Vegas Expansion Thread - How did Jarmo do?

Grade Jarmo's work managing the Vegas Expansion Draft

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Now he's on a steal of a contract because of cap inflation.

More importantly he is hitting his upside. It's not like it was guaranteed in 2016 that Seth Jones was going to be a great defenseman. We all knew he had the raw tools for it, and many of us thought he would put it all together, but there was uncertainty like with any player when you are waiting for improvement. The combined cap inflation over the last three years is about 10%. Seth Jones is underpaid by a lot more than 10%.

Jones signed his five year deal when he was with the CBJ.

Yes, after 3 months of good but not great play with the Jackets.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I did not want to start a new thread for this...I usually leave that to people with a higher pay grade than me. I know this is super-early but on another CBJ forum I post in someone asked a question about the 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft.

And I have a question...

The rules state first and second year players are protected from the draft. Both Gavrikov and Elvis signed deals last year in order to burn the first year of their ELC plus Gavrikov actually played in the playoffs. Does that mean this is their second year and next year would be their third? That would mean both are vulnerable to the expansion draft and would need to be protected.

Assuming Tex is in the same boat as Elvis and Gavrikov.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I did not want to start a new thread for this...I usually leave that to people with a higher pay grade than me. I know this is super-early but on another CBJ forum I post in someone asked a question about the 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft.

And I have a question...

The rules state first and second year players are protected from the draft. Both Gavrikov and Elvis signed deals last year in order to burn the first year of their ELC plus Gavrikov actually played in the playoffs. Does that mean this is their second year and next year would be their third? That would mean both are vulnerable to the expansion draft and would need to be protected.

Assuming Tex is in the same boat as Elvis and Gavrikov.

Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Elvis is exempt but Gavrikov and Texier will need protected according to CapFriendly. I would the guess the difference is Elvis didn't actually dress for a game last season so it doesn't count against expansion eligibility.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Elvis is exempt but Gavrikov and Texier will need protected according to CapFriendly. I would the guess the difference is Elvis didn't actually dress for a game last season so it doesn't count against expansion eligibility.
wait what

upload_2020-1-4_12-19-13.png

Just went there and that's the exemption list I see. Tex is #2 on the list.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

wait what

View attachment 302391

Just went there and that's the exemption list I see. Tex is #2 on the list.
Yeah but that makes no sense. Why would Tex be exempt while Gavrikov is exposed?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think both Tex and Gavrikov need protected. Wasn’t it a whole big thing during the playoffs last year with Texiers eligibility?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
the verb to be. Use it or lose it. Players need to be protected or they need protecting. And while I'm at it it is played poorly not played poor (unless they don't have any money). Get off my lawn! Old guy rant.

Reactions: Lumbus

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Between The Hockey News article and Capfriendly I still don't know exactly who needs to be protected.

One question the HN asks is what to do about Foligno. My answer is leave him unprotected.

And I would protect Gav over Nuti if he needs to be protected. I'd expose Murray & Savard. They can only take one or they could take Nuti.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Forwards:
Cam (NTC)
PLD
Bjork
Tex
Anderson (unless next year is a 1 year contract)
Nyquist
Jenner??? (only 1 year until UFA at that point)

Defense:
Jones
Werenski
Gavrikov

Goalies:
Korpi - I think all others are safe but we have to have one available to Seattle

Foligno, Savard, Murray, and Dubi are all UFA.

Maybe we can get a forward that a team wouldn’t want to protect in the offseason. And then expose Jenner since he’d be 1 year until UFA.

Milano is interesting. Is he worth protecting? How long is his next contract?

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Forwards:
Cam (NTC)
PLD
Bjork
Tex
Anderson (unless next year is a 1 year contract)
Nyquist
Jenner??? (only 1 year until UFA at that point)

Defense:
Jones
Werenski
Gavrikov

Goalies:
Korpi - I think all others are safe but we have to have one available to Seattle

Foligno, Savard, Murray, and Dubi are all UFA.

Maybe we can get a forward that a team wouldn’t want to protect in the offseason. And then expose Jenner since he’d be 1 year until UFA.

Milano is interesting. Is he worth protecting? How long is his next contract?
Milano is absolutely worth protecting , he has a better skill set than nearly every one of our forwards , one of the few that can create offense on his own. My guess is we are going to see quite a few trades this coming year . Jarmos plan was to always recoup the picks lost last yr , with the abundance of depth we have acquired. I can’t see them ever getting to the point where a Nutivaara is ever exposed .

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I got a reply from CapFriendly:

Hi Rob,

Their Signing/Waiver Age is what makes them different. Texier was 19 when he
signed, while Gavrikov was 23.

As a result, the way that each of their pro years are calculated slightly
differs in year 1 of their deals.

You can read more in our Expansion Draft FAQ.

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps (you need to change the years since this was written for Vegas)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Dominik

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Milano is absolutely worth protecting , he has a better skill set than nearly every one of our forwards , one of the few that can create offense on his own. My guess is we are going to see quite a few trades this coming year . Jarmos plan was to always recoup the picks lost last yr , with the abundance of depth we have acquired. I can’t see them ever getting to the point where a Nutivaara is ever exposed .

To me it comes down to protecting one of Murray, Savard, Gav or Nuti, My pick is Gav so barring a trade of either Gav or Nuti I disagree with your assessment that Nuti won't ever be exposed. Of course if Jarmo decides he only has 4 F's worth protecting then Nuti is a good candidate for the 4th D spot.

Reactions: cslebn

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
To me it comes down to protecting one of Murray, Savard, Gav or Nuti, My pick is Gav so barring a trade of either Gav or Nuti I disagree with your assessment that Nuti won't ever be exposed. Of course if Jarmo decides he only has 4 F's worth protecting then Nuti is a good candidate for the 4th D spot.
I'm late to the party on this discussion, and I even missed the mid-summer series on Seattle protection lists. My guess is that Savard will not need to be protected because he will be a UFA that July 1st after the late June Seattle expansion draft. Seattle would be crazy to draft an unprotected David Savard in June, only to see him re-sign with Columbus on July 1st.

It could be that Jarmo goes to Savard and his agent and says; "here is our contract offer which we will be extending the day after the Seattle expansion draft" We want you to stay with us in Columbus".

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Seattle would be crazy to draft an unprotected David Savard in June, only to see him re-sign with Columbus on July 1st.

I can't remember specifics, but didn't Vegas need to pick a certain number of players under contract for the next two years? Was it all or just most?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Looking at the Cpafriendly tool there are several teams with much more interesting decisions to make than us. Like last time, good players will be available.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In the end I think Murray will be the one Seattle gets in the expansion draft. He played in the WHL in Everett, so they can kinda pitch the "hometown" card the same way Vegas did/does with Engelland. Plus, if he stays healthy they have a very good player and potential first pairing guy for free. I think Seattle will try to replicate the Vegas model and pick a bunch of defenseman, so that leaves either Murray, Nutivaara, or Kukan (since I think we protect Jones, Z, and Gavrikov) and Murray is far and away the best of the bunch.

I think we protect Jenner over Milano, but I don't think they'll let Milano go anywhere (assuming he keeps on the path he's going now).

All of this of course with the caveat of things changing a lot in a years time when the draft is actually held.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->