Prospect Info: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Henderson Silver Knights AHL Thread II

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks. Nice to read something on Primeau...well, maybe not. What a shot in the dark that was.

Did Corcoran have a growth spurt? I don't remember him being that big when drafted.

Yup, he hit a little later growth spurt. Corcoran was actually drafted into the OHL at 6'1 already (at 16). I think it certainly helps his projection.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I hope he gets an invite to the next rookie camp

Maybe not. OBE.

My guess is that next rookie (summer) camp won't be until 2021. Guessing there won't even be a "rookie" training camp and this year either. (Just a full on NHL/AHL camp. Might be a few CHLers included who have a chance to make the big club.)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Maybe not. OBE.

My guess is that next rookie (summer) camp won't be until 2021. Guessing there won't even be a "rookie" training camp and this year either. (Just a full on NHL/AHL camp. Might be a few CHLers included who have a chance to make the big club.)

Hopefully the kids get some form of orientation and training.

The bubble probably messed up a chance for Hague to get power skating lessons.

Ivan Morozov had a goal and an assist for SKA. They reunited the kid line with Podkolzin and Marchenko last night (preseason).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
?????

Which kids?

NHL has a rookie orientation before camp starts. Usually for top draftees, prospects.

NHLPA does annual orientation for all (NHL) players. I assume most NHL teams do an orientation too.

Or are you thinking about skills?

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Kallionkieli will play in Finland on loan:

Thanks to Covid-19 I am actually able to see Kallionkieli very soon because his team will play near to me in mid-September. That is at least something positive during these times. :) I can't wait to see Golden Knights' first Finnish draft pick live also very first time in two weeks.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Kallionkieli will play in Finland on loan:

Thanks to Covid-19 I am actually able to see Kallionkieli very soon because his team will play near to me in mid-September. That is at least something positive during these times. :) I can't wait to see Golden Knights' first Finnish draft pick live also very first time in two weeks.

Any chance he gets to play in Liiga instead? U20 seems like a step back, and would give you more of a reason to watch Lundell too.

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Any chance he gets to play in Liiga instead? U20 seems like a step back, and would give you more of a reason to watch Lundell too.
It would need probably at least four or five injuries before Kallionkieli would be called up because Liiga team has already 17 forwards listed in Eliteprospects and they are still looking for one more center. Luckily I have already seen Lundell several times during a couple of past years so I don't need to see him anymore.

I think at the moment U20 games are OK choice for Kallionkieli because there are no junior hockey in North America. At least he gets to play regularly now but more ideal option would probably be Mestis, second-highest pro level. There he would get some experience against adults and tempo of the game is surprisingly good. There are a lot of action, speed and north-south hockey in Mestis games instead of more controlled tactical approach which means that games in Mestis would prepare him better to pro hockey in North America. I guess Marcus lives in Helsinki so maybe that's why he joins HIFK U20 instead of some Mestis teams which would have sure loved to have a player who was a part of U20 national team's summer camp.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
My personal top 10 VGK prospects halfway through the season:
Krebs
Dugan
Korczak
Dorofeyev
Elvenes
Coghlan
----------------
Patera
Morozov
Roy
Whitecloud
HM: Schuldt,Diliberatore, Ferguson

congrats on the WCF, love watching the golden knights play hockey. should be them and TB in the finals.

any changes for you on the top 10 since january? krebs is such a beast, gonna be a big time stud.

Reactions: CupInSIX

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
congrats on the WCF, love watching the golden knights play hockey. should be them and TB in the finals.

any changes for you on the top 10 since january? krebs is such a beast, gonna be a big time stud.

Thanks! Fingers crossed.

I knew I shouldn't have dropped Whitecloud so low after being really high on him last year.:laugh:

New top 10:
Krebs
Hague (back to the prospects list you go)
Dugan
--------------------
Coghlan
Morozov
Korczak
Elvenes
Dorofeyev
---------------------
Corcoran
Patera

HM: Kolesar, Schuldt, Diliberatore, Ferguson, Pachal

Reactions: neelynugs

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Never understood ranking Dugan above Elvenes tbh.

There's a slim chance Dugan becomes a superstar power forward. Maybe Elvenes has star potential too but I don't know what to make of him. He was a great playmaker for the Wolves, and decent at the wjc, but his camps have all been underwhelming.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Here's a vid of Podkolzin in the season opener for SKA but Morozov (now with #17) is centering him on almost every shift. He's showing a lot more creativity and confidence than he did at the WJC:

Here's a look at Vasily Podkolzin's entire performance in SKA's season opener (vs Neftekhimik, Sep. 4, 2020). Look for #92 in white.

Morozov seemed to gain confidence as the game went on. Does he look a bit like Wild Bill to anyone else?

Edit: GMKM just sold the Brandon Wheat Kings

Last edited:

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Marcus Kallionkieli opened finally today his season with HIFK U20. He played on first line (LW #17) with Jesse Seppala and Jaani Holopainen. I watched a couple of periods from stream. Kallionkieli played a lot (22:11, 6 SOG) which surprised me even though game went to penalty shots.

My overall impression was pretty clear. Kallionkieli is a forward who likes to place himself in front of the goaltender when playing 5v5 in offensive zone. He attends the game only near the boards but wins a lot of battles thanks to his size. He is also good passer and have pretty good vision to find open teammates after having won puck battles. He was also solid forechecker and skater. However, on the power-play Kallionkieli played on the right wing instead of being near the goalie. He had same kind of problems than Pacioretty had in the playoffs. Touches were sometimes frosty because it was the first game of the season for Marcus. Also his shot was pretty weak and soft but passes were good also on the power-play. So, you could say that Kallionkieli fits the very well to VGK mold because he is also a player who can pass, skate, forecheck and win battles but lacks of high end skill, haha. Here are some GIFs and videos about Kallionkieli.

This is from first period. Kallionkieli is at his own office in front of the net and rushes to the corner after the rebound. He protects the puck very well and draws a penalty to the opponent: Kallionkieli 1

On the power-play he is on the right wing like I wrote but misses the one-timer chance by being a frosty like I also said. However, he is calm with the puck and finds an open teammate who passes the puck back. After that Kallionkieli forces the pass through the defender but wins the puck back in the corner.

Later on that same power-play Kallionkieli gets again a cross-ice pass. This time he takes the puck over well and tries to pass to backdoor with good vision. His teammate was just a little late coming behind the net to put the puck empty net. But yeah, Kallionkieli can find teammates with his passes pretty well at least at this level.

This clip is also from power-play. You can see how his shot is weak and soft. The puck seemed to go away a little bit just before the shot due to maybe a lack of sharpness: Kallionkieli YV_2

A clip from second period. After a long shift Kallionkieli still has gas to prevent the defender to pass the puck onwards. Kallionkieli is able to force the puck deep and almost wins the battle against two men. At least he bought time to his team to bring fresh legs on ice. Great job and a sign how effective forechecker Kallionkieli can be.

Reactions: theslatcher

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland

This was a great shift too. First, Kallionkieli wins the battle near the boards and passes the puck to the blueline. After that, he forces his way to the net to the mask. Later on same shift puck goes to left corner. Kallionkieli moves behind the net, passes the puck back to blueline and then again moves by force in front of the net but shot did not get through at that time.

You can see in this picture how Kallionkieli uses cross-check to force his way in front of the goaltender. I like that. Hopefully Finland's U20 coach wants to see that kind of net-front presence also on World Juniors in December.

Another picture. HIFK scored from the blueline its second goal and look where Marcus is. Of course in front of the goalie who did not see the shot at all. Fantastic effort by Kallionkieli.

Reactions: theslatcher

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Well, on Sunday I was finally able to see Kallionkieli. I travelled a couple of hours to Helsinki to watch his game against local opponent Jokerit. HIFK lost the match 2-3 but I made some notes from every Kallionkieli's shift. The game was played at Helsinki Ice Hall which is the same place where I have seen also Dorofeyev and Morozov earlier. That is fun coincidence how I always end up watch VGK kids at that same building. Actually, this match was played at practise rink but nevertheless at the same building.

It was Kallionkieli's second match of the season. He played again in the first line at LW position with number 17. His linemates were small center J. Seppälä and right-handed winger J. Holopainen. At the warm-ups Kallionkieli showed his shooting abilities by putting the puck to the top-shelf a couple of times. He also practised a lot shooting from left side and cross-ice passes with his teammate. He was also on the ice until the last second which was a positive sign too. First impression was good.

Kallionkieli in front of my eyes: https://i.imgur.com/q0Ko0Uul.jpg
Sweet top-shelf shot during warm-ups 3v2 practise: Kallionkieli yläkulmasijoitus lämmittelyssä
Cross-ice passes during warm-ups: Kallionkieli lämmittely3

This text will be very similar to the shift by shift guide I wrote about Morozov in February: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Chicago Wolves AHL Thread II I will refer to Kallionkieli sometimes with two letters MK to save time and space. Sorry for my bad English also if there are some weird sentenced.

1st period

First shift started from offensive zone. Kallionkieli rushed behind the net after the face-off but defender Luoto spinned away from him before Kallionkieli was able to tackle. After that Luoto passed the puck to the neutral zone and Jokerit scored from the following attack. Defending begins already at offensive zone so I will give a little minus to MK about that goal which I also filmed.

A clip from the first shift where Kallionkieli misses his forecheck and Jokerit scores ten seconds later.

In the second shift Kallionkieli forechecked with a strong stick and was able to steal the puck on the offensive blueline. He passed the puck onwards and Holopainen shot a wrister from the slot but Risikko saved. Rebound went to left wing where Kallionkieli was after his steal. He shot towards goal but the angle was too small to score. His line stayed on the ice. After the next face-off, Jokerit attacked towards HIFK's goal. Kallionkieli was able to win the puck battle near the defensive blue line and forced the puck back to the neutral zone. Good job. Jokerit attacked again and created a 2v1 situation. Kallionkieli skated towards own net and was just able to prevent cross-ice pass to backdoor with his extended stick. So, in this shift we saw two good executions without a puck from MK.

In the third shift Kallionkieli carried the puck to the offensive zone on the right side. Then he cutted to the middle but an opponent was able to block his wrister. The play was forced back to HIFK's defenzive zone but home team was able to pass the puck out of its zone quickly. Kallionkieli waited the pass on neutral zone and catched the high pass with his glove on the offensive blueline. Then he passed the puck to Seppälä who gave it quickly back to Kallionkieli. He got an open look from the slot but his backhander went just wide from the left. However, his backhand shot was pretty strong which was good to see live because you can't notice that kind of detail easily from the television.

In the fourth shift nothing happened but in the fifth Kallionkieli was in the corned and passed the puck to the blueline with a backhander but defender Tanskanen was not able to keep the puck on the offensive zone. Jokerit got an open look from the right wing. Shot went to corner and HIFK's defender passed it back to neutral zone quickly. Kallionkieli was again near the offensive blueline already but the pass via board went just a little bit too close to an opponent's defender Suomi who was able to take the puck just before Kallionkieli and HIFK didn't get an 2v1 attack unfortunately.

Next shift was three minutes before the period ended. His linemates Seppälä and Holopainen played as an shorthanded pair so MK sat on the bench for a while. In this shift after the offensive zone face-off, Kallionkieli grinded the behind the net with his line and battled hard. In the end he tackled with a huge power Jokerit's defender Tuhkanen. Kallionkieli got two minutes penalty from knee check. I already feared that he gets 5+20 minutes because referees discussed shortly about the tackle but luckily it was only minor penalty. I accidentally filmed also that shift and got that strong check on the video:

Huge hit by Kallionkieli in the end of his shift.

Last shift was 25 seconds before period ended. HIFK was on the power-play. MK battled against Tarkiainen near the boards and won the puck. He dived it to the blueline but Seppälä's shot was blocked. After the period ended MK defended his teammate who got a hard hit in the end. So, Kallionkieli seems to be pretty fiery character/personality like for example Marchessault.

Kallionkieli's TOI was 4:20 in the first period. He played eight shifts and shot once. Also one shot was blocked. Plus-minus rating was -1 due to the first shift where Jokerit scored.

2nd period

On the first minute Kallionkieli was on the ice on 4v5 situation for the first time because regular penalty-killer Ruusunen was on the penalty box. Kallionkieli played alongside young center Kaskimäki (16 years old). Kallionkieli skated by force the puck out of HIFK's zone and was able to create a shot to himself in 1v1 situation but shot was blocked by defender's stick. After the face-off he passed the loose puck to the blueline but defender's shot went wide.

In the second shift MK forechecked the puck to the HIFK behind the Jokerit's net. Then he protected the puck strongly but his cross-ice pass to the blueline was breaked off in the middle. On Saturday's match between these two teams those passes were successful but not in this match. MK's line stayed on the ice after Jokerit iced the puck. After the face-off MK took his own place in front of the goalkeeper but HIFK's cycle game was not successful. In the end of shift MK skated towards own goal and got a heavy hit on the defensive blueline. He dropped to his knees and breathed a couple times before he headed to the bench.

In the 28th minute MK got an cross-ice pass on the neutral zone. He taked the puck over on the left wing near the blue line and passed it onwards to Holopainen who shot towards Risikko without success. After the face-off Kallionkieli stealed the puck against one of his rivalries of the night, defender Manninen. Then he again protected the puck easily but was not able to find anybody because there was no room on the right side on the offensive zone.

Soon after that Jokerit D Luoto took 5+20 minutes for spearing so MK got a lot of power-play time. At the beginning of the power-play MK carried the puck twice to the offensive zone. He always accelerated on the left wing and then others dropped the puck him. It was nice to see that others trusted MK's skill level and he didn't disappoint because like I said he carried twice successfully the puck to the offensive zone with a great speed. At this time Kallionkieli was on the middle on his unit and Seppälä was on the left. Holopainen was on the right, Kaskimäki behind the net and Puhakka on the blueline. MK did not get puck touches anymore at this shift.

In the next PP shift Seppälä was on the middle and Kallionkieli on the left side so that's why he practised so much to shoot from the left side during warm-ups! He got an pass from the Kaskimäki behind the net but didn't hit it with a one-timer unfortunately. Timing was not correct. Again Kallionkieli was by the way free during zone entries but this time HIFK used its right side and almost twice the play stopped on the blueline because players were not on move on that side. They should have used Kallionkieli instead again because he carried the puck much better in the first PP shift.

In the third and last PP shift during five minutes power-play, Puhakka passed the puck from blueline to left side and Kallionkieli shot a wrister just wide bottom corner. In the end he shot again from the same spot but Salminen was able to block that shot.

Kallionkieli's shot from the left side went just wide.

On the 37th minute HIFK had an OZ face-off. Kallionkieli was btw always on the right side of the circle on face-offs because then he was in the position to shoot one-timer quickly. In this shift he rushed behind the net but Manninen was able to pass the puck onwards before MK came to forecheck. Defender Tanskanen kept the puck alive luckily and MK moved to his own office in front of the goalie. There was great traffic near the net but Jokerit blocked the shots from the blueline and forced the puck to the neutral zone. HIFK attacked again and MK got the pass to the OZ blueline. He lifted Manninen's stick and moved the puck to the left wing to his teammate who in the end shot the puck from the far left side towards goalie without a good result. However, in that shift Kallionkieli showed again that he has a strong stick without a puck.

After two periods TOI was 12:40 and there were 16 shifts all in all. Thanks to a major penalty Kallionkieli played over eight minutes in the second period because his line was the second PP unit.

3rd period

In the first shift Kallionkieli didn't forechecked on the front. He was behind the first forechecked in 1-2-2 shape and showed great defensive responsibility by following Jokerit's center and in the end won the 1v1 situation against him in the neutral zone near the board. Later on same shift he passed the puck quickly from the deep to the blueline with his backhand and then moved to the mask. His teammates cycled the puck 30 seconds at least and Marcus only stayed in front of the net. Finally he was able to move backdoor and got the pass there but his shot went to pads because another player came to same puck and MK didn't get perfect release.

Next shift was also on the OZ zone. Kallionkieli moved to the blueline a couple of times when defenders went to deep. He also kept the puck alive twice when being on the blueline. Next he got pass from Seppälä from the corner. MK took a couple of steps towards goal and shot a wrister but his loading took too much time and opponent blocked the shot. Kallionkieli needs to improve his shooting technique because at the moment his release takes too much time.

On the 47th minute PP shift MK was on the middle instead of left wing. He got pass again from Kaskimäki behind the net but shot went to pads. He continued pushing pads until the whistle so he really likes to be in front of the goal agitating opponents.

On the 49th minute MK played again SH shift with Kaskimäki and two defenders. Kallionkieli tried to block a shot by Salminen but wasn't exactly at the shot lane. Rebound was cleared luckily by HIFK defender. Then HIFK settled to 1-3 shape on neutral zone. DeBoer uses same shorthanded system in VGK so it is good that Kallionkieli gets already now practise about that system. He defended the left wing alongside defenders who were in the middle and right side. Kaskimäki was ahead of that trio as a lonely forechecker.

On the 51st minute Kallionkieli got his best scoring chance. Face-off was in the HIFK's end but Holopainen rushed to the neutral zone with the puck between two Jokerit players and created 2v1 chance. He passed to Kallionkieli who got 1v0 situation against Risikko. He tried Reilly Smith's favourite deke forehand-backhand but Risikko saved Kallionkieli's backhander with his glove. What a robbery. Finishing reminded me unfortunately too much about VGK's scoring troubles in the playoffs. Kallionkieli's line stayed still on the ice and they scored from their next attack. Kallionkieli and Holopainen passed between each other and crossed the neutral zone on that way. After the blueline Kallionkieli tried to pass to right wing but Latvala intercepted. Viitasalo tried to clear the loose puck but Lentamäki stopped the puck on blueline and shot towards goal. Puck went in luckily with a weird bounce. Kallionkieli got an assist but he shouldn't have got it because Jokerit clearly touched the puck before Lentamäki scored. On the other hand his zone entry was good so he deserved an assist from that perspective. I was happy of course because it was the first point scored which I saw live from the VGK player. Dorofeyev and Morozov didn't get any points when I was watching them.

Five minutes before the end HIFK took the goalie out and tried to score with 6v4 advantage. Kallionkieli shot once from the left side but just wide. Then he battled from the space in the middle during rest of the shift but didn't get any passes to the slot: Kallionkielen laukaus ylivoimalla ohi etualakulman

Last shift was two minutes before the end. Kallionkieli gave good cross-ice pass to Holopainen who carried the puck to OZ zone. Then MK helped Seppälä near the boards but after the got the puck passed it pretty quickly to behind the net and there weren't any teammates. Luckily defender kept the play alive and MK moved to in front the goalie again. He almost got the touch to one shot from the blueline but it was a little bit too high.

Final statline was 0+1=1, +0. TOI was 21:09 and number of shifts was 24. Kallionkieli also recorded eight shots in total. He played also in third period over eight minutes when HIFK tried to comeback behind but they lost 2-3. From those eight shots all were from the left side of right circle. Three shots were shot from the left circle and one little bit more far. Kallionkieli recorded also three shots in front of the goal and one from the slot. I liked that kind of shot chart. He was in places where goals are scored usually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad