Vatanen

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I like this player and I was wondering how he's doing. I've red that he's not playing really well so far...is he turning things around? What do you guys expect from him this season?
He's a young player. There's nothing really to turn around. He's just learning. From what I've seen I think he can turn in a pretty reliable 18 minutes a night. We may have to wait until the midway point or so for the offense to come. There will be ups and downs this year.

Oct 18, 2011
honestly, the 1 mistake against the stars not withstanding, the last 2 games he has been probably the best dman. him or 23....

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So far I'd say he's been a good player for us, all things considered. He really hasn't been a liability in his own zone that much. He's made a couple questionable decisions pinching up the boards but that's to be expected because that's his game. He looked really dangerous offensively tonight too. He's done enough to hold his spot on the team.

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
If Souray and Sbisa jumped back in the lineup tommorow and the roster was my choice I would send Vatanen down.

Vatanen is/was supposed to be a high offense and a killer PP shot, but so far its looked relatively weak, and without strong offense his lack of size is more of an issue.

Lindholm has been beating him in the offensive areas and has impressed me much more this year. End of last year Vatanen was looking like he was going to be very useful, but so far been rather disappointing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
His offensive game has been very underwhelming(particularly on the PP where it's supposed to be a strength), but his defensive game has been solid, and he's been moving the puck nicely. Tonight, I thought, was the first night he looked consistently dangerous. That was nice to see. It's just unfortunate the rest of the wasn't as dangerous.

I really don't think there is anything to turn around. He's just learning the game, figuring things out, etc... mistakes are part of the process, and all things considered I think he's been pretty dependable in the role he's being asked to play.

As of right now, I wouldn't want him in a top 4 role, but I think that's an unrealistic expectation. Give him time to grow(his game, I mean) and figure things out.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Especially on the PP. FFS, every time he touches the puck he shoots. I get it, you've been encouraged to shoot, but don't be a bonehead about it.

That time against PHX or DAL this season when he had the puck at the point and the opposing defender LAYS DOWN A FULL SECOND BEFORE SAMI DOES ANYTHING.... And he hammers one right into the guy's shin FFS. That pissed me off:laugh:

Bbird80

Oct 2, 2005
Especially on the PP. FFS, every time he touches the puck he shoots. I get it, you've been encouraged to shoot, but don't be a bonehead about it.

Sami should use his accurate wrist shot more. But hey, about 90 % of his goals in FEL/AHL/NHL are slap shot goals so he's doing ok with that. And I believe more than half of those slap shots are one-timers.

Vatanen is a great passer as well, so him being on the PP (pass or shoot options always available) should generate goals anytime soon. Somehow they're not using the tools (Getz, Perry, Selanne, Fowler, Vatz) the right way.

Other than that, have you guys noticed how he seems to find spots for those breakaway passes? I'm not sure but it seems that he has something like 5-7 breakaway passes already but our forwards haven't been able to score on them yet.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I thought hes been pretty strong with Allen.. only a matter of time until he puts up a few points on the PP in a game and really catches fire imo

Jul 22, 2012
I think last night was his best game as a Duck. Good defensively and had a couple effective rushes that could have been easy goals.. Just got unlucky.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I think the biggest worry coming into the season was his ability to handle himself in his own zone and particularly battling around the net. So far I'd say he's done very well in that regard. He moves and passes the puck excellently. He might be the best d-man we've had at doing that since Scotty and Prongs (don't lose your minds over that comparison, I'm talking about one specific aspect). I love that he shoots the puck all the time. We gripe on Cam for his lack of shooting and Sami for his excess. If the forwards are battling, those shots will lead to goals.

The one area that troubles me is his pinching. When it works, great. He keeps the play alive and that's a good way to catch defending forwards flying the zone. But he does it SO much. Fortunately he's an excellent skater and covers for it most of the time. But odd-man rushes killed us yesterday and he needs to pick his moments better or at least only do it if he sees a forward is covering him.

But on the whole I feel like he's a great addition to our blueline. Him and Allen have been very solid together. The goals will come eventually and I can see him putting up around 30-40 points this year.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
I've been satisfied in how Vatanen has developed since last season. He's not a defensive liability anymore and he brings some positive things to our offense. He can handle and pass the puck in own zone, he can also bring the puck to offensive zone, which is quite important, because it's easier for opponent to defend in neutral zone if they know that defenders likely don't carry the puck, but pass it to forwards.

Yes, he's been shooting a lot, and maybe too much, but as it has been stated, Fowler doesn't shoot and his shooting sucks. Eventually Sami will get goals too, it's just a matter of time. I agree that he should concentrate not to shoot to shin pads. He's been pinching a bit too much too, which isn't entirely bad thing. Anyway, I think BB has noticed the pinching issue too and I'm sure Sami has got some feedback.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Vatanen in the dictionary = beast. Nuf said.

Seriously tho, I've been impressed with how good defensively he's been. A lot more flashy than Lindholm, but Lindholm and him a different players. Lindholm is like Lydman or Beauch, and Vatanen is like Lubo. I think once Sbisa comes back he will need to step up quickly and be consistent in order to get the minutes he was getting before.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California

I might be watching something different but I'm quite disappointed that he doesn't shoot it more when on the PP.

I've see multiple times where he's had the opportunity to unload it from the point and hesitates and makes a pass instead of putting towards the net. Shooting is his strength. Often not when he makes the pass instead of unleashing a 1 timer or canon from the point it results in a weak uncontested wrister from Fowler on the other side.

The PP has been dismal for two simple reasons IMO. First the entry into the zone and secondly trying to make to make to many passes. The puck needs to go on net for you to have a chance at scoring.

So for what it's worth in regards to Sami I wish he would shoot a whole hell of a lot more from what my eyes have seen. Apparently you see something different but i've seen many open looks gone by the wayside because he was too timid or too much hesitation to shoot and make the cross ice pass to Fowler who then makes a desperation weak wrister with no traffic on net.

Just my 2 cents.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I might be watching something different but I'm quite disappointed that he doesn't shoot it more when on the PP.

I've see multiple times where he's had the opportunity to unload it from the point and hesitates and makes a pass instead of putting towards the net. Shooting is his strength. Often not when he makes the pass instead of unleashing a 1 timer or canon from the point it results in a weak uncontested wrister from Fowler on the other side.

The PP has been dismal for two simple reasons IMO. First the entry into the zone and secondly trying to make to make to many passes. The puck needs to go on net for you to have a chance at scoring.

So for what it's worth in regards to Sami I wish he would shoot a whole hell of a lot more from what my eyes have seen. Apparently you see something different but i've seen many open looks gone by the wayside because he was too timid or too much hesitation to shoot and make the cross ice pass to Fowler who then makes a desperation weak wrister with no traffic on net.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure I am exaggerating when I say that he always shoots. I completely agree with your 1 timer point, as he seems opposed to trying one.

I agree with your assessment on the PP. It seems the PP is just pressing and thus over thinking and trying to be too fancy. Park Perry's butt(literally) in front of the goalie, and throw pucks at the net. There are times when no one is in front of the net and everyone is trying to set up for a fancy pass and snipe. That wasn't how our PP was successful because we don't have an Ovechkin or Stamkos to hammer home one timers despite not having a screen.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
He's learning, overall he's been solid for us and the offense will come sooner or later. I'm very pleased with both him and Lindholm.

DannoManno*

If Sami is in the offensive zone... He's going to keep that puck in there!!! That is why I love him so much... Fowler not so much (see fowlers flub on the backhander from Selanne in the last game with the leafs that he let go outside the blue line and killed the play). Sami just doesn't do that as often, and thus, I think he's awesome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->