Vegas during Seattle Expansion draft

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Since Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft would it be possible for teams to make a handshake deal with them to trade them a player for say 1 week during the expansion process so that said players would not need to be protected.

Vegas could undercut the price Seattle is asking teams in order to not draft certain players. Take a 3rd round pick to hold said player whereas Seattle was asking for a 2nd not to draft them, etc

Thoughts?

Reactions: OppositeLocK

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Ohhhh... this is dirty...I like it!

:bow: Great idea

Vegas is going to have 31 2nd round picks in the 2021 draft

:naughty:

They only have so many contract spots. They’d have to move shitty players back to free up slots but that’s really the only restriction I see. Is there a penalty for being over the cap in the summer?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
They only have so many contract spots. They’d have to move ****ty players back to free up slots but that’s really the only restriction I see. Is there a penalty for being over the cap in the summer?

Can only be 10% over the cap

They could be the first team to hit the max 90 man reserve list.

:propeller

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Vegas GM: Yeah give us Matthews we promise we will trade him back in 7 days...

Every team in the Atlantic gives Vegas a 1st in order to not give Matthews back to TO

Nope but in all seriousness this would more likely be your 8th forward or 4th defenseman. Someone on the edge that you don’t want to give up. Someone not worth screwing you over for and ruining your reputation as a GM

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Give this man a job.

But I’m sure there may be rules against this and if there isn’t there will be when/if it happens.

They can call it “insider trading”

Like when Pierre Dorian was mad Hoffman came back to the east then traded with the Wilson again and said but this time you can’t!!!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Since Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft would it be possible for teams to make a handshake deal with them to trade them a player for say 1 week during the expansion process so that said players would not need to be protected.

Vegas could undercut the price Seattle is asking teams in order to not draft certain players. Take a 3rd round pick to hold said player whereas Seattle was asking for a 2nd not to draft them, etc

Thoughts?

covered under league guidelines

player X would not be able to appear on the first teams roster for one full year

Reactions: Cellee

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
After some those kind of teams other GMs wonder how Vegas Golden Knights became a dynasty.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What if its a rebuilding team that trades/loans a player to Vegas for 1 year & then he's traded back a year later ? The rebuilding team gets 2 things from doing that: 1 it helps them tank better & it prevents Seattle from getting said player in the expansion draft & Vegas gets an extra player for their playoff run as well as a draft pick. Win/Win for Vegas & the other team.

Reactions: crackdown44

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018

Thoughts?

There was a thread on this last week: Upcoming Expansion Draft loophole

Vegas being exempt from the upcoming Seattle XD presents a loophole in the process. Vegas could provide a "service" to the other teams where they "trade" for a player that another team can't protect but wishes to. They trade for that player in the summer while having an understanding with the other team and then trade that player right back to the original team once the XD is done and in the process the other team gives them a 2nd round pick or something for their trouble.

They can do this with many teams esp for players with cheap contracts considering they can exceed the cap by 10% in the summer.

Jun 15, 2007
There's a very handy no loopholes rule though just for stuff like this.

You can't circumvent the draft and if you are found to have done it, you'll be punished with fines and loss of draft picks.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Jun 15, 2007
It has been around for awhile. There is a reason why no one did It for the Vegas draft. Stashing players on other teams to prevent losing them used to be a tradition in the nhl

P

I mean there is no rule preventing a player from being traded to back to the original team within 1 year, which is what I understood your comment to mean.

If you mean there is a rule to prevent circumventing the expansion draft, then yes, there is.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I mean there is no rule preventing a player from being traded to back to the original team within 1 year, which is what I understood your comment to mean.

If you mean there is a rule to prevent circumventing the expansion draft, then yes, there is.

A rule was out in place way back when we had the waiver wire draft and it is still place. Jets/flyers the pete peters/Keith Acton trade. For the Vegas expansion draft it was further worded that a traded player traded before an expansion draft can not reappear on the original teams roster for one calender year unless trade back from the expansion team

Reactions: 895

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

The player can absolutely be traded back to his original team at any time. He just can't PLAY for them for a year from the original trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->