Vegas Cinderella story is over

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Where are all the Vegas fans that said it wasn’t an anomaly? They got lucky and had years worth of tape on every team. No one had **** on Vegas. I’m glad they’re playing below average.

I’m here.

As soon as the PDO straightens itself out and the team stops hitting posts like they’re twine, I’m sure things will improve and I’ll be glad they do. Probably as glad as you feel that they suck right now, JLo.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The Vegas hate is fascinating.
I watched boring hockey and a team that had no hope of winning a playoff series for an entire decade plus. Predators after 2 decades has NEVER had a player score more than 33 goals and Vegas had a 43 goal scorer. Vegas gets handed a team of top 4 defensemen and top 6 forwards and a top 10 goaltender and makes the Stanley Cup finals in it 1st season. It’s ridiculous that an expansion team is given top level players when others had to deal with AHL castoffs as starters. Vegas should have to pay it’s dues and build a team from scratch!!

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
The Golden Knights are now where they are supposed to be.

Add it to a miracle they were able to create last year.

I was wondering when you haters were going to show up! It took you longer than I expected.

Vegas is just having a tough start after losing a few key players. They have had bad luck with shots not going in and their summer acquisitions have been underperforming, but they will go on a winning streak soon and will definitely make it to the playoffs again.

Oh and thanks for the jinx!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
A team that rode a PDO bender regressed the next season?

THE HELL YOU SAY!

That was one hell of a PDO bender they were on. The 100.57 PDO they had hasn't been beaten since... the 9 other teams who had a higher PDO last year.

If you really are a believer in PDO you would have noticed their worst in the league PDO of 95.86 this season. They're due to improve this year more than 7 times what they would have been due to get worse last year. They must be a hell of a team considering that hell of a PDO bender they rode last year. This is coming from someone who doesn't think they're a playoff team this year, but you have it backwards.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The heck... Did the entire division just decide to take the season off?
Three quarters of it. Although every team has at some point looked in disarray this season.

But yeah, for there to be two teams in the division at or over .500 at the quarter-pole is pretty shocking.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
They’ve been playing up to their talent level since game 2 of SCF. Unfortunately, that talent level isn’t very high. They basically have a bunch of good to average 2nd and 3rd liners, just meh.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It ended when they lost the finals. This year is exactly where I and probably most have them. A bubble team that may or may not squeak in.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I watched boring hockey and a team that had no hope of winning a playoff series for an entire decade plus. Predators after 2 decades has NEVER had a player score more than 33 goals and Vegas had a 43 goal scorer. Vegas gets handed a team of top 4 defensemen and top 6 forwards and a top 10 goaltender and makes the Stanley Cup finals in it 1st season. It’s ridiculous that an expansion team is given top level players when others had to deal with AHL castoffs as starters. Vegas should have to pay it’s dues and build a team from scratch!!

Vegas paid $500 mil to get a team. Nashville paid $80 mil ($124 million today).

Vegas basically paid 4x more to get a team, and there are 17 NHL franchises that are worth less than what Vegas paid for. They should be given a bit better start than what Nashville had to deal with, but a bunch of teams decided to give out top 6 players like candy (i.e. Florida).

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Some thought it wrong Vegas got a franchise
Some pointed out how the first big event/announcement showed they were in over their heads
Most laughed at how the screwed up the expansion draft
Most talked about how the hot start was emotion fueled and unsustainable
Many believed the playoffs would finally show the Knights Real hockey

And a ridiculous amount tried to used conspiracy theories to make their earlier beliefs more palatable

And now everyone is happy they may be regressing......

I’m not even a Vegas fan, but I loved how they got and stayed involved with the city when needed (showing how great most of us know hockey players are in that regard). And I admired how damned hard the competed every single game.

Oh.....and I love the bitterness from what seems to be “traditional” market fans...makes for more rivalry type moments

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m surprised how much confidence this board has all of the sudden in the Canucks/Oilers/Flames/Coyotes
I don't have much confidence in any of them, other than maybe the Flames, but they'll probably give Mike Smith too many starts still and f*** things up for themselves.

I'd actually love to see the Canucks make the playoffs, but I said two weeks ago (maybe less) that they were the biggest overachievers in the league up to that point in the season. They were really due for a dropoff. They were even winning games despite injuries to important players and goaltending that wasn't even strong and with a heavy road schedule to start. It was really easy to see their start was way too good to be true, and now they're on a skid that's bringing them down to where they should be.

Oilers lack a lot of depth and are still coached by MacLoser. I won't have any confidence in them until Chiarelli is gone.

Coyotes have one of the worst head coaches in the league and the worst coach in the history of hockey as one of their assistants (the original MacLoser, John MacLean) and Raanta has been injured a lot there.

Flames aren't a bad team if they can get the goaltending.

Vegas should probably be better than at least the first three of those mentioned teams though.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Why should everything be even? Why should everyone else suffer if you suffer? Such a loser mentality.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas can still make the playoffs in their division or be bottom 5. The difference in the Pacific this year will probably be five less wins.

This team has been without 2 second line caliber forwards and their top defenseman for the whole season. Pacioretty hasn't shown what he can play like so far and this is where Vegas is at.

Regardless of whether the team makes the playoffs or gets a lottery pick, I think the team is well set up for more success.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Why should everything be even? Why should everyone else suffer if you suffer? Such a loser mentality.

How is it a loser mentality to have every franchise on a equal footing? What a dumb comment. If anything its the opposite of a loser mentality.

Reactions: Gnashville

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Fleury started last season in b2b games and 4 consecutive games, got a concussion in game #4 and came back in game #30. It's great not to play over 30% of the season, Fleury's season started Dec 12.
This season they used him often again, Fleury is on pace for 68 games. His season started Sep 28, big difference and he has .901 EVsave%. In his last 15 games he has .909, last 10 games .896, last 5 games .890 EVsave%. Looks like Fleury is already trending down, peaked in October.
It seems the best backup they have, 17 months after the expansion draft, is Lagace. Something wrong in Vegas.
I really believe, if Fleury didn't have a concussion last season, Vegas wouldn't have reached the cup finals.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Coming into the league in the middle of the no cap, salary exploding, dog eat dog world, just a bad move. Nashville should've waited for the cap before getting a team.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Vegas paid $500 mil to get a team. Nashville paid $80 mil ($124 million today).

Vegas basically paid 4x more to get a team, and there are 17 NHL franchises that are worth less than what Vegas paid for. They should be given a bit better start than what Nashville had to deal with, but a bunch of teams decided to give out top 6 players like candy (i.e. Florida).
17 is right around the middle which is where you would peg a brand new team valuewise.

$500 million today is pretty close to $80 million in 1998 when you control for league revenue.

Plus, it doesn't matter if they had spent a billion. Nobody should be able to just buy wins in this league. Should instead come down to ability to draft, develop, trade, and maintain. The expansion draft is just there to give them 32 warm bodies for the first season.

The rules were too favorable for Vegas when compared to what Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota and Columbus went through. Granted, they weren't so favorable as to make what Vegas did last season very likely. That was more frustrating in a "spitting in the eye of the stats gods" level.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
And last year you were Regular Season NHL champions, you should be proud of how far you’ve come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->