Vegas Golden Knights are your 2017-18 Western Conference Champions

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
OK, so I went back to the last 10 years, and it was interesting. During that time, the gap between last conference final game and SCG Game 1 was:

* A week: Never
* 3 days: Twice ('09, '14)
* 4 days: 4x ('13, '15, '16, '17)
* 5 days: 4x ('08, '10, '11, '12)

To me, that suggests @LadyStanley's comments may have nailed it.

a. TBL close out the series tonight = Game 1 as early as Thursday, but Friday or Saturday more likely (3, 4 or 5 days).
b. TBL in 7 = Game 1 @ Amalie on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.
c. WSH in 7 = Game 1 @ T-Mobile on Sunday or Monday.

Could they do 2 days of rest and make it Friday/Monday @ T-Mobile (may be best for ticket sales)? Sure, but it hasn't happened in the last 10 years.

Seems unlikely that if TBL wins tonight Game 1 would be delayed 7 days until Monday, Memorial Day.

In the late 90s for some reason they used to delay the finals and it would take until the 2nd or 3rd week in June to finish, just before the draft. I still remember the 99 Dallas series and how they were trying to keep the ice from turning into a foggy lake mid-June. :laugh: I don't know when they axed that long delay but I always expect a long wait to get the finals underway.

For some reason I keep reading the 28th for the start of the finals.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
In the late 90s for some reason they used to delay the finals and it would take until the 2nd or 3rd week in June to finish, just before the draft. I still remember the 99 Dallas series and how they were trying to keep the ice from turning into a foggy lake mid-June. :laugh: I don't know when they axed that long delay but I always expect a long wait to get the finals underway.

Just saw during the Lightning-Caps game that Game 1 is officially Monday.

With the Caps up 2-0 with 8’ left it appears likely that it will be a 5 day gap between the last of the conference final games and SCF game 1.

This is in line with what the last ten years of starts suggest.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

NBC too.

If TB wins, guessing M, W in Florida. Sa, M Vegas. W TB. F Vegas, Su TB.

If WAS wins, guessing M, W Vegas. F, Su WAS. Tu Vegas. Th WAS. Sa Vegas.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's BS you punish teams for performing better in the Conference Final round. Their last game on Wednesday probably gives them five days, more than enough to recover, and us eight days, too much and rusty.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's BS you punish teams for performing better in the Conference Final round. Their last game on Wednesday probably gives them five days, more than enough to recover, and us eight days, too much and rusty.
We've done just fine with long breaks.

I don't think Winnipeg game 1 had much to do with the layoff, and had a lot more to do with just crap luck.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

I think that was the time of Fox covering the playoffs and they didn't want to hurt their ratings showing hockey during the key month of May back then. Now with it on cable mostly, or on a holiday with the network they don't mind as much.

Reactions: MordredGK

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017

NBC too.

If TB wins, guessing M, W in Florida. Sa, M Vegas. W TB. F Vegas, Su TB.

If WAS wins, guessing M, W Vegas. F, Su WAS. Tu Vegas. Th WAS. Sa Vegas.

Just traded texts with @Boris Zubov. Official NHL schedule:

Game 1 Mon May 28
Game 2 Wed May 30

Game 3 Sat Jun 2
Game 4 Mon Jun 4

Game 5 Thurs Jun 7

Game 6 Sun Jun 10

Game 7 Wed Jun 13

That’s 17 days for a 7 game series and a 5 day wait after the ECF.

Ugh.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

That website's name disqualifies me from taking them seriously.

Also, I reject this notion that Vegas fans would become spoiled with a Cup win. The winning has definitely helped but this team has a bind with the city forged by many factors.

Every fanbase has those fans that would demand ridiculous things of the team after they win a championship, whether that's year 1, year 20 or year 100.

This town would not realistically expect this team to make the Cup Final year after year. There might be more pressure for management to work as hard as they can to make the team as good as it can be year after year but that's a good thing. That's winning culture that the best teams in sports all have.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@Vegan Knight perhaps, but Richardson is a respected hockey pundit, especially of rumors.

He has not been to Vegas (since franchise was awarded), but reads dozens of articles daily to keep up with what's happening in the league.

One man's opinion.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Engelland accepts the trophy. And he touches it (some superstitious teams refuse to touch it).

Engelland was on Crosby teams, he understands tradition. Pick that Mfer up and take it in the room. There's nothing superstitious for this team, it didn't exist last year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Seeing pictures on local news of long lines at CNA The Arsenal. They've extended hours (9a-8p).

Folks are limited to two conference championship items per person. More stuff supposed to arrive Wednesday.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
GLasVegasmonkeyCERT.gif

I now ask myself, "Has this just been a bizarre dream?" Will I wake up to find that half the team has been traded away in anticipation of a top draft pick as the result of a poor regular season performance?

This is beyond my wildest imagination. Many days during the regular season I would wonder when this team would finally "come back down to earth and play like an expansion team is supposed to."

Haters will hate. They say the expansion draft was rigged. They say it is a "one and done" performance. They call it pinball hockey. But dang, it truly has been an exciting ride. And yes, "it's not you grandfather's hockey anymore."

I don't know how this will end. And it might be a long time before this team is back to the Cup Finals. But let's embrace this moment and remember:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad