Vegas can start trading on March 1st

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
https://mobile.twitter.com/CraigCustance/status/825467203445092354?s=09

I think this makes sense given it's right after the trade deadline. Normally any player traded after the deadline is intelligible for the playoffs and well, I don't see Las Vegas making it this year! Anyway, I could see some teams that are clearly out of it start trading players to Vegas for picks and "Future considerations" pertaining to the expansion draft.

As an unrealistic example, a deal that looks something like "Penguins trade Marc-Andre Fleury and a 3rd to Vegas for a 4th and the condition that Vegas takes Tom Kuhnhackl in the expansion draft" could happen sooner rather than later.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/CraigCustance/status/825467203445092354?s=09

I think this makes sense given it's right after the trade deadline. Normally any player traded after the deadline is intelligible for the playoffs and well, I don't see Las Vegas making it this year! Anyway, I could see some teams that are clearly out of it start trading players to Vegas for picks and "Future considerations" pertaining to the expansion draft.

As an unrealistic example, a deal that looks something like "Penguins trade Marc-Andre Fleury and a 3rd to Vegas for a 4th and the condition that Vegas takes Tom Kuhnhackl in the expansion draft" could happen sooner rather than later.

Only question really is that what happens to that player? They just get to sit at home and do nothing? Even if that player(s)'s team is out of the race, I doubt they want to do that.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Only question really is that what happens to that player? They just get to sit at home and do nothing? Even if that player(s)'s team is out of the race, I doubt they want to do that.

I don't know, paid vacations are nice.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For me this is very odd way of doing things. After teams are knocked out of the playoffs I could see--but say trading for Evander Kane and then shut him down? this causes me to ask more questions then I was already asking

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For me this is very odd way of doing things. After teams are knocked out of the playoffs I could see--but say trading for Evander Kane and then shut him down? this causes me to ask more questions then I was already asking

I've got doubts that anything like that would happen.

What could Las Vegas possibly offer a team for a guy that's on the ice now? Why would they offer it in the first place?

We'll give you our second round pick for Kane? Hard pass.

This is about Vegas making side deals to either pick players or not pick players. I think the league is giving the official sanction of McPhee doing his thing after March 1st, even though I'm sure he's been talking to other GMs for a while.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I could see some deals for some young guys from teams that may want to shed a contract so they can get into the college and undrafted free agent markets but Haase to many contacts after the trade deadline. They could then loan those guys back to their ahl clubs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Vegas won't be able to acquire any active player (NHL, AHL, ECHL) until later.

I think the main motivation is getting in on collegiate graduate (undrafted) signings and those CHLers that are eligible to be signed (IOW no longer draft eligible, aging out; undrafted).

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks for posting that so I didn't have to explain the active player thing.

This deadline just got super exciting with the amount of picks and prospects that are going to be swapped now.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yeah I think the only deals you may see will be futures to help other GMs around the league manage any expansion draft exposure risks they're unable/unwilling to resolve with other teams at the deadline, rather than leaving things unknown & unmanaged through to the offseason.

Kinda weird they start on Mar 1 instead of now, though. After Mar 1 Vegas will kinda have teams over a barrel (though maybe not as technically other teams can make moves after Mar 1 too).

Edit - Seravalli's tweets quoted above suggest they can deal "before Mar 1" if the payment is made, but thread title says "on Mar 1".

Last edited:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
It'll be Draft Picks For Future Considerations, or rights to low-level minor league players or unsigned picks outside of NA.

I don't think there's an issue if a club trades a player on an AHL club to the Knights; since LVGK don't have an AHL team, they should just play the rest of their season on their squad.

...but that player wouldn't count against the trading team's salary cap...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad