)
Whitecloud Bischoff
Coghlan Reinhart

Dansk
Ferguson

Chicago does their own thing with their own GM though so they're not explicitly our development franchise. They might re-sign a few forwards and we might re-sign Matteau and Thompson but there's at least 3 spots for 20-23yo forwards.

Isn't normal about 7-10 players who are signed by the AHL team? Anyways probably some of these players could be ECHL bound too. Not sure if Ferguson is quite ready for this level yet for example. McPhee has to be careful about signing just any player to a deal, by third year the team could get close to contract limit if he's signing a lot of lower quality free agents.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ferguson is 19 (until birthday 9/20). Don't recall exact cut off, but you need to be 20 to play in AHL. He also could get 19/overage year in juniors.

Many teams have at least five goalies signed to pro contracts. (2 NHL, 2 AHL, plus depth usually in ECHL) That last guy may be signed to AHL contract rather than NHL deal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Isn't normal about 7-10 players who are signed by the AHL team? Anyways probably some of these players could be ECHL bound too. Not sure if Ferguson is quite ready for this level yet for example. McPhee has to be careful about signing just any player to a deal, by third year the team could get close to contract limit if he's signing a lot of lower quality free agents.

Yes Ferguson should probably get at least 30 starts for an ECHL team but he'll probably play a bit for Chicago.

AHL rosters don't really have a limit until the playoff deadline so they could sign 10 players plus invite 10 more to camp. They also have to keep 13 'development' players in the lineup for every game, sometimes that's a Knights prospect sometimes not. The Wolves will probably want a few stars to replace Pirri and Pulkkinen should they leave, but even still there's plenty of room.

Grabovski, Garrison and Stoner's contracts end this year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ferguson is 19 (until birthday 9/20). Don't recall exact cut off, but you need to be 20 to play in AHL. He also could get 19/overage year in juniors.

Many teams have at least five goalies signed to pro contracts. (2 NHL, 2 AHL, plus depth usually in ECHL) That last guy may be signed to AHL contract rather than NHL deal.

Ferguson is in the same boat as Hague. Anyone CHLer turns 20 before December 31st can play in the AHL.

But yeah he can go back to juniors. He did look alright in camp though, and Kamloops was getting lit up all season. I kind of want him away from the Blazers ASAP.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
20 players dressed for AHL (nominally 2 goalies, 18 skaters). 15 have to be prospects/developmental. Max five "vets"/game. (You can have all the vets you want on roster, but can only dress five/game.)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
20 players dressed for AHL (nominally 2 goalies, 18 skaters). 15 have to be prospects/developmental. Max five "vets"/game. (You can have all the vets you want on roster, but can only dress five/game.)

I think it's 13. They don't count the goalies, do they? Just 18 skaters less 5 vets. 1 additional veteran can have between 260-320 games.

I think Laval was in this situation at the start of last year so Montreal traded Martinsen to get Baun

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Zhukov and the GB Gamblers, and 'Hacksaw' Jack Dugan of the Chicago Steel are in the playoffs starting tomorrow to kick off the USHL Clark cup post season.

Speaking of goalies, Big 10 mvp goalie 21yo Cale Morris would be a decent signing. I don't think he's decided yet.

And Jake Leschyshyn's Regina Pats are hosting the Memorial Cup so I would imagine he's in the finals.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Haven't seen a press release yet, but both the Wolves website and the AHL Transactions page say Cody Glass has been added to the Chicago roster:

TheAHL.com
You'll have to excuse me for my lack of knowledge with AHL rules, but can the Wolves add a guy to play in the playoffs from juniors without issue from the AHL's roster rules?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You'll have to excuse me for my lack of knowledge with AHL rules, but can the Wolves add a guy to play in the playoffs from juniors without issue from the AHL's roster rules?

Yes. It has to do with his CHL team being done for the season. Vegas is free to assign him there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BattleBorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad